What new series are you watching? *No Spoilers, Please*

We just finished watching Funny Woman on PBS Passport. It started off a bit slow but by the 2nd episode we really enjoyed it. Gotta love the early-mid 60's soundtrack. Apparently Sky TV has renewed it for another season.
If you catch it within 2 weeks of the PBS broadcast, you don't even need Passport to stream the 2 most recent episodes. I watched a couple episodes before giving up on it.
Oh, we have to Close Caption all the Brit series we watch. :LOL: As a bonus, the captioning on Funny Woman includes the title of the song being played.
I even have this problem at times with other series that don't have those strong accents, like when watching True Detective with they speak quietly and not clearly. But the accents take it to another level.

Last edited:
The actor who plays the young psychologist sidekick to the Vienna policeman [in Vienna Blood] is also in Funny Woman. He plays a writer in that series. He’s pretty good in both parts.

It took a couple of episodes of Funny Woman for us to remember where we had seen him before. :facepalm: Happens to us a lot. :rolleyes:

We just finished watching Funny Woman on PBS Passport. It started off a bit slow but by the 2nd episode we really enjoyed it. Gotta love the early-mid 60's soundtrack. Apparently Sky TV has renewed it for another season.

Oh, we have to Close Caption all the Brit series we watch. :LOL: As a bonus, the captioning on Funny Woman includes the title of the song being played.

There was a British TV police show that took place in Norther England near the Scottish border. Whenever the coppers interviewed a small town country person I had to use the captioning. They were positively unintelligible to my American ears. In the event of another WW, I think they could replace the Navajo Code Talkers.

By some strange coincidence, we were also 3 episodes in about the same time as GalaxyBoy and MichaelB. It's certainly intense. We previously watched Season 2 of Irvine Welsh's Crime; that was very good too. Looking forward to Mr. Whicher next.

I thought Blue Lights was one of the better shows I’ve seen in quite a while. I read it’s been renewed for a second series.

Edit to add: series 2 was filmed last year with an expected spring 2024 release in the UK. Don’t go googling about it unless you want a major spoiler!

Last edited:
I finished watching Blue Lights yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed the series.

Been watching Monsieur Spade and finding it more a time killer than anything. I have to wonder at the idea of picking Clive Owen for the leading role. There is nothing about him that brings Sam Spade to life IMO.

Just started watching Wild Card...

An interesting show so far... it is familiar territory but with new people...

I started Blue Lights on Brit Box. Just one episode, but it has potential.

FWIW, I found the Reunion episodes of “As Time Goes Bye” on BritBox. I always enjoyed Lionel Hardcastle’s dry wit and the look on his face whenever things went awry.

Been watching Monsieur Spade and finding it more a time killer than anything. I have to wonder at the idea of picking Clive Owen for the leading role. There is nothing about him that brings Sam Spade to life IMO.

Completely agree. We made it thru Ep1 but did not move forward. Owen's portrayal was a snoozer.

The new series of True Detective (this time with Jodie Foster) on HBO looks good. I'm only in one episode so far but found it compelling. They drop weekly on Sundays - 2 are available now.
I've been watching this. 4 episodes so far. It's pretty good. I just don't like waiting for the next episode to drop.

Agatha Christie's Poirot on PBS. Not sure if this qualifies as 'new' or 'old' (it's been on a while, but we just started watching the current series).

I'm curious what other's think of this show (w/o spoilers). We decided there were just too many characters, to many twists, and a few too many 'coincidences' (Poirot would just stumble across important clues in an unbelievable way) to make it worth our effort.

And since it's live TV, we can't pause or repeat a scene to discuss/unravel it, adding to making it hard to follow.

Plus, my wife and I just watch things differently. If I don't follow something, I want to pause and figure it out, so I can follow the rest of the show. She leans towards 'just keep watching, the context will become apparent'. But what if it doesn't? Then I'm lost.

And when I question her for clarification when it's all over, she may not have followed it as well as she thought (but generally better than me - though often, we each pick up on different things).

Anyone else watching this? Opinions?

-ERD50

Last edited:
If you had a Roku you could pause live TV. Or, if you had a Roku, you could add the PBS channel and then stream it for up to two weeks following the air date.

I have just watched another movie of The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher and continue to think they are very well done. Alas, I believe they are not going to make any more Mr. Witcher movies.

Great news! One of the best cringe-worthy comedies of all time is back! Curb Your Enthusiasm (HBO & MAX). Season 12 which I believe is the final season. The Adventures of Larry David. 5-stars!
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt19623376/?ref_=ext_shr_lnk

Don't have HBO so will wait for the DVD at the library. Have seen the previous 11 seasons. One of the funniest shows ever. I remember laughing so hard I started choking watching this.

Just finished Blue Lights based on recommendations here. I thought it was excellent. Can’t wait for season two. Thanks for the suggestion.

I'm enjoying "Loki" on Disney+. It's a Marvel Comics spinoff, but it's much more comedy than superhero. Owen Wilson costars as a detective from the Time Variance Authority, chasing Loki across time and universes, and he's really good in the part.

If you've been waiting for Oppenheimer to be released on streaming for no extra $ then your wait is over. We saw it on 2/16 on Peacock. 3+ hours but it kept our interest and, unlike Killers Of The Flower Moon , it did not seem like 3-hours. The movie covers his life thru the mid-1920's thru the mid-1950's. Not just 'Recommended' but 'Strongly Recommended'.

Edit: There were three or four ads prior to the movie starting but none during or after. Enjoy!

Last edited:
Reactions: jj
If you've been waiting for Oppenheimer to be released on streaming for no extra $ then your wait is over. We saw it on 2/16 on Peacock. 3+ hours but it kept our interest and, unlike Killers Of The Flower Moon , it did not seem like 3-hours. The movie covers his life thru the mid-1920's thru the mid-1950's. Not just 'Recommended' but 'Strongly Recommended'.

We watched it tonight on Peacock and we highly recommend it also.

We watched Leave The World Behind with Julia Robert’s last night. DW was angry at the ending, I thought it was ultimately pointless. YMMV

Edit: There were three or four ads prior to the movie starting but none during or after. Enjoy!
Just my opinion, but think these very long movies are considered a top 10/10 rating.

Never heard of Peacock...is there a deal for it? I'll have to check it out. I have wanted to watch Oppy.

Oppenheimer is free on Prime here in Canuckistan. Guess they must have gotten the Canadian rights to it.

Started watching season 2 of Halo. Watched the first series (which I thought was godawful) and despite not being a video gamer decided to watch the second series for some reason. It's pretty good scifi so far (up to Ep03)

I think it's mostly down to the actor playing Master Chief. If you ever watched the American Gods series, he played Mad Sweeney in it.

Just watched "Our House" on Amazon Prime. I liked it. A short 4 episode series. A woman comes home from a trip and finds her house has been sold and her possessions being moved out. Some interesting plot twists.

Back
Top Bottom