What's worth watching on Hulu?

Chuckanut

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I signed up for the $1 a month Hulu special in December.

So far I have not found one show on Hulu that is worth watching, other than ones I have already watched on PBS, the networks, or via disks from the library.

I'm just about to cancel this great deal, unless you folks can come up with a few shows worth watching.

I enjoy watching some great old series that are no longer produced - ER, Brothers & Sisters, currently watching Boston Legal (what a hoot!). We get Hulu free with our Sprint cell service.

I liked the originals:

The Mindy Project, Casual, Difficult People.

Haven't watched The Hawndmaid's Tale or The Looming Tower yet but plan to.

Also planning to watch the latest season of The Bridge, the Swedish-Danish version.

I haven't used Hulu.

What I found I like about Netflix is zero commercials, so I don't waste 15->20 minutes per hour watching commercials, and I can pause it at any time to go bathroom/answer phone/get a snack.

I hear their doc on the Fyre fest is pretty good (another one launches on netflix later this week too).

Not a huge fan of Hulu, but like the commercial free version for the broadcast/network shows that we do watch. As far as their original shows, I haven't watched any of them.

I like the application better than Directv Now, Sling, and Netflix...it just works. It never times out or fails to load, or just "not work" unlike the others that seem to always have some "buggyness" to them.

I signed up for a free 30 day trial to watch The Orville. I will probably cancel after that. There's already too much to pick from with Prime, Netflix, the library and Youtube.

I haven't used Hulu.

What I found I like about Netflix is zero commercials, so I don't waste 15->20 minutes per hour watching commercials, and I can pause it at any time to go bathroom/answer phone/get a snack.

+1

When I looked at what was available on Hulu last month, I saw very little of interest. So little that I didn't think even $1/month would be worth it to me, especially considering I have dozens upon dozens of unwatched movies and shows in my Netflix and Prime Video lists.

The Handmaid’s Tale (Hulu Original) is excellent.
We’ve also used Hulu for Killing Eve (BBC America).

I'm also trying out the 99 cent plan. Here are a few good ones I've found:

The Handmaid's Tale - I wasn't thrilled with the first couple of episodes but I got hooked later on and really enjoyed it.

The First - a series about the first manned mission to Mars, starring Sean Penn. This is not a spoiler but the show takes place on Earth and it's not really sci-fi.

Star Trek: Into Darkness - this movie isn't on Netflix streaming

Misfits - a British comedy/drama TV series - I just started watching and it looks pretty interesting

Is anybody else having problems with Netflix either buffering or "your show is not available right now, try later" error messages?

Is anybody else having problems with Netflix either buffering or "your show is not available right now, try later" error messages?

I haven't noticed it in the last couple of weeks so no problem here.

Watch season one of Pure. It is a Canadian series where a local Mennonite pastor works undercover within an organized crime network in order to clean up a drug trafficking problem in his community. Great acting with a sort of Breaking Bad flavor. Season two should be coming out on Hulu in a few months.

I enjoyed Bob Newhart’s understated humor. Hulu’s got his shows (both of them). It’s a good source for classic TV series you probably have forgotten!

New Tricks
Scott and Bailey
DCI Banks
Taggart

All of the above are British or Scottish detective series. If you don't like the genre, never mind. If you do, you might like them.

And for classic British laughs:

A Bit of Fry and Laurie

New Tricks
Scott and Bailey
DCI Banks
Taggart

All of the above are British or Scottish detective series. If you don't like the genre, never mind. If you do, you might like them.

And for classic British laughs:

A Bit of Fry and Laurie
Calico, thanks for posting that Hulu has Scott and Bailey. I've seen a few of these on PBS, but I want to see the whole series. JP

So far I have not found one show on Hulu that is worth watching, other than ones I have already watched on PBS, the networks, or via disks from the library.

I'm just about to cancel this great deal, unless you folks can come up with a few shows worth watching.
Chuckaunt,
Try the movie Lucky, with Harry Dean Stanton. I really liked it.
They recently added King of the Hill. It is great.
Handsmaids Tale is also very good.
JP

Calico, thanks for posting that Hulu has Scott and Bailey. I've seen a few of these on PBS, but I want to see the whole series. JP

All 33 episodes are there - enjoy! :)

Chuckaunt,
Try the movie Lucky, with Harry Dean Stanton. I really liked it.
They recently added King of the Hill. It is great.
Handsmaids Tale is also very good.
JP
BBC series The Detectorists is also very good.

Same here!

We’ve pretty much just been watching Showtime content that was available for a significant 3 month discount via Hulu. That’s been great!

One exception: Killing Eve from BBC America is now available on Hulu and we’ll probably watch that even if we have to get out the extra remote to mute commercials. Unless we can find it somewhere else without commercials, then it’s bye bye Hulu.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I’ll check those out - especially the UK detective shows.

Last edited:
We have the Hulu Plus without commercials. It's $11.99 a month. We watch all of the network shows (except CBS). It's cheaper than the DVR from the cable company. We have also found some good older shows like Eli Stone and we are currently watching the Bones series since we didn't watch that the first tine around. They have some decent original content and a few movies and documentaries as well. My main beef with them is the interface. It's not easy to find shows to watch but like Netflix, I go to my computer and browse for content and then add it to my watchlist.

We watch Hulu more than Netflix or Amazon.

I liked "The Bridge" (Bron in Danish)

It has subtitles, but it follows police in Denmark/Sweden investigating a murder on the bridge between Denmark and Sweden.

Thanks for the tips. I will check out some of them.

Ugh! to the commercials, though they are a lot more tolerable at 99¢ a month than $12 a month.

Back
Top Bottom