When is Amazon Prime not ?

kaneohe

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Saw an item I was interested in with Prime availability and a good price. During the process of ordering, it looked like it would take a few days extra which was fine since we wouldn't be home during a normal Prime delivery. However after checkout, the confirmation said delivery would be 2-4 wks+ out
which was too far out so I called to cancel the order and give feedback about the misleading ad and process.

Normally things are ok/fine. Wondering if this is becoming a trend?

Occasionally an item is not in stock. Some items are expected to be in stock in the near future and while have a delay.

We have so many options - Target, Walmart, BJs. Amazon is for discretionary items now, since you can't really be sure the item will arrive as they say.

I think Target will bring your order to the car. Haven't done that yet. Should I tip?
?

We have so many options - Target, Walmart, BJs. Amazon is for discretionary items now, since you can't really be sure the item will arrive as they say.

I think Target will bring your order to the car. Haven't done that yet. Should I tip?
?

target...........thanks for reminding me about Target. I checked out Walmart and while they have the item, there is no free shipping until you hit some minimum spend and apparently they don't even stock it locally.

Just checked Target after you mentioned it and it appears it is stocked in the local store. Just have to remember to order it online since I've had experience that you don't get the online price if you don't order it online even if you pick it up locally.

Just because you're Prime, doesn't mean the item/order always is. If it has the Prime badge, then you are getting free shipping, but not even always from amazon. Check the listing - this should show on the listing page, in your cart as well, before shipping.

Then, there are thousands (maybe more?) of 3rd party sellers. Some of them participate in what's called Seller-Fulfilled-Prime, where the seller ships it but still has to meet 2 day shipping in most cases. Still get the Prime logo on the listing.

Amazon also competes with 3rd party sellers, and will sometimes keep their offer, with the Prime badge, as the "buy box" seller of the item, even when they are out of stock, but keep the prime badge on it, just saying "in stock and ships on MM/DD." Or they'll do it when they know new stock is en route from suppliers.

Prime only "always" promises free shipping. Most of the time that's at most 2 days, often 1 day, depending on availability and your location.

tl;dr, inside baseball, it's complicated, etc.

On the other hand, I have ordered Prime items that at checkout indicated a week to a month to deliver, but have the item show up in 2-3 days.

Just because you're Prime, doesn't mean the item/order always is. If it has the Prime badge, then you are getting free shipping, but not even always from amazon. Check the listing - this should show on the listing page, in your cart as well, before shipping.

this was definitely a prime item and from Amazon LLC. Gotta give them credit tho for awesome customer service............somebody was definitely listening and followed up............today I got a message that the expected delivery date was Feb 3-5 so definitely more like what was advertised. I guess the mini-lecture on staining AMZN's reputation helped.

That's our experience with Amazon, too. Things can go wrong; nothing's perfect. You do have to pay attention to who the seller is and the estimated shipping time. But when something does go wrong, their customer service is top-notch.

IMHO, Prime's main value is as part of my cut-the-cable plan - OTA TV, Netflix, Prime Video and DVDs from the library.

Amazon is is about service(s) not price. Sometimes they are very price competitive, at other times I can find the same item cheaper at a local store on via Ebay. When I combine the 'free' shipping, the video offerings, and the extra 2% discount when I use my Prime Visa card I find Prime to be a good value at $10 a month. Just don't assume Amazon is as price competitive as it was 5 years ago. YMMV.

On the other hand, I have ordered Prime items that at checkout indicated a week to a month to deliver, but have the item show up in 2-3 days.

Ditto. And many items are foreign based shippers, and it takes forever for whatever it is to get through customs. The last two things that were supposed to take a month never showed up, and Amazon took the initiative to tell me they were taking too long, and would I like a refund. I accepted, and the items still never showed up.

I wish they told you if the items are not coming from a US based shipper. It would help to adjust expectations and make it easier to chose another seller.

Usually Amazon is quite clear about any delay. If wrong, of course they are going to let you off the hook. I think we even got a month free Prime once because something ordered was ultimately lost in the mail after bouncing around the country a few times.

I wish they told you if the items are not coming from a US based shipper. It would help to adjust expectations and make it easier to chose another seller.
I avoid this entire situation by avoiding items that are not at least fulfilled by Amazon. You risk fakes by ordering from third parties anyway.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom