Women with Hairy Legs and Armpits?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mountainsoft

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
How do you feel about women with hairy legs and arm pits? It seems like a lot of ladies in the younger generation (my daughter included) let their hair grow out, only shaving for special occasions. The younger men don't seem to mind, but I guess I'm stuck in my old ways and it kind of grosses me out. Hairy legs and pits seem more "masculine" to me, but I realize that's because of my own prejudices and cultural upbringing. Still, as someone who shaves their face every single day it seems kind of lazy to me to just let it all grow out.

Sheesh, I feel more narrow minded every day... :)

It doesn't bother me. Hair is a natural part of the human body, so I don't see what's gross about it. My cultural upbringing also taught me that women should shave their armpits and legs, but I guess that never stuck with me because it doesn't make sense. When you see a guy with a beard, do you think "Oh, that's gross, he should shave that"? And women are allowed to have hair on their head, but not their legs? Oh, and a woman is not expected to shave the hair on her arms but she is expected to shave the hair on her legs? Cultural conditioning is a very powerful thing and all of it seems so arbitrary to me.

As far as the...ummm...areas on women that are less visible to the public...I don't care about that either. Hair or no hair, it's all good. :)

Last edited:
Very European!

I'm 65 and still shave my armpits because I think it prevents the proliferation of smelly bacteria. My hair in general thinned out a bit post-menopause so my legs aren't as hairy as they used to be and I rarely bother shaving them.

What's funny is that the areas...ummm... that are less visible in public get all kinds of attention. I wouldn't know this were it not for discreet glances around the obligatory no-bathing-suit group shower in the women's changing room at the geothermal pools in Reykjavik.

A lot of the women's lib movement in the 60s and 70s was about this.
I grew up at that time and found the idea of shaving gross.
Then a backslash set in.

Now again more and more women seem to understand that the social pressure to shave body hair is part of body shaming.

How absurd is this: hair in its natural length on a leg or in an armpit is supposed to be ugly, much longer hair on a womans head is supposed to be desirable and beautiful.
Clean hair is not dirty, ugly or smelly.

It doesn't bother me. Hair is a natural part of the human body, so I don't see what's gross about it. When you see a guy with a beard, do you think "Oh, that's gross, he should shave that"?

As far as the...ummm...areas on women that are less visible to the public...I don't care about that either. Hair or no hair, it's all good. :)

If a guy keeps his beard groomed nicely, then no it doesn't bother me. If it looks all scraggly and unkept, then yes he should shave that. :) Would it bother you if a WOMAN let her facial hair grow out?

Ironically, I prefer a little hair in "less visible" areas. I don't want to feel like I'm with a little girl. Like a man's beard, it's all about grooming. I wouldn't want a wild jungle there either. :)

If a guy keeps his beard groomed nicely, then no it doesn't bother me. If it looks all scraggly and unkept, then yes he should shave that. :) Would it bother you if a WOMAN let her facial hair grow out?
I don't think most women have facial hair, do they?

Ironically, I prefer a little hair in "less visible" areas. I don't want to feel like I'm with a little girl. Like a man's beard, it's all about grooming. I wouldn't want a wild jungle there either. :)
That is ironic, how do you explain that? Social conditioning?

I couldn't care. They can do whatever. Last I knew it was still a free country.

DW was blessed with very light hair on her body. It's difficult for her to shave her legs and know where she's done. It's all good for me.

A more disturbing trend, to me, is young obese women in bikinis. Seriously, just cause they made it in your size doesn't mean you should wear it.

What other people do with their appearance does not bother me. Free country, etc. And have you seen the price on women's shavers? pack of 4 refills for the one i like $20!

Fashions and trends change, cultures differ, and it's natural to believe what was in style in our formative years is "best", and what others do is odd. It's better to more closely examine ones prejudices than to continue to judge others for them.

I don't think most women have facial hair, do they?

I've had a bit of dark facial hair most of my life- mostly upper lip. I was VERY self-conscious about it. Between regular electrolysis and the fact that most of it is grey now it's far less conspicuous, but I hated the way it looked. I don't use makeup or perfume and have never had a professional manicure or pedicure, but my two ironclad grooming rules were keeping my body in shape and not having any dark facial hair except for my eyebrows/eyelashes (and I tame my eyebrows a little). We all have our vanities!

more and more women seem to understand that the social pressure to shave body hair is part of body shaming.... hair in its natural length on a leg or in an armpit is supposed to be ugly, much longer hair on a womans head is supposed to be desirable and beautiful.

Sorry, I don't get the body shaming thing. I shave my face every day, and trim the body hair in my armpits and pubic areas regularly. This is just basic grooming so I don't end up looking like a cave man. Yeah, I could let it all grow out, it's "natural" after all. As long as I bathe regularly it's all good right? Imagine if we all looked like those cave men in the car commercials.

And yes, boys should have short hair on their head, and girls should have long hair! :)

Attachments

• caveman.jpg
    caveman.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 50
  • woman1.jpg
    woman1.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 52
  • woman2.jpg
    woman2.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 48

From what media seems to put out, the young girls shave in the less visible area, so maybe do not want to have to shave everything... now, I have no idea if this is true... just going by what I have seen on TV a couple of times, a talk show not an actual TV show showing anything... :blush:

I never shaved my armpits. But I do my legs in the summer. And if I didn't pluck my chin and upper lip I might have been twirling my 'stashe right now writing this.

As for you gents I am partial to a hairy torso. :cool:

I know guys that swim a lot that shave their body (except on their head). I know a lot of cyclists that shave their legs. Me personally, I shave my underarms and my wife shaves the hair off my chest to see better muscle tone. Any hair on my back gets taken off also for the same reason. I don't see the big deal.

How do you feel about women with hairy legs and arm pits? It seems like a lot of ladies in the younger generation (my daughter included) let their hair grow out, only shaving for special occasions. The younger men don't seem to mind, but I guess I'm stuck in my old ways and it kind of grosses me out. Hairy legs and pits seem more "masculine" to me, but I realize that's because of my own prejudices and cultural upbringing. Still, as someone who shaves their face every single day it seems kind of lazy to me to just let it all grow out.

Sheesh, I feel more narrow minded every day... :)

Yes - you are a bit narrow minded. All those poor ladies who had to shave for what - the last 50 years? to meet modern “cultural norms”.

In high school in the 70's, a group of girls and I would take the football team kool-aid and cookies during summer 2-a-days. One of the girls hosted a foreign exchange student from Germany one summer, and the team figured out she'd be coming with my friend. So, they all gathered around the car when I pulled up, acting like teen-aged boys would in such a situation. She was beautiful in the face, and was tall and lean and quite striking.

But when she stuck her leg out of the back seat of my 2-door car, and they saw the mass of hair on her leg, then raised her arm to move the seat forward and her sleeveless blouse revealed her underarm hair... Well, it's a sight I'll never forget. Never saw the air go out of a situation so quickly in my life. :) It was something our Midwestern bumpkins had never experienced before.

Now it doesn't bother me. I still shave. Just makes me feel better.

Last edited:
I never trusted any woman that had hairier legs than me.

Reminds me of the Bavarian beermaids in the Munich beer halls in 1970. I was always impressed how they could deliver 6 liters of beer (an masse) in each arm at the same time. They were au natural with body hair.

OMG...they're women?

I thought they were spiders......I guess that explains all the yelling when the can of Raid was activated.

Double post

Funny! But no worse than when a bald guy grows a tacky, frizzy beard that makes him look like his head is on upside down, and is growing pubic hair to boot.

Sorry, I don't get the body shaming thing. I shave my face every day, and trim the body hair in my armpits and pubic areas regularly. This is just basic grooming so I don't end up looking like a cave man. Yeah, I could let it all grow out, it's "natural" after all. As long as I bathe regularly it's all good right? Imagine if we all looked like those cave men in the car commercials.

And yes, boys should have short hair on their head, and girls should have long hair! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom