Your brilliant idea here ...

Every once in awhile I have a brainstorm. I imagine you have them too. So why not share it here?
OK,here goes:

I think we could learn a lesson from grocery stores, when it comes to clothing storage. Grocery stores know how to make things look appealing and easy to put in the grocery cart. They put the expensive items about waist to chest high because people are more likely to go for something placed like that, than for something down low by their shins. Also these expensive items are not hidden away in drawers.

So, instead of keeping our clothes inside of dressers, and having to lean over and open and close drawer after drawer every morning, we can keep our clothing in open baskets, all located about waist high and none down low like drawers are. One basket is for socks, one for underwear, one for shorts, one for shoes, one for bras, and so on. Then to get dressed we can just walk down an aisle in the dressing room with our cart, plucking one item from each basket, and at the end of the aisle there would be something exactly the right height to sit on while we don these articles of clothing.

Actually, since I live alone, I recently tried putting this idea into effect along one wall in my (very large) bedroom and for me it works beautifully! I can get dressed much faster and with less aggravation since I have no problem seeing everything and finding exactly the items I need or want. I use my laundry cart and it is so easy and efficient, and being a tall person I love not having to bend over and rummage through low drawers. I have a triple dresser on the other side of the room, but I am not using it right now because I think this is a better designed system.

Such fun to experiment like this, and in retirement there is NOBODY to tell me I can't. :D

USA should mirror the stricter laws like in SE Asia. For chewing gum and litterering, you can wacked with a cane. Caught with drugs, you get the death penalty.
A long recoil submachine gun. That fires automatically when someone walks across your lawn.:LOL:

Toilet with integrated scale, so you could get a before and after set of readings.

There are a lot of health monitors now that measure sleep, continuous glucose measurements, exercise, why not learn more? Paired with a scale integrated into the dinner room table and the ability to announce what's going on your plate, you could have the whole input/output picture documented. Maybe that would show you you're tending to dehydration or constipation and you could address it before it went too far.

I hope that posting these ideas here counts as "prior art" so no patent troll will sit on the idea (no pun intended), preventing the idea becoming reality.

A 13 month calendar where all months are 28 days (4 weeks exactly). Every year gets one extra day between a Saturday and Sunday to make 365. Every fourth year gets two extra days between a Saturday and a Sunday to make 366.

My calendar ideas go the other direction. Instead of dividing the year into quarters, divide into 4-month blocks. One less quarterly report to generate every year. Think of the productivity gains.

Alternately, make months 36 or 37 days long. Only 10 monthly reports per year. Or maybe 40-41 days so it works with the new style "quarters".

I kind of lost interest in pushing these ideas when I retired and no longer had to do a monthly report. :dance:(I do give DW a quarterly state of the finances report though.)

OK,here goes:

I think we could learn a lesson from grocery stores, when it comes to clothing storage. Grocery stores know how to make things look appealing and easy to put in the grocery cart. They put the expensive items about waist to chest high because people are more likely to go for something placed like that, than for something down low by their shins. Also these expensive items are not hidden away in drawers.

So, instead of keeping our clothes inside of dressers, and having to lean over and open and close drawer after drawer every morning, we can keep our clothing in open baskets, all located about waist high and none down low like drawers are. One basket is for socks, one for underwear, one for shorts, one for shoes, one for bras, and so on. Then to get dressed we can just walk down an aisle in the dressing room with our cart, plucking one item from each basket, and at the end of the aisle there would be something exactly the right height to sit on while we don these articles of clothing.

Actually, since I live alone, I recently tried putting this idea into effect along one wall in my (very large) bedroom and for me it works beautifully! I can get dressed much faster and with less aggravation since I have no problem seeing everything and finding exactly the items I need or want. I use my laundry cart and it is so easy and efficient, and being a tall person I love not having to bend over and rummage through low drawers. I have a triple dresser on the other side of the room, but I am not using it right now because I think this is a better designed system.

Such fun to experiment like this, and in retirement there is NOBODY to tell me I can't. :D

Great idea.

I created something vaguely similar in my snowbird condo.

I have 2 large walk-in closets (as well as a full suite of bedroom furniture).

IKEA sells a mesh basket & frame system called the Algot. https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S79276166/

I put one of these in one of the walk-in closets. It holds my undies, bras, socks (all 2 pair for the few chilly days in FL :LOL: plus sport socks), nighties, and bathing suits. Tops, bottoms, and dresses occupy the rest of the closet space. I now literally get dressed in the closet.

The drawers in the bedroom furniture are either empty or holding things like wrapping paper and ribbon, extra bedding, etc.

My Algot unit is sitting on the floor of the closet (I'm not tall and am actually shrinking with age). It can also have wheels attached or be hung on the wall as part of the IKEA-created system. I like that it is wire mesh, and therefore, allows things to be seen without having to open the drawer...and also allows stored things to air out and avoid potentially becoming musty.

omni

Alexa + Firestick can do this.

Where do I get the app that adds volume control for my TV, using firestick? As of now, I have to use a separate control to change the volume on my TV. Thanks in advance for the info. :flowers:

The next time QE and negative interest loans don't provide enough economic boost try any/all of these:

- redefine the minute to have 61 seconds, think of all the demand for new clocks, new phones, software updates, etc.

- redefine the foot to be the length of the current President's foot, more economic stimulus, and it repeats every time a new President takes office!

- replace $100 currency notes with $99.99 notes, and everything will seem cheaper, so more stuff will be purchased

- people love cash back, so require merchants give cash back on cash purchases

Toilet with integrated scale, so you could get a before and after set of readings.

There are a lot of health monitors now that measure sleep, continuous glucose measurements, exercise, why not learn more? Paired with a scale integrated into the dinner room table and the ability to announce what's going on your plate, you could have the whole input/output picture documented. Maybe that would show you you're tending to dehydration or constipation and you could address it before it went too far.

I hope that posting these ideas here counts as "prior art" so no patent troll will sit on the idea (no pun intended), preventing the idea becoming reality.

You and Redduck should collaborate. Maybe Apple would buy you two out.

Also, and I won't charge you for this idea, you could have a chair which monitors your added weight while eating and talks to your smartphone or smarty-pants-watch.

And while we are at it, how about a toilet which can adjust to the direction guys are spraying out at.

Last edited:
Most people don’t realize this, but many smartphones have a built in flashlight and if you have an Apple watch, there is a flashlight on those too.

It would be superexpensive to attach an iPhone or Apple watch to a purse :LOL:

Flood the market with pictures of women who do not color their hair. Make this practice look beautiful.

Reactions: W2R
I would propose a Sales Tax to pay for a universal health care system. I have no idea what percentage tax would be needed but everyone would be paying based on their spending.

Everyone would have access to health care. The world would continue to spin on its axis.

I would propose a Sales Tax to pay for a universal health care system. I have no idea what percentage tax would be needed but everyone would be paying based on their spending.

Everyone would have access to health care. The world would continue to spin on its axis.

Based on something I vaguely remember listening to on NPR, we would have to increase the tax brackets by 30% each in order to pay for universal health care. That would mean the lowest bracket would be 40%. I would guesstimate that the sales tax rate would have to be higher than that.

Bold by me. Not trying to be political, but isn't the cost kind of important to know before enacting something?

I like the smell of fresh cut lumber. I like juicy greasy hamburgers. Every Home Depot and Lowe’s should have a burger joint in their lumber section. If you’re in Texas then Whataburger. California then In-N-Out.
The ambiance is compelling.

When my son was about seven he suggested that electrical cords should change color if they are live.

I would like to see cul-de-sacs or blocs of homes all with solar systems that connect to battery storage system. In times of natural disaster, smart meters on the homes would report line or socket damage. If the system survived intact it would automatically disconnect from the grid and send the utility a message to that effect, allowing the utility workers to concentrate their efforts on neighborhoods that need their assistance. If there was damage the system would not accept electricity from those homes, but it would still provide electricity to undamaged circuits. It would also have the capability of disconnecting the 220 sockets in all homes, while leaving the 110 sockets live.

Last edited:
Based on something I vaguely remember listening to on NPR, we would have to increase the tax brackets by 30% each in order to pay for universal health care. That would mean the lowest bracket would be 40%. I would guesstimate that the sales tax rate would have to be higher than that.

Very Vague.
Just look North at Canada, it's pretty much what they do, and all Federal tax brackets are far below 40%

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-ag...dividuals-current-previous-years.html#federal

"
Federal tax rates for 2018

• 15% on the first $46,605 of taxable income, +
  • 20.5% on the next $46,603 of taxable income (on the portion of taxable income over 46,605 up to $93,208), +
  • 26% on the next $51,281 of taxable income (on the portion of taxable income over $93,208 up to $144,489), +
  • 29% on the next $61,353 of taxable income (on the portion of taxable income over 144,489 up to $205,842), +
  • 33%of taxable income over $205,842.

"

:dance::dance::dance:
:LOL::LOL::LOL:

You are all so funny! I want to “like” the posts but this isn’t Facebook (which is okay).

:horse:

I like the smell of fresh cut lumber. I like juicy greasy hamburgers. Every Home Depot and Lowe’s should have a burger joint in their lumber section. If you’re in Texas then Whataburger. California then In-N-Out.
Entice the consumer to buy. In Hershey PA and Magic Kingdom Main Street USA in Florida there is chocolate smells that get pumped into the air. Makes the tourists go bonkers.

Try having your greasy hamburger at a Cabelas store during an upcoming road trip. They have an outdoor themed restaurant usually near the section with smokers and barbecue grills. Pretty close to what you are envisioning. You might even want to pick up a nice smoker while you are there ;)

I would like to see cul-de-sacs or blocs of homes all with solar systems that connect to battery storage system. In times of natural disaster, smart meters on the homes would report line or socket damage. If the system survived intact it would automatically disconnect from the grid and send the utility a message to that effect, allowing the utility workers to concentrate their efforts on neighborhoods that need their assistance. If there was damage the system would not accept electricity from those homes, but it would still provide electricity to undamaged circuits. It would also have the capability of disconnecting the 220 sockets in all homes, while leaving the 110 sockets live.
This could easily be done today, if people were willing to pay for it.

When parking at the grocery store, walmart etc, I always park next to a buggy return area. The parking space next to them are wider than normal, so nobody door bumps my new truck. Plus, it is easier to unload, then stick the buggy in a return slot.
Only other thing I can think of is that I used to hate sorting socks. I threw away all of my different brand and color of socks and just bought all black in the same brand. Now any two socks I pick up match.

Back
Top Bottom