Stuck with a TIMESHARE. Advice how to get out? It’s messing with ER numbers

Had one down at Padre Island. used it for 20 years and watched the annual fees $295 clime to $895 . 2006 called the owner and asked how to sell it back. They only offered to deed it back for free after I paid $450 to complete the title search. I guess I got lucky.

I also wondered if I could have quick deeded over to just anyone for free? And they assume dues etc..Never pursued thinking,it sounded shady..

We owned a timeshare for many years and used to exchange it for other properties. At the time it made sense, but now it’s so easy to find and book rentals online. We stopped using the timeshare and canceled our exchange company membership, but continued to pay annual maintenance fees. Finally we took advantage of a program offered by the developer to give back ownership at zero cost, but at least we are off the hook for annual fees. Check with the developer to see if they have such a program.

There are some message boards where you can sell timeshares. I'll have to see if my sister remembers what it was. We inherited two from my parents. One, DW and I actually use regularly up in Wine Country. The other we could never exchange or use, so we sold it......for $.01. Lost the $10K my parents paid, but we got out of the $1K yearly fees.

There are some message boards where you can sell timeshares. I'll have to see if my sister remembers what it was. We inherited two from my parents. One, DW and I actually use regularly up in Wine Country. The other we could never exchange or use, so we sold it......for $.01. Lost the $10K my parents paid, but we got out of the $1K yearly fees.

You can sell on:
https://tug2.net/timeshare_advice/how-to-sell-your-timeshare.html
Small fee to join and worth it.

Or sell on Ebay

We took over my parents timeshare in Kauai when Mom was unable to travel anymore. It was a lovely, old place right on the ocean. We stayed there twice, the yearly maintenance costs doubled each year.(did I say it was an old place, easily 1960's) We decided to give it back, had to wait until someone wanted to buy it (which happened within a couple of months).
All of the shares "expired" on a certain date anyway, and they remodeled the entire place. We got an offer to rebuy, not as a time share, but as full owner of a condo. Couldn't afford the million dollar price tag! And we had concluded we liked the option of going other places,
Nice memories, though.

Many years ago I attended a timeshare sales presentation by Marriott because 1) they offered a gazillion points for attending and 2) I was genuinely considering buying one. In my case, the heavy sales pressure turned me off, and had me quite suspicious. Still, I was giving it serious thought based on the numbers the salesperson showed me.
Fortunately I chose not to take the bait. I was wondering if I made the correct decision for the entire drive home. Back in the reality and sober confines of my home, I discovered the "true facts" of the numbers and realized what an awful decision it would have been.
Car salesman, con artists, and timeshare salesmen are good at what they do.
So it doesn't surprise me how many people fall for a timeshare to their later regret. I don't judge them; we're all human and it's easier for some to fall prey than others, especially to convincing salespeople.

TUG has a page listing the phone numbers for the exit departments for many timeshare companies.

We have been through two time share 'presentations'. I spent my career in sales. I had heard about them and decided to attend one where we were staying in Ormand Beach. It was supposed to last for one hour and they promised to give a $100. check.

I found the pitch entertaining. DW found it intimidating. When we did not bite a second pressure saleperson was sicked on us to buy some dreadful vacation club membership. We declined. We did get our $100 but I had to ask for it and they clearly were not happy with me. So what. DW said not more and that she could see why some people would sign just to get out of there. We did look the resort up on the timeshare re sale page. What they were selling for $15K was listed as an asking price on tug for $3K-$5K

Second time was in Thailand. We 'won' one week at Twin Sands Resort in Thailand. We were travelling in Thailand and had no plans so we went. Cost was 60 Euro (good faith money I guess)-about $90. The resort was very nice-newly built.. Had the presentation over lunch. The British salesman quickly realized that we would not buy so we just sat and had a wonderful lunch with him and some great conversation about his travels. We went back two years later and did the exact same but for only five days. The company was Absolute. After the first time we looked it up on the web. Nothing but red flags from people who were sorry they had signed up.

Not for us but both were certainly experiences for us.

Back
Top Bottom