20 Most Hated Movies

The only movie we ever walked out on was " Lost in Translation ". Awful !

"Lost in Translation" was one of 3 bombs I saw in 2003. The other two were "My Boss's Daughter" and "Thirteen," the latter my ladyfriend at the time and I walked out near the end.

But the movie I hated the most was "Tarzan, the Ape Man," starring Bo Derek (1981). It was so bad that during the slow-motion snake wrestling scene someone in the audience yelled out, "When is this going to be over?!" LOL, that (the audience member yelling, not the snake-wrestling scene) was the best part of that awful movie.

I would have to say, "The Pledge" with Jack Nicholson. Horrible movie, would have walked out if it wasn't a family outing. Now we all blame each other as to who picked that gem.

My wife and I almost walked out of "Kill Bill vol 1" due to the excessive violence.

I walked out at the end of Braveheart and stayed in the lobby. I couldn't stand being in there when I realized they would be so cruel.

The other one I walked out early on was something like The Cook, the Thief, the lover etc. Ugh, didn't like it at all! My husband walked out shortly after I did. If it hadn't been the dollar show, we would have asked for a refund. I left when I saw worms all over the food in the kitchen, being served at a fancy restaurant. I understand later in the film that they cooked a person.

I watched The Cook.....on Netflix. I did finish it, why I don't know. I was searching for Helen Mirren movies. Boy she really has made some weird movies. Totally bad movie.

My girlfriend and I really did walk out of Last Tango in Paris many many years ago. It was just too much for our young 23 year old eyes.

I've seen most of those films, liked some of them and think a couple were really well made. Just shows we all look for different things in films. I agree with Nords that really bad movies are an entirely different category.

My daughter spent a semester studying in Florence and one of the students in the program was Peter Weller, aka Robocop. She had a few stories to tell about him. On the first day when they were all getting to know each other he introduced himself and promptly announced he didn't want to be called Robocop - so of course, the rest of the group called him nothing else for the entire semester.

I liked a lot of the OP's Comcast selection. I almost walked out in boredom from Priest of Love about DH Lawrence.

Was dragged along with DW and her sister to see Walk in the Clouds at the Jersey Shore and practically snored through it. When the lights came up I looked around at the crowded theater and locked eyes with the only other man in the place. We both looked around again, came back to each other and burst out laughing.

Last edited:
I've seen most of those films, liked some of them and think a couple were really well made. Just shows we all look for different things in films. I agree with Nords that really bad movies are an entirely different category....

True, most of those film were well and carefully made and many had great critical acclaim--they're not really bad movies, they're good movies a lot of people don't like. I like the Seinfeld riff on English Patient.

Really bad movies that we actually saw include Cabin Boy.

Ditto Sarah's comments on violence. I tend to avoid overly violent movies.
+2. I will not go to a horror/fright flick normally. The only two exceptions were probably Silence of the Lambs and The Exorcist as they seemed "mainstream." I've never seen Freddie, Chainsaw, Last House and that genre. I did finally see some of Carrie on TV about 20 years after it aired, not sure why I watched other than free on TV...

I don't want to watch anyone or anything suffer as entertainment, don't get that at all...to each his own. I have a SIL who just loves "scary movies" - can't be too gory for her.

Last edited:
Another Clockwork Orange hater here. I was also taken to it on a date. He didn't like it either. Big mistake.

Stange two people saw this on a date. So not a "date movie".

Stange two people saw this on a date. So not a "date movie".
Don't disagree, but many may have been like me, before readily available reviews on the internet. The only Kubrick I was familiar with was 2001: A Space Odyssey, which I considered wonderful. When Clockwork Orange came out, I assumed it would be great due to 2001. Couldn't have been more wrong - I made it about 20 minutes in both times, many years apart, I tried to watch it on free TV. Was totally repulsed...but I realize there was a considerable audience who evidently like it. YMMV

Clockwork Orange a date movie? Even in my wilder years I wouldn't think of it.

The "Saw" movies were really bad imo. Although when Dr. Phil cut off the wrong foot...I laughed pretty hard. My teenage son insisted we see them.

I always assumed people had some idea or basic awareness of a film's plot before choosing to see it at the cinema, but the comments on this thread show I am wrong.

I always assumed people had some idea or basic awareness of a film's plot before choosing to see it at the cinema, but the comments on this thread show I am wrong.
We certainly do today, but 20-40 years ago when some of these movies premiered, we didn't. Clockwork Orange was 1971, I was 17 years old then! Thanks for reminding me how old I am...

And it used to be a movie was a cheap date, so we just picked whatever looked best for that day sometimes based on little info (stars, directors, basic plot). The date was the point, more than the movie.

As expensive as movies are today (or as cheap as I've become), we carefully research beforehand mostly using Movies | Movie Trailers | Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes. Right or wrong, if a movie does poorly on that site, we won't go no matter what anyone else tells us - we'll just wait for it to run on TV.

Last edited:
OK, I will put out two stinker... but can not remember their names... maybe someone will (or I will have to look them up)...

Both are Sci-fi... the first is one where at the end the guy is riding a worm... it was a big budget film, but they ran out of money and the scene was out of the 50s where they had the guy in front of a video... really bad...

The second was the John Travolta move he did based on the Hubbard book.... really bad...

Now, these are not the two worst movies I have ever seen... there were some real stinkers that I saw on DVD... but these two I saw in the theater....

By the way.... I think my BIL had the worst movie ever on DVD.... Attack of the Killer Tomatoes....

Attack of the Killer Tomatoes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

OK, I will put out two stinker... but can not remember their names... maybe someone will (or I will have to look them up)...

Both are Sci-fi... the first is one where at the end the guy is riding a worm... it was a big budget film, but they ran out of money and the scene was out of the 50s where they had the guy in front of a video... really bad...

The second was the John Travolta move he did based on the Hubbard book.... really bad...

Now, these are not the two worst movies I have ever seen... there were some real stinkers that I saw on DVD... but these two I saw in the theater....

By the way.... I think my BIL had the worst movie ever on DVD.... Attack of the Killer Tomatoes....

Attack of the Killer Tomatoes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Battlefield Earth & Dune.

Similar experience to Martha's with Clockwork Orange. Finally got my nerve up after several months to ask one of the cutest girls I'd ever seen on a date. The only movie being shown inthe small college town was "the current Kubrick movie". Hey, 2001 Space Odessey wasn't too bad, let's go......

We left about 3/4 of the way through the movie. As I remember it, we both looked at each other in the parking lot, said goodnight, and walked in silence our seperate ways back to our dorms.

Never even talked to her again.

Became the penultimate "bad date" that all others were judged by.

YES.....Thanks... except Dune was the first one

Still, both stinkers...
DW adores (understating here) Sting, so I got dragged to Dune. Even she agreed it was awful...

Loved the movie also. I've always skipped the scene where the natives kill the water buffalo in a ceremony. Too disturbing to this old animal lover.

Me too. Just too horrible. Always cover my eyes during that scene.

DW adores (understating here) Sting, so I got dragged to Dune. Even she agreed it was awful...
Dune was so bad they made it twice. Neither did well, and the special effects were bad both times. There's another underway.

I always thought The Adventures of Pluto Nash was among the worst movies, but IMDB gives it a 3.6. Very bad, but not the worst. Here's a list of the bottom 100 of IMDB. At least one film mention in this thread made it (Battlefield Earth) IMDb Bottom 100

20 Dumb and Dumber Never saw it but I have a friend who loves it.
19 The Blair Witch Project Liked it when I saw it
18 Beowulf didn't see it
17 Open Water Heard of it. Haven't seen it.
16 Pulp Fiction Liked it when I saw it.
15 Cloverfield Liked it when I saw it on a big screen but I can see how the handheld camerawork can annoy people
14 Brokeback Mountain didn't see it. Not interested
13 Waterworld Agree. It was pretty lame.
12 Epic Movie never heard of it
11 RoboCop Liked it at the time.
10 The Wicker Man Saw all of it. Terrible movie.
9 A Clockwork Orange I've seen this several times. Disturbing but worthwhile.
8 Last Tango In Paris Boring
7 Pirate of the Carribbean: Dead Man's Chest Never saw it. No interest
6 Eyes Wide Shut Saw it. OK but wouldn't see it again.
5 Ishtar Boring
4 The English Patient OK movie.
3 The Exorcist Seen it several times. Classic but dated.
2 Leaving Las Vegas Never saw it.
1 Natural Born Killers Good but violent

The movie I wished I had walked out of was "The Hunger" with Catherine Deneuve and David Bowie.

Last edited:
Dune was so bad they made it twice. Neither did well, and the special effects were bad both times. There's another underway.

I always thought The Adventures of Pluto Nash was among the worst movies, but IMDB gives it a 3.6. Very bad, but not the worst. Here's a list of the bottom 100 of IMDB. At least one film mention in this thread made it (Battlefield Earth) IMDb Bottom 100

Interesting that I have only seen two of these movies on the list... but I think there are some real stinkers that should be on there...

I found one that I was looking...... Dogville... this was one of the ones that I rented the DVD.... lucky we had rented two.....

I am surprised to read that it won awards!!!...

Dogville - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"The story of Dogville is narrated by John Hurt in nine chapters and takes place on a stage with minimalist scenery. Some walls and furniture are placed on the stage, but the rest of the scenery exists merely as white painted outlines which have big labels on them; for example, the outlines of gooseberry bushes have the text "Gooseberry Bushes" written next to them."

The film grossed $1,535,286 in the US market and $15,145,550 from the rest of the world for a total gross of $16,680,836 worldwide. In the opening US weekend it did poorly, grossing only $88,855

Some Bad Movies are so well known for being bad they're considered "classic" and get voted higher in IMDB's system. Some of Ed Wood's films come to mind, such as Plan 9 From Outer Space. The equivalent in music are Rock Stars so ugly some people say they're "cute".

Back
Top Bottom