60's Girl Groups

73ss454

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
The girl singing groups of the 60's were the best. If you have a favorite please post it here.

This one is for you Ha, I know you like the high hair. You can actually buy t shirts with them on the front.

La La Brooks sang with the Crystals and the Blossoms in the 60's. She is on one of the tapes I will post as the lead singer of The Do Ron Ron with the Crystals even though she was lip sinking and never was one of the original girls who originally sang the song.

YouTube - The Shirelles - Will You Love Me Tomorrow (Live, 1964)

I'm one of those who feel that popular music took a wrong turn with the English Invasion in the early 60s.

My favorites were not these girl groups, but Jerry Lee, Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Ray Charles and the other 50s rock and roll singers/players. In those days we still had post basketball game dances where jitterbug was the deal. This music is perfect for fast dancing.

But the girl groups were terrific, a more innocent time than today for sure.

Ha

Darlene Love was with the Blossoms that was an off shoot of the Crystals. Many of the same members back and forth when ever Phil Spector need them.

Usually 50 years after the original recordings the groups don't sound as good. Not the case here with the Chantels.

I, too, was not a big fan of the Girl Groups of the 60's -- had more to do with the "bubblegum" lyrics, however. I did like the sound of the lead singer's (Varetta Dillard?) voice on this song:

'Foolish Little Girl'

"Foolish Little Girl" is a great number by the Shirelles:

If you enjoy the Girl Group sound as much as I do, and I enjoy that sound only second to The Beatles, then check out this box set: "Girl Group Sounds: One Kiss Can Lead to Another." I just got it for $55 two weeks ago, and I love it. It has 120 tracks! (BTW: Carole King was extremely instrumental in creating the memorable melodies of this Sound.)

Also, for a fun behind-the-scenes look at the creation of this music, check out Always Magic in the Air: The Bomp and Brilliance of the Brill Building Era. (There was a reason many of the lyrics were "bubblegum, for example. It was thought at the time that this music--aimed primarily at teeny-bopper girls--was just a bunch of flash-in-the-pan hits, never to last beyond the season each was a Top 40 hit. This was before Golden Oldies, CD re-issues, and so forth. The writers did not predict that many of these tunes would be fondly remembered to this day.)

Back
Top Bottom