60's Girl Groups

I love Doo Wop and all the oldies, but the girl groups of the 60's are by far the best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_cRHw8PAPA&feature=relatedI'm one of those who feel that popular music took a wrong turn with the English Invasion in the early 60s.

My favorites were not these girl groups, but Jerry Lee, Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Ray Charles and the other 50s rock and roll singers/players.

Ha

Without disagreeing, which I do, it's ironic that the Beatles, Stones, Zeppelin, and other British groups were heavily influenced by Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Carl Perkins, etc., as well as many of the old blues players, like Muddy Waters...

My favorite girl group, from the 70s though...

Without disagreeing, which I do, it's ironic that the Beatles, Stones, Zeppelin, and other British groups were heavily influenced by Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Carl Perkins, etc., as well as many of the old blues players, like Muddy Waters...

Not ironic at all, white musicians have been taking black music and styles to the bank since before Pat Boone did Little Richard. But the beat of the music was changed from black to white, and that is a very big change. Obviously a change that was welcome to many of the young peope who had money to buy records. Have you ever checked the average age of all those screaming Beatles' fans in the early years? I want to hold your hand:confused:

It is also my opinion that much of that music depended heavily on drugs, especially acid, to make it interesting. If you were straight, you were bored.

Ha

Ok, I gotta ask. Most of those sleek hairdos WERE wigs, correct? :cool:
I doubt it, but I am not sure. The back girls I went to HS with straightened and ironed their hair and had hairdos pretty much like the ones you see on these old videos.

Ha

I would be crazy not to admit they are entertaining, but don't you think that the rhythms area bit boring? Kind of a walking or strolling rhythm.

Ha

Nope, I just love this stuff. Makes me want to go out into the garage and start up the old Chevelle.

Nope, I just love this stuff. Makes me want to go out into the garage and start up the old Chevelle.

That must be it. I never had one.

BTW, be sure you open the garage door and some windows too!

Ha

I would be crazy not to admit they are entertaining, but don't you think that the rhythms area bit boring? Kind of a walking or strolling rhythm.

Ha

Walking and strolling is good since I can't jump around like I used to.:cool:

Hey Ha, does this make you happy? (heh)

It does indeed. I have that movie, and I have copied some moves from some of the dancers. The couple that is highlighted at 1:45-2:00 are Dean Colins and Jewel McGowen. ( How about the name Jewel for a baby born in the '20s? Only Jewel I ever knew personally ws my Aunt Jewel. I think the name Jewel has gone the way of Elmer and Gertrude) I used to try to steal moves from this movie. My Lindy has sadly slowed down because of the increased ibuprofen needed when I get home.

Here are some terrific Lindy Hoppers from the late 50s, more my era. I started dancing when I was about 14, to this band (recorded) at CYO dances. I'd hang out along the side and watch how it was done, then get a girl in my neighborhood to practice with me. How bout the dirty bop to Hank Ballard's Work With Me Annie? Very popular among parochial school girls.

If I did any of those moves I'd need more than ibuprofen. I do remember Bill Haley and the Comets though. "rock and roll is here to stay"

It is also my opinion that much of that music depended heavily on drugs, especially acid, to make it interesting. If you were straight, you were bored.

Ha

Hard to deny that drugs influenced much of the music of that era, but I would submit that much of classical, jazz, and rock music fits that description. Does one need LSD to appreciate Van Gogh?

Possibly... :LOL:

well....they're girls...in their 60's...and singin'...

Thumbs Up.gif

Here is Darlene Love on Dave Letterman singing some Christmas songs. She was the lead of the Blossoms and also sang with the Crystals on occassion. Now this girl has some lungs.

You don't see this group much. That's the Gazzari dancers that aren't doint much dancin in the back.

Take a look at the album cover. La La Brooks and Darlene Love together, these were 2 of the best girl singers, even today. I posted them in this thread singing alone in recent days, they are still both great.

The third singer, Barbara Alston is Shirley Alston Reeves sister who is a great 60's singer in her own right.

Back
Top Bottom