Bed Sheets/Thread Count

My Dream

Full time employment: Posting here.
I did a bit of reading regarding the so called thread count verses quality senerio. Some say there is really no way to tell whether the thread count listed is true, some say that's it's almost imposible to have a 1500 thread count.

I'm curious whether those that have used sheets above 300 tc truly notice the difference or is it more whether it's Italian made, Egyptian Cotten etc. I've also read that if you go over 800 the material is so dence that the sheets become somewhat rough which is contrary to what they want you to believe. I've also read that once you wash it the first time you have to iron high thread count and it's never as smooth.

I really dont' get some review on the exact same sheets since one buyer will say "I found them veru rough and not what I was expecting" while the next would say "the most comfortable and soft sheets I could imagine, I will purchase another set for my daughter".

I personally don't have much experience in this field due to my frugality, but will purchase my first set soon. I just wanted to know if it's worth the extra cash or at what thread count are you truly wasting money.

Can someone shed some light on this whole thread count/quality thang?

Anything above 600 thread count should be viewed with suspicion. I personally feel a difference going from 180/200/250 to 300/400. Once I go above 400, it all feels the same to me.

I must be ez to please, 'cause I just go to the store and say, "give me the Ralph Lauren." Love his colors.:blush:
But have to say that royal sateen Egyptian combed cotton are supposedly the best. You can get them cheaper at Tuesday Morning often or overstock.com or amazon sometimes. Check your TJ Maxx and Marshall's, too, for them. Why pay full retail?
Here's nextag.com's suggestions. I'd take the first one myself at 800 count as it seems the best deal to me:
http://www.nextag.com/royal-sateen/shop-html

I haven't bought sheets in awhile as I have a linen closet full, but I believe I got most of them at either TJX or Macy's. I didn't spend a lot of money, maybe 40 or 50 dollars for a set of queen sheets around 300 count 100 percent cotton. You can get great sales on bedding periodically. I look for Egyptian cotton or Peruvian or Turkish cotton.

My thing is not how they feel really. I want to know how they cool. Got some great feeling flannel sheets. Im a real hot sleeper. Not so good for me. Im looking for hey how will these sheets keep me cool. Im not so sure thread count is a real big thing in that.

Just an update, we're bought 1000 thread count egyptian cotton (don't really believe it's 1000) and I have to say that they're much softer and more comfortable then the ones we had. I would take a guess that the old sheets were maybe 100 thread count. We also replaced our comforter with a duvet and I've lov'in it. it's so light and warm, I actually look forward to going to sleep now. What's up with that?

I believe we paid around $60.00 U.S. for the $1000 tc egyptian cotton king size sheets and I'd pay it again.

As some others have mentioned -- there are "diminishing returns" with a [-]more expensive[/-] higher thread count above a certain level. But if you can get a higher thread count of similar quality for little more no premium, cool!

A vendor at the BX/PX (whatever they call the ones at AF bases) had 800 tc sheets (any size) for $20 a few weeks ago, so that is what DBF got for V-day. LOVING them! I am happy with 400+ (yes, there is a difference!)

So far we've owned around 100 tc and 1000 tc, and all I know is we can feel the difference. I can't coment between 400 tc and 1000 tc, but I'm willing to give er a try...........bbbbbam where are you?

Just kidding.;)

The potential problem with high thread count sheets is that shorter, inferior yarns are sometimes twisted together to make a single strand of yarn, then woven into fabric, effectively doubling the thread count but with a far inferior fabric.

The length of the staple of the fiber and the method of preparing it for spinning (combing is better than carding) are really important in how the fabric will wear.

The weave of the sheets also matters -- twill is very durable but does not feel as smooth as a satin or sateen weave, which has some threads "float" over the others to provide a glossier hand and finish. The flip side of this? Satin weave or sateen sheets are FAR easier to snag than twill weave.

For absorbency and coolness, cotton sateen is hard to beat. We've been very happy with the long-staple 300-400 count sheets we've gotten at Costco, especially considering that for our Cal King bed they cost around $60/set. Yep, that's a complete set.

And then there's linen. Oh, my. I slept on line-dried, ironed, 100% linen sheets once at a youth hostel in Italy and I've never slept in anything as cool and comfortable. I'm thinking about trying to find linen sheeting fabric and making my own, at least for my kid's beds and pillowcases. The retail price of 100% linen sheets makes my eyes water.

And then there's linen. Oh, my. I slept on line-dried, ironed, 100% linen sheets once at a youth hostel in Italy and I've never slept in anything as cool and comfortable. I'm thinking about trying to find linen sheeting fabric and making my own, at least for my kid's beds and pillowcases. The retail price of 100% linen sheets makes my eyes water.

Linen is the very best in my opinion. It always reminds me of my grand mother's bed linens back in Europe. I loved the texture and it used to keep me so cool in the summer heat! Very hard to find quality linen sheets nowadays, especially at affordable prices. Even harder to find linen sheeting fabric (though if you do find some please let me know). I guess you could piece 2 widths of fabric by running a center seam, like people used to do in the old days.

But antique linen sheets are not too hard to come by on Ebay.

Thanks Urchina,

I actually ordered some linen fabric from Fabrics-store.com 7 years ago (I used it to reupholster an old sofa). At the time, they had the best selection of linen fabrics on the net. Very good quality, very affordable prices. The sofa still looks great 7 years later.

The Belgian linen sheeting fabric at Libeco looks great but, at almost $100 a yard, it would cost probably $700-$800 to make a sheet set! Wow! But it's a great find nonetheless, thank you very much!

Back
Top Bottom