candy of your youth

Rich_in_Tampa said:
OK, lg4nb, where is this place? i feel a field trip comin' on! Gonna be in WPB in September.

here ya go. don't eat too much. you'll ruin your dinner: www.tothemoonmarketplace.com

hey doc, apparently you and my sil would get along just fine. when i brought her the fizzies today, she mentioned your bonomo turkish taffy (vanilla, of course. she's such a white bread girl). also she loves celray soda. yuck, that drink is soooo gross. you can still get it at any decent deli.

Cool Dood said:
When I saw the topic of this thread, I was expecting something more metaphorical. ;)

i just knew someone would take that tangent but i couldn't title this "old-fashioned candy" while i'm still in denial that i'm that old.

Gumby said:
In grade school, I lived in Hawaii. We liked lihi moi (sp?); sweet shredded ginger, smoked octopus (all of which the corner store sold in small packages)

smoked octopus candy? you poor thing. they gave you hawaii but they robbed you of your childhood.

poboy said:
Baseball card with bubblegum, or bubblegum with a baseball card. We put the card on our bike tire with a clothes pin.

if our spokes hadn't shredded those cards they'd probably be worth a fortune today. that sure was tasty gum tho.

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
I used to live close to the Charleston Chew and the Neeco wafer factories. Did anyone actually EAT neeco wafers or are they like Candy Corn

the store had the wafers; also remember them being around but don't recall ever being into them.

can't believe nobody mentioned gum cigars and gum cigarettes. my little niece today mentioned razzles which i understand are still sold.

anyway. i don't plan on eating a bunch of this but what a great find for gift packages. my shopping is done for the next year at least.

Attachments

• necco-wafers_small.jpg
    necco-wafers_small.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 70
Yep, and how bout those Beatles cards that came with bubble gum, they are worth a bit now.

Rich_in_Tampa said:
Bonomo turkish taffy.

That's my absolute fave. They don't make it anymore. I extensively checked plus I heard it on *TV*, so it has to be true.

Mike D.

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
I used to live close to the Charleston Chew and the Neeco wafer factories. Did anyone actually EAT neeco wafers or are they like Candy Corn, just one lot made and then recirculated indefinitely?

I love both Necco wafers and candy corn. The NorthEast Candy COmpany still makes Neccos. And Brach's is the best candy corn.

Mike D.

You can still get lik-m-aid in the checkout aisles of most grocery stores. They changed the name to "Fun Dip" but I'm pretty sure it's the same company that makes it. I buy it all the time.

MikeD said:
That's my absolute fave.  They don't make it anymore.  I extensively checked plus I heard it on *TV*, so it has to be true.

Mike D.

being ally of the sweet tooth, i just called www.tothemoonmarketplace.com

mike there says they have turkish taffy produced by dorsch (spelling?). he says they spoke with the manufacturer who claims it is the same recipe as the original bonomo brand.

Necco wafers--yes! Apparently they are fairly popular still, they aren't hard to find. The New England Confectionary Company also makes those little candy valentine hearts with the very short imprintd messages ("LUV U," "BE MINE")

From the web site: http://www.necco.com/OurBrands/Default.asp?BrandID=7

"In 1913, explorer Donald MacMillan took NECCO Wafers on his Arctic explorations, using them for nutrition and as rewards for Eskimo children. In the 1930’s, Admiral Byrd took 2 ½ tons of NECCO Wafers to the South Pole, practically a pound a week for each of his men during their two-year stay in the Antarctic.

The U.S. Government requisitioned a major portion of the production of NECCO Wafers during World War II. The candy doesn’t melt and is practically indestructible during transit, making it perfect for shipping overseas to the troops."

Other candies:
- "Big Mouth" gum (Late 1960s, early 1970s) Gum measured about 1/2" x 3" x 4" Nsty sweet--mostly sugar
- Abba Zabba (taffy-like candy bar). The yellow and black stickers they gave out to kids as advertising in the '60s were second only to STP stickers in popularity.

Here's a website I found. If you click on the "hard to find", "nostalgic", and "retro" categories, you'll see samples of all kinds of old time candies. 

http://www.candyfavorites.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=2113&pname=Abba+Zabba+

On the Fourth of July, took a 2-liter bottle of Diet Coke and a package of Mentos candies to a friend's place.  Got a piece of paper and rolled it into a very skinny cylinder shape, just big enough to hold vertically and directly above the opening of the Coke bottle.  Put all 12 to 13 Mentos candies in this "paper chute" and held a small card at the bottom of the chute to keep the Mentos from falling out.  Placed this "paper chute" directly over the bottle opening and then quickly slid the small card out, allowing all the Mentos to quickly drop into the bottle. Then I ran away fast.   A 15 to 20  foot geyser of Coke immediately shot up into the air.  It was fun, and pretty spectacular!   Saw this in the newspaper a week or two ago and thought I would try it.  Some people just never grow up. . . .  :)

FYI:  Noticed that the 2 guys in the newspaper had clear safety goggles on.   I guess that was in case the Mentos come shooting out of the bottle.

Hershey's bars

My brothers and I devoured them. Life was good.

lazygood4nothinbum said:
being ally of the sweet tooth, i just called www.tothemoonmarketplace.com

mike there says they have turkish taffy produced by dorsch (spelling?). he says they spoke with the manufacturer who claims it is the same recipe as the original bonomo brand.

That's really great news - and I'm (temporarily) a diabetic!! I will be ordering soon.

Thanks,
Mike D.

The UPS man was just here dropping off my French Chew (Turkish Taffy). Tonight's the night! They are chilling in the fridge right now. I also got some licorice wheels. And some Canada Mints (wintergreen) for my wife. Also got her a Cow Tale.

Mike D.

Rich_in_Tampa said:
Got dental insurance?

I've had a few incidents of pulling fillings out with Sugar Daddies in my youth. I've since learned how to chew it correctly. The Turkish Taffy kinda melts in your mouth anyway. Mmmm, candy.

Mike D.

my one-time favorites:

Razzles: first it's a candy, then it's a gum!

Space Food Sticks

A candy bar that I can't remember the name of that was a chocolate bar with four filling sections: peanut butter-ish, caramel, maybe a fudge, and I can't remember the last one either.. maybe a vanilla cream. (found it! The SkyBar. I was also a fan of the under-appreciated Zagnut.)

http://www.hometownfavorites.com

More recently I liked the "Whatchamacallit" a peanutty chocolate-covered Rice Krispie treat, essentially. I quit buying them when they added caramel, which ruined it.

Another fan of Black Jack gum, also Clove Gum, Good & Plenty. Not ot mention the cloying goodness of Sugar Daddies, and those peanut blocks (salty peanuts encased in hardened sugar), Raisinettes, Red Hots and Hot Tamales (Red Hots were smaller, hotter, and redder--left a telltale stain on the tongue and fingers). Necco wafers were good secondary snack at the movies--took awhile to eat the whole cylinder, plus since you couldn't see the colors it was fun to guess--always a treat to get the black licorice! I still like Baby Ruths, but perhaps not as much as in my youth. Jelly beans are still around, and I still like 'em. And those sugary fruit slices.

What I really, really love from my youth is a fine vanilla malted--heavy on the malt. And a root beer float.

astromeria said:
What I really, really love from my youth is a fine vanilla malted--heavy on the malt.

Carnation used to sell a jar of just the powder to make malted milk. We used to add it to chocolate milk. Man, that was good.

Mike D.

Attachments

• PKO72.jpg
    PKO72.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 54
Back
Top Bottom