Child SS death benefit input

old medic

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Have a messed-up family situation. My 23 year old niece has a 4 year old son from a POS guy that has had nothing to do with him ever. He is not even listed on the birth certificate. His parents have had some contact over the years.
Well the POS met his demise the other day @ 24 years old, and the parents contacted my niece and invited them to the funeral.
The question now is about trying to get him survivor benefits from SS.

I think the 4 year old would be eligible, but what documentation do you have that proves he is the father of the kid, since he is not listed on the birth certificate? Seems that SS is going to need some firm documentation to approve the claim for survivor benefit.

If he was a POS and only 24 did he ever work and pay into SS? I can't imagine there would much, if any benefits available.

If he was a POS and only 24 did he ever work and pay into SS? I can't imagine there would much, if any benefits available.

I agree- you need 40 quarters of contributions to qualify for SS so there may not be any survivor benefits available.

old medic--
It wouldn't hurt to try to apply for benefits, you never know.
Your niece may need to do DNA testing with ex partners parents maybe, to prove paternity for the 4 year old?
Sorry she is going through this, there must be some relationship and/or feelings there for his folks to notify her of his death and the funeral.

Having worked in social services- public assistance programs for many years my advice is for your niece to apply. Social Security will tell her what documentation they need and if that is provided then how to the child will receive if anything.
The worst thing that they will do is not give her anything. Everyone’s situation is different and I have seen too many people go without benefits that they were entitled to because someone, friend or relative, told them that they wouldn’t get anything.
I had a close family member whose father died when she was 4 and he 23. Her mom got social security for her until she graduated from high school. So you never know.

old medic--
It wouldn't hurt to try to apply for benefits, you never know.
Your niece may need to do DNA testing with ex partners parents maybe, to prove paternity for the 4 year old?

DNA is a no go, as he was adopted as a baby by some great folks, no living family is known. But even they say he is a carbon copy.
I hope she does try... with SS NO doesn't actually mean NO.

DNA is a no go, as he was adopted as a baby by some great folks, no living family is known. But even they say he is a carbon copy.
I hope she does try... with SS NO doesn't actually mean NO.

I think they meant getting DNA directly from the deceased POS before burial or cremation...

Having worked in social services- public assistance programs for many years my advice is for your niece to apply. Social Security will tell her what documentation they need and if that is provided then how to the child will receive if anything.
The worst thing that they will do is not give her anything. Everyone’s situation is different and I have seen too many people go without benefits that they were entitled to because someone, friend or relative, told them that they wouldn’t get anything.

I think this is very good advice.

Thanks everyone. My sister is working on pushing her.

Good luck. It sounds like this young child (and his mom) could use a break. I hope they get it.

I do feel sorry for him and what kind of future or life hes going to have. My niece is about as worthless as they come. Hardly pays any attention to her kids. Our Son does more with him than her. Just had a 2nd kid a few weeks ago, messing around with a much older married man. Has wrecked 3 vehicles and has 2 DUIs already.

I would strongly encourage her to file for surviving child's benefits. The father was only 24 years old and would not need 40 quarters of coverage. Social Security can tell her how to prove paternity. There are multiple ways.

I do feel sorry for both of her children. Hopefully, the mother will turn her life around.

I do feel sorry for him and what kind of future or life hes going to have. My niece is about as worthless as they come. Hardly pays any attention to her kids. Our Son does more with him than her. Just had a 2nd kid a few weeks ago, messing around with a much older married man. Has wrecked 3 vehicles and has 2 DUIs already.

That is unfortunate. Just a guess, but guessing that substances may be involved. I've seen way too much of that here locally. Let us hope that something wakes her up to her responsibilities toward her kids. If mother nature doesn't do it, perhaps life will intervene and wake her up. Blessings to all involved.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom