Chrome cookies

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
It's becoming more difficult to avoid paying for news.

Until this week, you could go to Chrome content, and delete cookies for most news websites. This little move would allow one to read four or five recent news articles for free. No more... Chrome now allows only all or none of your cookies to be deleted.

Since I simply cannot afford what would be hundreds of dollars to subscribe to the many, many news sites that I regularly followed, access to serious journalism will now be limited.

Ergo, I now join the vast majority of ignorant citizens, subject to the loudest and most unreliable information sources. Dumb and happy. A new member of the proletariat.

Last edited:
Recently I actually added a subscription that I really do not need but I want to make sure there are enough reporters covering the news. I like the free days but I think we are paying for it in limited reporters. I will sort my purchase goals to include news, especially newspapers.

Ergo, I now join the vast majority of ignorant citizens, subject to the loudest and most unreliable information sources. Dumb and happy. A new member of the proletariat.

I'm a former news junkie, but I've been slowly dialing down on news. Just too much noise, nonsense and bad reporting.

I've come to realize that despite the urgings of the press for me to care--and care deeply-- my daily life is not affected by 99% of what is going on in the world.

And what is heralded as "THE most critically important news story of the day!" turns out to be a vague memory just a few days later.

Bread and circus, baby! Just give me my portfolio balance and the Red Sox score. I've got 20, maybe 25 years left on this planet...leave me alone.

Google News is where I start my news search. Most news sites have limits on how many free articles you can read in a month.
Why not install additional browsers? Four will get you 4x's the number of articles. Or go with a browser that let's you delete by site. Or find an extension or tool that let's you find and delete cookies by site.

just a question... have you tried an incognito window for scanning news? I've found some free news channels on roku from providers like Reuters.

Don't eat those Chrome cookies they may not be to good for you. Lol

I'm one of those rare people who still like to read an actual newspaper. So, I get WSJ and the local paper. They balance each other nicely in terms of political slant.
I think it is dangerous to just disconnect from the world.

Note that the BBC and reuters at least do not have limits, and provide a non american view of the news, the cable news fixation with us politics makes it less and less valuable, there is more to the world than the US.

. No more... Chrome now allows only all or none of your cookies to be deleted.

What version of chrome ?

Go to Settings>Show Advanced Settings>Content settings>All cookies and site data.

It shows a list of all cookies and can be removed individually.

There are also cookie manager addons which can be used. I use one to extract and move cookies between PCs for sites that have stored security codes, also can edit expiration dates etc.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/editthiscookie/fngmhnnpilhplaeedifhccceomclgfbg?hl=en

I have Firefox configured to delete cookies upon exit except for the sites I white list, and I only have a handful of sites in that list. The biggest pain is that I still need to prove I'm a human "by hand" sometimes.

But, that being said, I haven't been able to get past many news paywalls, even though I rarely go to them. There's been times when I'm really interested (or really bored) and try all of the tricks (incognito mode, searching news.google, find a cached copy, etc), only to be thwarted. I think they're getting smarter about protecting the content they want you to buy.

What version of chrome ?

Version 59.0.3071.115 (Official Build) (32-bit)

Go to Settings>Show Advanced Settings>Content settings>All cookies and site data.

It shows a list of all cookies and can be removed individually.

No listing... used to be able to input "WASH" and then delete the Washington Post cookies.... now, no choice... either delete all or none. I think it's possible to dig very deep, going to the website URL, and the details, but it only works for one time...

There are also cookie manager addons which can be used. I use one to extract and move cookies between PCs for sites that have stored security codes, also can edit expiration dates etc.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/editthiscookie/fngmhnnpilhplaeedifhccceomclgfbg?hl=en

Will try this...

I turn ON the setting for "keep local data only until you quit your browser."

Then ADD sites like early-retirement.org to the "allow" list at the bottom of that page.

Thus, all cookies are deleted when I close Chrome, unless I specify otherwise. Media sites aren't on my "allow" list, so every time I open the browser I can read five (or however many) new articles.

Frankly I don't go to many sites which restrict reading like that. The only one I can think of is the MegaCorp who has bought up all the local papers in a 50-mile radius.

I'm not a fan of the subscription model. I don't want to restrict myself to any one media outlet any more than I want them to follow my browsing habits.

The real question here is whether passwords that are saved, and allow you to open favorite websites...
Are they saved in Chrome, and will they not show up when I delete cookies?

or.

Are they saved on the websites that I visit.

Since I have hundreds of websites that require passwords, I don't want to have to enter my name and password every time I go to the site.

The newest version of chrome, doesn't give the option to delete cookies for individual websites. This is a change., as there is no longer a place to enter individual cookies to be deleted, just a delete all ... or not.

My passwords ARE saved in Chrome, so when I go to any of those 200+ websites, I'm automatically signed in.

Googling the question, doesn't offer any answer, except for the way the old system worked.

In journalism, you get what you pay for. It's always been this way. Commercial TV news has been relative junk food since the demise of Ed Murrow ... but people base their model for news consumption on the pattern of "free TV."

Real journalism costs money to produce, particularly investigative work that can have an impact on our society. The reduced revenue stream of the Internet has damaged it badly -- but some still survives. I for one will continue to support it financially.

The newest version of chrome, doesn't give the option to delete cookies for individual websites. This is a change., as there is no longer a place to enter individual cookies to be deleted, just a delete all ... or not.

Not true for me. As rbmrtn pointed out above, the individual option is still there when I use the latest version of Chrome on my Mac. What are you using?

Yes it does. it works same as always. cookies and passwords are not the same thing. Chrome stores them in different files, in the folder USER_NAME\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default

Cookies are in the cookies file, and passwords are in the Login Data file. Both are data base format files so you can not read them directly.

Look in that folder and see if your cookies file exist or is 0 length.

The real question here is whether passwords that are saved, and allow you to open favorite websites...
If you started using LastPass, then your saved passwords would be available "everywhere", not just on one browser on one computer.

Y'all shamed me into digging deeper. Am using 64bit PC w/Windows 10, and the current latest version of Chrome. Version 59.0.3071.115 (Official Build) (64-bit)

There is a major change in the Customize and control program that occurred within the past few weeks.

So now, what used to be a 4 step process to delete specific cookies, now takes nine steps along with a lot of scrolling.

If you want to read past the paywall, here are the steps you need to follow.

three dots on Chrome customize
settings
advanced
privacy and security
content settings
cookies
all cookies and site data
search cookies
highlight
delete

If you started using LastPass, then your saved passwords would be available "everywhere", not just on one browser on one computer.

Yeah... wish I'd started earlier. Have kept PWDS on a separate printed list. About 250, mostly with different user names and passwords. I think It would take me a week to change them all, so will suffer.

Still not sure how a website remembers me, if not from my password. Can't be from my internet location, because it works when I use my laptop in a different location. So that question remains... I have to use my password to sign on. If I delete the cookies, I can sign on, and not have the "reached your limit" show.

As to cost to subscribe... The initial offerings of a few dollars a month, usually turns our with a renewal rate of $8 to $12 a month. For the sites I usually look at, this would amount to nearly $1,000yr.

sheesh... I'l leave it at that... gets too complicated for this puppy.:LOL:

Last edited:
Yeah... wish I'd started earlier. Have kept PWDS on a separate printed list. About 250, mostly with different user names and passwords. I think It would take me a week to change them all, so will suffer.

Actually, you can import a .csv file into Dashlane and I would expect other password keepers have that same functionality. Just a very simple file.

Why not view the news websites using private (incognito) mode?

This way no cookies are saved.

In journalism, you get what you pay for. It's always been this way. Commercial TV news has been relative junk food since the demise of Ed Murrow ... but people base their model for news consumption on the pattern of "free TV."

Real journalism costs money to produce, particularly investigative work that can have an impact on our society. The reduced revenue stream of the Internet has damaged it badly -- but some still survives. I for one will continue to support it financially.

+1 and I try to pay for what I consume, too, and avoid the click-bait, as-driven stuff. YMMV.

Last edited:
I run Chrome Version 59.0.3071.115 (Official Build) (64-bit). I can delete individual cookies.

Click the circle just to the left of your web site address. The list of cookies will popup. Click the link under the heading Cookies. You can remove them at will.

Or right click article links and open them in an incognito window. I never pay for news, and see everything I want.

Attachments

• CaptureER.JPG
    CaptureER.JPG
    15 KB · Views: 47
I run Chrome Version 59.0.3071.115 (Official Build) (64-bit). I can delete individual cookies.

Click the circle just to the left of your web site address. The list of cookies will popup. Click the link under the heading Cookies. You can remove them at will.

Or right click article links and open them in an incognito window. I never pay for news, and see everything I want.
239 cookies set when I opened NYT in Chrome. Yes there is a list, but you delete one at a time. I think that was mentioned by OP.
The rest of the solution is to know which cookie(s) is used to limit the reader.

Back
Top Bottom