Coyotes

Tailgate

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Overnight video taken about 50 yards from our back door. We've seen them solo but never in a pack. Do you see 3 or 4? I think there are 4 of them. Second video is just a daytime shot from the same camera.

That is so cool!

I've only ever seen them in small packs, but that was Southern California.

I only see 2 coyotes.

Seldom see or hear coyotes here in east Texas but hogs and deer are all over the place. We feed the deer and shoot the hogs. Shooting a hog will usually keep the others away for months at at time. I don't shoot the deer and often have a dozen or more each evening visiting for food and drinking out of one of the ponds less than 100 ft from our back door.

Seldom see or hear coyotes here in east Texas but hogs and deer are all over the place. We feed the deer and shoot the hogs. Shooting a hog will usually keep the others away for months at at time. I don't shoot the deer and often have a dozen or more each evening visiting for food and drinking out of one of the ponds less than 100 ft from our back door.

Greetings from central Texas...we’re in Georgetown..
Agree on the hogs...they breed faster than rabbits..

Greetings from central Texas...we’re in Georgetown..
Agree on the hogs...they breed faster than rabbits..
I was in Georgetown just a few weeks ago. Nice area but Austin is starting to encroach on you guys but there's still plenty of open country close by.

Regarding hogs, some of them can be pretty big. Most around here seem to be in the 100 to 200 lb range but 300+lbs is not that unusual.

In the rural areas of the SW counties of PA, coyotes are plentiful. At the winery where I help out, we have events in the evening with a campfire, food and a band in the fall. It is pretty dramatic/wild/awakening when you here a pack howling when the band takes a break. Puts the hair on the back of your neck stand up.

My chiropractor carries a .45 side arm while deer hunting on his farm. Many a time he has had to defend himself while gutting his deer in the field, if they haven't got to it before he has.

DW would love to have a coyote coat, they are just beautiful in my opinion.

A few years back I was walking 18 holes of golf by myself at a desert course in Calif. I noticed two large coyotes were trailing me, one on each side of the fairway about 50 yards behind me. When I stopped to hit a ball, they stopped and watched me. This continued for about 15 minutes, very creepy. I kept a 3-iron in my hand the whole time for protection. I would have used a driver, but I never could hit that thing worth a damn.

Overnight video taken about 50 yards from our back door. We've seen them solo but never in a pack. Do you see 3 or 4? I think there are 4 of them. Second video is just a daytime shot from the same camera.

I see 4. Moving bodies of three, and just the glowing eyes of the fourth. Very cool!

just part of the situation when you aren't in a city

had plenty of coyotes near us....usually in larger packs. sometimes could hear 5 or 6 separate packs around the area. (lots of deer for prey). They'd go on for some time, especially after they had taken down something.

we also had cougars, bobcats....(fortunately the bears weren't around us)

Set the playback speed to 0.25 and I see only 3. All the moving bits end up having eyes attached to them.

Did you try watching with a slower playback like I did?

We have coyotes, hogs, alligators, deer, armadillos, and beavers within 5 miles of the house along with the usual trash pandas, skunks, squirrels, possums, foxes, and what not. I don't think we have porcupines though.

Last edited:
Plenty of coyotes wandering the suburbs of Los Angeles. Plenty of stories of dead cats found in yards.

Plenty of coyotes in southwestern Ohio. My friend shoots one several times a year.

A few years back I was walking 18 holes of golf by myself at a desert course in Calif. I noticed two large coyotes were trailing me, one on each side of the fairway about 50 yards behind me. When I stopped to hit a ball, they stopped and watched me. This continued for about 15 minutes, very creepy. I kept a 3-iron in my hand the whole time for protection. I would have used a driver, but I never could hit that thing worth a damn.

Keep the driver in the bag. A 3 iron is all you need. Makes a bigger dent in the head. :D. Plus, if it was me, I would probably duff the driver.

I like the coyotes. They keep the deer away, and eat the stray cats, and sing to me at night. As long as people don't make themselves a food source, by leaving pet food outside for example, the coyotes don't mess with people. Oh, and keep your dogs on a leash (especially the little ones).

I see them regularly in the field, hear them near the house. It would be hard for them to get into the backyard and otherwise I appreciate their song, the reduction of the rabbit population. In the field, they are just another hunter. As long as they stay wary of me and give me the space I give them, everyone will be happy.

With normal predator populations, there are mechanisms to keep populations in check. When the food source dwindles, birth rates drop, and mortality increases.

In urban and suburban coyotes, there is nothing, short of cars, that reduces the population. The food sources are unlimited.

Once the easy prey is reduced, the more aggressive coyotes will go after the next level. Coyotes will become a major problem in due time.

We used to have more of them years ago here in our rural area of Illinois. I just think they are moving to towns. Had several sightings at our Scottsdale, Az snowbird condo over the years - some in hiking areas, some around the dumpster of the local grocery store. Just saw one last week in Banff National Park.

We were hiking on a place called coyote hill and had a guide coyote for a good part of the hike. It was observing us. I take a weapon with us on hikes, not for coyotes. There's larger predators like big kitty's that I'd rather not be eaten by.

Thanks for the footage.

I like the coyotes. They keep the deer away......

Maybe I need a few coyotes. If I had some coyotes, maybe I wouldn't have to clean up a pile of deer scat on the sidewalk from last night.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-09-21 at 7.22.45 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-21 at 7.22.45 AM.png
    448.4 KB · Views: 25
Coyotes, fox are plentiful in our area. Fox live in the neighborhood and sighted many times. We love them, they eat mice and goose eggs. They have families, who knows where? But they come out, cross the street, fast and beautiful. Canadian Geese are a problem, we just have too many.
You can hear coyotes at night, also many sightings. I guess they want to take back their land.

Canadian Geese are a problem, we just have too many.

Canada Geese are a problem all over, we have a zillion of them here.

I recall, in Toronto, maybe 50 years ago, someone suggested cooking them and providing meals for the homeless.

The perpetually offended nixed that idea on the grounds that it was somehow 'demeaning' - the homeless, on the other hand, were all for it.

Back
Top Bottom