Different paths for living life

Good topic. Lot to talk about. One thing is the idea that everyone is different and you can't classify people because people are infinity complex and it's a continuum. The whole idea of statistics is to quantify a larger set into manageable discrete cases and then study those cases. The word 'average' takes a potentially infinite set of numbers and reduces it down to one single number. IMHO it's a cop out to say everybody is different, you can't classify people, and you can't use that information to study and predict behavior.

Another this I want to bring up is that it's easy to take society, infrastructure and the economy for granted. In the early 60s my grandfather died of a heart attack because there was no 911 system. Now you call 911 and a medic, ambulance and sometimes even a fire engine will show up in a few minutes. My point is: This great stuff that we all take for granted didn't just happen by itself. Millions of people worked long and hard to build all this stuff. If you're going to live and use the benefits of society you have an obligation to do your part to help, maintain and improve society.

Good topic. Lot to talk about. One thing is the idea that everyone is different and you can't classify people because people are infinity complex and it's a continuum. The whole idea of statistics is to quantify a larger set into manageable discrete cases and then study those cases. The word 'average' takes a potentially infinite set of numbers and reduces it down to one single number. IMHO it's a cop out to say everybody is different, you can't classify people, and you can't use that information to study and predict behavior.

Another this I want to bring up is that it's easy to take society, infrastructure and the economy for granted. In the early 60s my grandfather died of a heart attack because there was no 911 system. Now you call 911 and a medic, ambulance and sometimes even a fire engine will show up in a few minutes. My point is: This great stuff that we all take for granted didn't just happen by itself. Millions of people worked long and hard to build all this stuff. If you're going to live and use the benefits of society you have an obligation to do your part to help, maintain and improve society.

What a great point and in fact all the social nets were put in place to help people in dire straits, not support someone who is capable but doesn't want to support themselves. You don't call 911 for a hangnail do you?

I never, ever want to hear this. My Mother, who was extremely bright and wanted to be a teacher, had to drop out of HS to work full-time to support her mother and 4 siblings after my grandfather died. This was the Depression and they were recent immigrants.

From genealogy research, I found a similar case with Mr. A.'s father in the (19) teens. At 13 he became "head" of the family: mother and 4 younger siblings. Mr. A. grew up with these aunts and uncles, and never heard a thing about the hard times. We assume their attitude was "We got through it, why talk about it?"

Back then, dead dad + no insurance = kids had to help out, or the family starved. Now we have social welfare programs, and a good thing too. But let nobody whine that "things are hard for" any particular generation, unless they live in a war zone or are targeted for genocide.

Parents complain, say it’s hard for this generation..

Last edited:
Addiction and mental illness have already been mentioned I think. Seems more prevalent than ever, although I have no facts to support that. I’ll also add lack of faith/hope as another possible explanation for some.

Mostly I just hope for our country’s sake, and the future of humanity that this is all some older geezer hand wringing for nothing. I’m not sure.

I never, ever want to hear this. My Mother, who was extremely bright and wanted to be a teacher, had to drop out of HS to work full-time to support her mother and 4 siblings after my grandfather died. This was the Depression and they were recent immigrants.

From genealogy research, I found a similar case with Mr. A.'s father in the (19) teens. At 13 he became "head" of the family: mother and 4 younger siblings. Mr. A. grew up with these aunts and uncles, and never heard a thing about the hard times. We assume their attitude was "We got through it, why talk about it?"

Back then, dead dad + no insurance = kids had to help out, or the family starved. Now we have social welfare programs, and a good thing too. But let nobody whine that "things are hard for" any particular generation, unless they live in a war zone or are targeted for genocide.

Everything in perspective. For example, compared to some of the past generations; what others (i.e. some of our military endured); and depending, persons in certain other countries, my alleged "hardships" were minimal. I had a childhood and never had to work in the coal mines like some of my ancestors did. I never had to go hungry.

My father-in-law was sent to another village to work at age 11; by himself - and live there after his father died; to send money home to the family. My grandmother emigrated to the US at age 12 - alone - after her family home burnt down - and worked as an indentured servant to send money back to Europe. She did not see her family again for about 13 years. I had relatives that were starving during WWII. My grandfather was allowed to complete grammar school (this country) before he was sent to work on the docks. My father and uncle enlisted in the Navy in WWII at the earliest possible age. Both parents both helped to support their families . . .

That is not to say that I don't have sympathy for persons (of all ages) who are struggling for reasons beyond their control.

I wonder how many "uninspired" young people are just biding their time for the basic income they think is coming? If you're under 30 it's been a topic of interest for their entire adult life.

Just so...I have sympathy and empathy for strugglers. Struggle doesn't make you stronger - it hurts and wears you down. Many times I've posted on my support for the social safety net for people who have lifelong problems (e.g. disability) or temporary ones (lose job, get very sick, become a caregiver, and all the rest of human ills).

But I still don't want to hear about how a grasshopper's problems (as described on some of these posts) are due to Forces Beyond Our Control. That's the basic cop-out behind "this generation has it hard."

E

That is not to say that I don't have sympathy for persons (of all ages) who are struggling for reasons beyond their control.

Back
Top Bottom