Dogs

Stormy Kromer

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
DW and I recently moved to a farm in flyover land, for 6 years prior we had lived in the north woods near Canada. We have been without a dog for 6 years and wanted to get another, but didn't dare due to the number of wolves & bears at our home. Encounters were common and the biggest, toughest dog in the world is no match for a pack of wolves.

Well, we're unpacked here now and DW wife went online to a nearby shelter and fell in love with a yellow lab/hound dog cross that we just have to have. We pick him up Monday, wish us luck.

How wonderful is that! Please....post some pics once he/she is home and settled a bit.

The longest I have ever been without a dog is 6 months, and I was bitterly depressed. The companionship of a dog is vital to the quality of my life, and I hope this new family member of yours meets/exceeds every expectation.

A few years ago the kids were grown we decided when our two dogs passed we'd go without to make it easier to travel in retirement. But we're dog people and always will be, so after burying those two we got another. We also ordered a custom RV so we can bring her along. You're either a dog person or you're not. And I don't trust anyone who's not.

We have a dog we rescued from the pound in mid-2019, a few months prior to Covid. He has been a great source of entertainment and companionship, especially during the weeks and months we were reluctant to do much mixing with family, friends or the general public. Rescuing him was one of the best decisions we've ever made. Hope your decision to adopt a new pooch turns out to be equally as good.

“The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.” --- Mark Twain

We have a place in the NE Georgia mountains. And we often see a couple of bear families. One got a cooler I left outside and ate my butter & bacon before swatting it with a big paw.

Everyone up there has a dog of some kind, and the black bears are seriously afraid of little yappers. One guy was telling us how his house is save with a miniature dachshund.

Congratulations on a new best friend.

So glad you found a dog you like and will be giving it a loving home! :)

Frank and I love dogs too. In our case we decided that for us the best decision is to gaze fondly at dogs from afar, and play with friends' dogs when the opportunity arises. Neither of us wants the serious responsibilities or expenses involved in pet ownership. More often than not I'd prefer sleeping in, instead of getting up to feed, walk, or play with a dog. YMMV and often does for many!

Also we are such cheapskates that the stories we hear of vet bills these days, are enough to make our eyes water. Doesn't mean we don't adore pets! We just aren't the right people to own one.

We rescued a Maltese in August after not having a dog for 7 years. She was spayed right away we then fostered her while we waited for an appointment for a vet check. She had to have 16 teeth pulled, a mole removed from her belly and a mast cell tumor removed from her hind leg. I felt so sorry for her, it was a rough recovery.

She had been in a hoarder situation along with 21 other dogs for the first 8 years of her life.

She seemed really depressed for the first four or five months. She is a different dog now. Her hair is thick from the improved diet, she wags her tail and is playful and she has really bonded with us. It makes me so happy that she is happy.

Good luck with the pup!

Even though I have thought about going without a dog, the longest I have made it between labs is around 18 months. I find myself thinking about the previous pups and missing the companionship, and soon after I start looking for another.

We've always tried to have 2 dogs, 5-7 years apart in age. They kept each other company while we were working (*when* I was working) and when we lost one, we had an established middle aged dog to "train" a new addition pup.

We have always adopted/rescued. We adopted 2 Border Collies at ages 2 and 4 (not at the same time) as their previous owner passed, or did not want to keep them. Our most recent pup (our 5th) was a street rescue from the south and has bad fear aggression and is a challenge near any other dogs>

Lastly, someone else's post above reminded me of a conversation I had with someone years ago. They said:

"I won't have dogs because they are messy, loud, complicate your travel and stress me out."

I replied "How many kids do you have?"

"Five."

I've had dogs for years, but unlike most of my neighbors, I don't just let them run loose. When my dog is outside he is on a leash, that way I know where he is and I can protect him, which I have done when attacked by loose dogs or coyotes.

It is really not a bad life and I get lots of exercise walking him 2 or 3 miles a day.

Good for you SK, a dog makes life better. We are currently without a dog since 28 years married, and for most of my life before that as a kid and single adult. It is a weird feeling to not have a dog in the house and I am pretty sure we will get one again come springtime later this year.

I've had dogs for years, but unlike most of my neighbors, I don't just let them run loose. When my dog is outside he is on a leash, that way I know where he is and I can protect him, which I have done when attacked by loose dogs or coyotes.

It is really not a bad life and I get lots of exercise walking him 2 or 3 miles a day.
Same with us. Our dog is always leashed when we're outside. Besides coyotes, bobcats, etc., we also have snakes, venomous spiders and scorpions. We and he get good outdoor walking exercise (5.5 mi/day) so it's a win-win.

Congrats on the dog, Stormy. I hope the move works out for you too.

Well, we're unpacked here now and DW wife went online to a nearby shelter and fell in love with a yellow lab/hound dog cross that we just have to have. We pick him up Monday, wish us luck.

Good luck. I am sure you will be happy, and a rescue is a great way to get a dog.

When we got our first, DS was about 4 (he is 40 now). We went to the shelter and one dog just bounced off the wall with excitement. We were looking for a puppy (as most usually are) but he was so interesting. As we walked past, the shelter person said "he has been here 10 days". DW looked at me and asked why he said that. I asked how long they keep dogs. He said 14 days.

So, we went home with a "used" dog, and could not have been happier.

2 dogs later, at 66, we are now on our "last" dog (that was said before, so we will see). She was a rescue, is over 14 now, and is starting to show her age.

But we went for a walk today in the snow, and she acted like a puppy.

Dogs are good people.

I wish you luck and we would love to see pictures.

I am so happy that you are getting a rescue dog.

Same here. In fact just got in the door from a couple mile walk with him. 26 deg /sleeting crusty dirt road. Felt great! :) We usually do 3-5 miles a day with him. Couple in the morning, couple in the afternoon. I am sure we would get less exercise without a dog even though we are avid hikers/walkers. He gets us out there on days we might not be motivated on our own. He is on a leash on our walks as well. We have coyotes, dogs as well.

Over the years we have several rescues (mostly Border collie X) and they've all been wonderful. Our most recent dog left us after many years and was a chihuahua x who we found at the sheriffs kill shelter with a little sign on his pen with a countdown clock to execution day (very effective adoption tool). Great dogs come in all sizes and I think that rescues are especially wonderful - they seem to be almost grateful.

Last month we found a new lonely puppy, some sort of schnauzer X and it's sooo nice to have doggy joy back in the house.

Bindi - lover of shoes

Bindi_shoe.jpg

bindi_groomer.jpg

Congrats on the new pooch!

A few years ago the kids were grown we decided when our two dogs passed we'd go without to make it easier to travel in retirement. But we're dog people and always will be, so after burying those two we got another. We also ordered a custom RV so we can bring her along. You're either a dog person or you're not. And I don't trust anyone who's not.

Yup. Once you've had dogs, you are forever committed. Me too, I like dogs and if you don't I don't want to know you.

.......We have coyotes, dogs as well.
Our local Next Door forum is full of "has any one seen my cat?" posts. I have a coyote den 100 yards from my house. Hmmm, wonder where Tabby could have got off to?

Our local Next Door forum is full of "has any one seen my cat?" posts. I have a coyote den 100 yards from my house. Hmmm, wonder where Tabby could have got off to?[/QUOTE

:) Have seen 2 bobcats in the front yard in the last few months. We only keep dogs! 70 pound ones at that.

Congrats on the new pooch!

Yup. Once you've had dogs, you are forever committed. Me too, I like dogs and if you don't I don't want to know you.

OP here. DW and I have this in common. We are dog chumps.

Can't wait to take him fishing in our boat and walk him everywhere this summer. Picked up dog food and treats today. He'll get a lot of exercise and company. He'll get to camp the upper midwest and high plains this summer. He's about 4 from what the shelter can tell, no name yet. I'm going to call him Teddy, after my favorite American.

Congratulations on your Lab mix... We've had a number of Labs over the last 30+ years and loved them all. (Better than most people) It's surprising how different their personalities can be from one dog to another. We don't worry about bears around here but skunks can leave a gift that keeps on giving for months...:sick: So I'll do away with any skunk I see around here ASAP. He likes to run after any animal that gets near the house but he will break off the chase once they make it into the wooded areas. It's really funny to watch him chase a deer... Doesn't stand a chance of catching them.

Last edited:
Here he is. We pick him up Monday.

Attachments

• Dog.jpg
    Dog.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 269
Back
Top Bottom