Dogs

Just keep an eye on him. I’m thinking of another lab after a loss several years ago and another heartbreak. I’ve still kept all the collars and dog house name plates for decades.
Best wishes and have an awesome spring and summer!!!!

This comment really got me. I still have the collar, leash, and a tuft of hair from my dear dog, from the 1970s. Miss her dearly. She appears in my dreams from time to time, which is an amazing experience.

Best to you,
-BB

Here’s a pic of my lab on his first day home in Oct ‘21. And a pic from just a few days ago. Got a lot of energy but he’s been fun.

Nice looking lab, Dawg52. My latest has about grown up but she's still full of energy (and provides lots of entertainment).

Attachments

• IMG_20211224_111921405.jpg
    IMG_20211224_111921405.jpg
    397.7 KB · Views: 39
I can't imagine life without dogs. We have always tried to have two that are 5-7 years apart, so when you lose one, you have an established middle aged adult to "train" a new pup.

Rhys (pronounced "reese") is a street rescue from Arkansas, we got her in 2014. She is by far the funniest, most entertaining pup we have ever had. She hiked 526 miles with me last year. She was advertised as a "Border Collie Mix" by the rescue, but she is just a pure bred mutt. We had the DNA test done on her and she has no BC in her at all, despite the familiar coloring

Cabot is the third Border Collie we have had. We adopted him at 2 years old. He will be 15 this coming July and is really struggling now with walking and just managing life. He had two bouts of Canine Vestibular Disease last summer and it really took him out. He used to hike with us a lot, but is officially retired from hiking now.

Attachments

• 20190103_124547.jpg
    20190103_124547.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 39
I can't imagine life without dogs. We have always tried to have two that are 5-7 years apart, so when you lose one, you have an established middle aged adult to "train" a new pup.

Rhys (pronounced "reese") is a street rescue from Arkansas, we got her in 2014. She is by far the funniest, most entertaining pup we have ever had. She hiked 526 miles with me last year. She was advertised as a "Border Collie Mix" by the rescue, but she is just a pure bred mutt. We had the DNA test done on her and she has no BC in her at all, despite the familiar coloring

Cabot is the third Border Collie we have had. We adopted him at 2 years old. He will be 15 this coming July and is really struggling now with walking and just managing life. He had two bouts of Canine Vestibular Disease last summer and it really took him out. He used to hike with us a lot, but is officially retired from hiking now.

A lot of farm breeds turn up from the Southern rescues up here. A border collie is just a farm breed that the AKC got its controlling mitts on. Same with the Australian shepherd, which was not an AKC recognized breed until the 1990s.

There are other farm collie variations, including the English shepherd, which was a common sight on farms in the eastern US until about the middle of the 20th century, when small family farms began to dwindle in number.

At a glance Rhys has the Aussie look, with a little broader muzzle than the BC and stocky build. To me, the classic Aussie giveaway is a body from whithers to tail that's about as long as the dog is tall. Other collie breeds tend to be longer in the body than they are tall.

I personally don't have a lot of faith in genetic testing for dogs. So many breeds have emerged out of crossbreeding, right up to the current day. The farm dogs in particular came up through an informal breeding process that emphasized purpose over pedigree. The process, IMO, produced superior dogs, but ones with a lot of individual variations.

My experience with human genealogical genetic tracing suggests it's still a work in progress. One of the leading DNA labs reported that I was part Sardinian at one point. It later dropped that revelation from my profile. So I take it all with a grain of salt.

A lot of farm breeds turn up from the Southern rescues up here. A border collie is just a farm breed that the AKC got its controlling mitts on. Same with the Australian shepherd, which was not an AKC recognized breed until the 1990s.

There are other farm collie variations, including the English shepherd, which was a common sight on farms in the eastern US until about the middle of the 20th century, when small family farms began to dwindle in number.

At a glance Rhys has the Aussie look, with a little broader muzzle than the BC and stocky build. To me, the classic Aussie giveaway is a body from whithers to tail that's about as long as the dog is tall. Other collie breeds tend to be longer in the body than they are tall.

I personally don't have a lot of faith in genetic testing for dogs. So many breeds have emerged out of crossbreeding, right up to the current day. The farm dogs in particular came up through an informal breeding process that emphasized purpose over pedigree. The process, IMO, produced superior dogs, but ones with a lot of individual variations.

My experience with human genealogical genetic tracing suggests it's still a work in progress. One of the leading DNA labs reported that I was part Sardinian at one point. It later dropped that revelation from my profile. So I take it all with a grain of salt.

I forgot all the breeds, but Rhys test for Lab, Basset hound (she is VERY scent driven), English bulldog, some kind of spaniel (would explain the coloring) and get this... Papillion. Fact is, we knew she had no Border Collie in her when we got her because of her personality/behavior, not appearance. Being true BC people, we know the BC personality very well and Rhys had not a shred of it. Can't tell from the pic, but she is also very dense and muscular (not a BC trait). She actually weighs a few pounds more than Cabot.

Interesting DNA test result, I would have guessed Border Collie as well. I've always wanted to DNA test my mutt but decided not to when the DNA company wanted a photo of the dog. Seemed to me there might be some guessing involved, why would they want a photos so I never did it. Do you remember what company you used?
My girl is a Lurcher of some kind, (Sighthound crossed with Pastoral Dog or Terrier) and my best guess is Whippet/Border Collie but she is nothing like any dog I've ever had before. I'm on a Reddit Lurcher page and everyone that joins has that same comment

One thing I have learned is you cannot count on much of the breed info you get from a rescue. DS/DDIL adopted an 8 week old puppy who was classified as a terrier/boxer mix. They thought he would be relatively small like their Boston Terrier who crossed the rainbow bridge several months before. They did however get an Embark DNA test for Finn who turned out to be a Boxer/GSP/Lab mix and just after his first birthday he is about 70 lbs. I am not sure how much more bulk he will add over the next year. If I had to guess, he looks like a great dane and has some of biggest paws I've ever seen on a dog.

Attachments

• E7488507-E428-4CC4-A786-6A22F143391E.jpg
    E7488507-E428-4CC4-A786-6A22F143391E.jpg
    576.5 KB · Views: 45
I have always had dogs, except the couple of years after graduating college while living in an Apartment.

I have always gotten shelter puppies. I like puppies because they don't carry a lot of baggage. Most don't but I have seen a few who have been abused. Plus puppies are cute and fun.

My current two are Aussie Mutts mixed with I don't know what. I have enjoyed all my dogs, but these two have been the most loyal and best behaved. Except chewing a couple things as pups, they haven't done 1 bad thing the oldest is 8 and the other is 6. I like this breed mix. I looked for Maya the younger one for two months on adoption sites before I found her

I want them to be happy and also motivates me to take them on a 4 mile walk to the dog park and back. Maybe they are why I haven't croaked from a heart attack:D

They do come together to ask to go outside, for dinner or a walk. I think in the picture they came in to see about a walk. They know to wait until I am done with my Coffee and paper.

They have a dog run, but we also have an acre fenced yard I let them out when ever they want

My dogs are loved family members and I can't imagine how lonely it would be without them. Always there to listen, never complain, always happy to jump in the car to run an errand. Happy to sit next to me while I watch TV or to play ball. Best greeting ever when I come home. Been a while since my bride of 35 years has shaken her rear in excitement when she sees me :)

Attachments

• Puppies.jpg
    Puppies.jpg
    527.1 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0714.jpg
    IMG_0714.jpg
    614.5 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0381.jpg
    IMG_0381.jpg
    903 KB · Views: 31
@Romer, with a pair of cuties like that, resistance is futile :)
I love how they share the chair in that last picture too. Ours will do that. We rescued them as a set and are the 4th and last home for them.
We got quite a big of baggage with adult dog rescues.
PXL-20210403-201749720.jpg

do you think they might be friends?
Katie on the right with roomie's Cricket the silken windhound on the left.
messages-0-9.jpg

messages-0-8.jpg

This little girl was spayed on Tuesday. She's not a lap dog, until now. She's spent every day in my chair or on my lap. 20220305_154222.jpg

One thing I have learned is you cannot count on much of the breed info you get from a rescue. DS/DDIL adopted an 8 week old puppy who was classified as a terrier/boxer mix. They thought he would be relatively small like their Boston Terrier who crossed the rainbow bridge several months before. They did however get an Embark DNA test for Finn who turned out to be a Boxer/GSP/Lab mix and just after his first birthday he is about 70 lbs. I am not sure how much more bulk he will add over the next year. If I had to guess, he looks like a great dane and has some of biggest paws I've ever seen on a dog.

I agree, he definitely has Dane in him. What a handsome boy!

I have had dogs all my life. the longest DH and I have been without a dog since we got married is 6 months. All rescues, except one.
Our current guy is a SharPei/Pit mix, the most chill dog I have every had. He is my 90 lb lap dog/therapist. He's a home-body and would rather hang out for belly rubs than anything else. He is the first dog I have ever owned who does not like walks!! We get two houses down and he turns around to go home. Oh well, he can do the pittie zoomies in the back yard to get his exercise! Although at 12, he doesn't do them as often or for as long. He is aging faster than I would like.

Our new puppy is definitely adorable, our first dog is slowly getting used to her, definitely seeing behaviour that would qualify as play despite the snarling and curled lips. Looking forward to when the puppy stops peeing and pooping all over the house.

I have had dogs all my life. the longest DH and I have been without a dog since we got married is 6 months. All rescues, except one.
Our current guy is a SharPei/Pit mix, the most chill dog I have every had. He is my 90 lb lap dog/therapist. He's a home-body and would rather hang out for belly rubs than anything else. He is the first dog I have ever owned who does not like walks!! We get two houses down and he turns around to go home. Oh well, he can do the pittie zoomies in the back yard to get his exercise! Although at 12, he doesn't do them as often or for as long. He is aging faster than I would like.

Pits have a bad rep, but the vast majority of them are lovable, affectionate dogs. I was working with one last night in a dog manners class I help instruct. He's a big, friendly guy who just needs a little guidance.

Back
Top Bottom