Don't move to Florida?

Florida woman is constantly on the move.

Just now from Newsweek site:

"Florida Woman Hides in Store Ceiling for Six Hours to Try to Avoid Being Arrested for Shoplifting"

About that Florida heat. I've travelled everywhere man, all times of the year. Lived in South Florida awhile back.

Nothing, nothing beats Houston heat. It just sits on you, threatening to push you into the ground, inch by inch.

About that Florida heat. I've travelled everywhere man, all times of the year. Lived in South Florida awhile back.

Nothing, nothing beats Houston heat. It just sits on you, threatening to push you into the ground, inch by inch.

Never lived in Houston, but I lived in College Station, Texas which is not far from Houston and it was probably the hottest place I have ever lived.

That's saying a lot since I have lived in New Orleans for the past several decades. :D It does get hot here but at least we get lots of rain now and then. The rain breaks the heat and makes the vegetation green, lush, and growing.

I've lived all over Florida. The hottest summers I've experienced were in Charleston, SC. The heat, humidity and lack of breeze made for an uncomfortable combination.

We live in NE Fla, you do get used to the heat, in fact we miss it when away in colder climes, we do get a break in the winter months, but still have no snow. We are also way less crowded and have far less congestion than down south.

I've read stories of people living above the Arctic circle who break out the shorts and T shirts whenever the temps get above 30F....so I imagine humans do acclimate. I just wonder how long it takes? HAHA.

IMO St. Louis and other inland Mississippi Valley places can give houston a run for it's money. On top of that, St. Louis has no beach area to run off to. In STL, people are just stuck there. In Houston, the gulf coast is there with it's cooler breezes.

I was in Houston on a hot humid day. I've never experienced humidity and heat like that. I felt like you had to use your arms to swim though the air. Instant sweat like you jumped into a swimming pool.

FYI: I'm a Minnesota boy.
You get used to it after about 30 years though.

IMO St. Louis and other inland Mississippi Valley places can give houston a run for it's money. On top of that, St. Louis has no beach area to run off to. In STL, people are just stuck there. In Houston, the gulf coast is there with it's cooler breezes.

Yeah, as long as you are near the Gulf. We are 60+ miles north of the Gulf shore (still in the Houston area) and that breeze never makes it this far! :D

There is always Death Valley.

I was in Houston on a hot humid day. I've never experienced humidity and heat like that. I felt like you had to use your arms to swim though the air. Instant sweat like you jumped into a swimming pool.

FYI: I'm a Minnesota boy.

I know your area after spending a good bit of time in Wisconsin. We still go to Tomahawk, WI almost every year in the summer which occurs for two weeks in July (maybe). LOL

I know your area after spending a good bit of time in Wisconsin. We still go to Tomahawk, WI almost every year in the summer which occurs for two weeks in July (maybe). LOL

I live not too far from Tomahawk, WI, aja, and it's been a little different this summer. Since around mid-June, it's been quite warm around here......lots of 80+ degree weather, and a fair amount of 85+ degree weather (and pretty humid, too). Even today, it is 86 degrees and humid here. And the 10-day forecast says the above-normal heat will continue. Now, I know we are nowhere near as hot as Houston, Arizona, South Florida, etc, but for around here, it has been a warm summer. We have been running our AC way more than normal, I know that (and my electric bill shows it!:()

I live not too far from Tomahawk, WI, aja, and it's been a little different this summer. Since around mid-June, it's been quite warm around here......lots of 80+ degree weather, and a fair amount of 85+ degree weather (and pretty humid, too). Even today, it is 86 degrees and humid here. And the 10-day forecast says the above-normal heat will continue. Now, I know we are nowhere near as hot as Houston, Arizona, South Florida, etc, but for around here, it has been a warm summer. We have been running our AC way more than normal, I know that (and my electric bill shows it!:()

Yes, that is pretty warm for up that way. Two years ago, I spent two weeks (June 5 - 20) in Cedarville, Mi and it was great with temps during the day in the high 60's and 40's at night. We were in Tomahawk last July and I remember 50 F morning temps.

I love that area, but DW can't handle the cold winters. So we go visit her sister for a while in Tomahawk!

I've read stories of people living above the Arctic circle who break out the shorts and T shirts whenever the temps get above 30F....so I imagine humans do acclimate. I just wonder how long it takes? HAHA.

Arctic circle? Come to MN. Flip flops and shorts by the time it reaches 30 degrees in the spring. It feels like mid summer to us after a long winter.

Arctic circle? Come to MN. Flip flops and shorts by the time it reaches 30 degrees in the spring. It feels like mid summer to us after a long winter.

It’s all relative. I grew up in southeast Georgia where 100F and 100% humidity were possible. When we saw the old Die Hard battery commercials and Vikings and Packers games when it snowed we just pitied anyone who had to live there. Now I’ve spent my adult life in St. Paul and have learned that a lot of people, if not most, LIKE the cold. They don’t even notice that it’s cold, because it just is. The only weather tough and hearty Minnesotans, like my DW, ever complain about is when it gets humid, like now. And what pitiful whining it is, godbless’em! Hilarious.

Last edited:
We did not turn our heat on once last winter, as 55 degrees just is not cold to us. It's "put on the sweatsuit until the sun comes up."

The humidity in Houston reminded me of the tropics.

We did not turn our heat on once last winter, as 55 degrees just is not cold to us. It's "put on the sweatsuit until the sun comes up."

Is the 55F the indoor or outdoor temperature?

When we are up at our 7,000-ft high-country boondocks home in the winter, we do not raise the thermostat which is left year-round at the lowest setting possible at 45F.

The outdoor gets down to below 0F sometimes. The record low is -12F, although the coldest we experienced when there was -5F.

At night, we keep warm inside our bedroom with a space heater set at 60F. In the morning, I go out to the living space at 50F, and sit sipping coffee waiting for the sun to come up to shine through large glass panes to warm the house up.

Last edited:
I grew up in New Orleans and have lived in the Houston area for over 30 years. As we are fond of saying yeah it's hot and humid but we at least we don't have to shovel it.

Our miserable summers are payback for our mild winters.

Back
Top Bottom