Don't move to Florida?

That's the other thing about Florida. All those games old people play have such funny names. Pickleboard. Shuffleball. Pee-nockle.

This is not my first time living in Florida. I have every right to poke fun because I've seen a lot of it before (although it's much more crowded now):cool:

The weirdest thing, to me, is that the old people - besides being everywhere - look, talk, and act exactly like they did 40 years ago, even though these have got to be the grandchildren of the old people I remember. In that way, it is as if I never left.

I forgot that people who work in the stores are (generally) less surly than I'd grown accustomed to up north. We almost didn't know how to handle it when someone came over to help us with our large order at BJs. In the BJs where we used to shop, the employees mostly acted as if you were there to make their lives a burden, and should be apprised of that fact.

Isn't that where you just moved to? If so, get used to the old people and their games! :D

Last edited:
Don't complain about the temperatures in Florida. If you've ever been to Texas, Louisiana or even Arkansas on a Summer afternoon, temperatures will be higher than Florida and zero winds experienced.

That's the other thing about Florida. All those games old people play have such funny names. Pickleboard. Shuffleball. Pee-nockle.

Hey hey I am "only" 59 playing that old person's game. :cool:
Actually many 20 somethings are now playing the game for (small) prize money.
National tournament in Naples.

Which game? Pee-nockle or pickleboard? LOL the names are what get me. I'm not interested in playing games myself, but I'm glad others enjoy them.

Hey hey I am "only" 59 playing that old person's game. :cool:
Actually many 20 somethings are now playing the game for (small) prize money.
National tournament in Naples.

Which game? Pee-nockle or pickleboard? LOL the names are what get me. I'm not interested in playing games myself, but I'm glad others enjoy them.

That would be Pickleball. haha
I believe the originators had a dog named Pickles who used to chase after the ball. lol

I forgot that people who work in the stores are (generally) less surly than I'd grown accustomed to up north. We almost didn't know how to handle it when someone came over to help us with our large order at BJs. In the BJs where we used to shop, the employees mostly acted as if you were there to make their lives a burden, and should be apprised of that fact.

The first time they offered to take my groceries to the car at Publix after bagging them I almost could not believe it . Just be careful in Beall's the checkers love to talk about everything so check out takes forever .The thing that took getting used to was the pace . It moves in slow motion . Call a contractor and if they show up the job takes forever .

I find it interesting as we age what our bodies can tolerate. I get sick quickly in the heat. Never used to be the case.

Agree, it has been extra hot. But between 90's and humid vs. a winter of 20's/30's snow and ice up North, I will still take the Florida weather in my retirement stage.

I find it interesting as we age what our bodies can tolerate. I get sick quickly in the heat. Never used to be the case.

I wish I could take the heat and humidy of the SE or the furnace blaze "dry heat" of the SW. It would open up relatively low cost areas to hide forever from the cold and dark of the north. I doubt I can take the summers in the south since I find even the summers up north a challenge. So, I try the visit the south as a winter snowbird.

Ft Meyers area in December.

Then back to Kansas to ?cool off?

:dance: :LOL: :facepalm:

heh heh heh - Used to do Texas(Port Aransas) but they(VRBO) haven't rebuilt since the hurricane. Need new stomping grounds for February. :cool:

Agree, it has been extra hot. But between 90's and humid vs. a winter of 20's/30's snow and ice up North, I will still take the Florida weather in my retirement stage.

Yeah, Florida is great in the winter, but no way could I tolerate the heat during most of their summer. Snowbirding is the way to go, for us anyway.......

It seems funny how folks from up North winge about the Florida heat. honestly, one does get used to it.

We moved from: The UK - Canada - Denver - SoCAL to The Caribbean and Back to Canada and finally here to Florida, and I traveled almost everywhere when w*orking. We both found that after a while we did not think about it anymore, it is the norm now. But man do we complain when go up North.

OK SoCAL has the best weather anywhere in the USA, but even there it can get cool, but by far the best all around weather. Unfortunately the amount of people and traffic outweigh the climate IOHO YMMV.

So before you decide that you cannot tolerate any given environment you need to give it a little more than just a few months to acclimatize. The human body is very resilient and adaptable.

The title of this Thread should really have a "Please" in front of it, as we like it just fine after 12 years. Now those damn NoSeeUms are another story. :yuk:

Last edited:
It seems funny how folks from up North winge about the Florida heat. honestly, one does get used to it.

When we were down in Florida last winter (for 3 months), I talked to about 8 different folks in our neighborhood (all year-round residents down there), to get their opinions on what they thought about the heat during the summer. All of these folks had lived there year round for several years or more. The results were interesting - about a 50/50 split on whether the summer heat didn't bother them, or did bother them. A couple said what you said......"you do get used to it after a while, it doesn't bother me anymore". Another guy, who has lived there for 30+ years (originally from West Virginia) said "it's baloney that you get used to it......it's just way too damn hot for me in the summer here". The latter guy works out side in his yard all the time (including summer, he said), so he's not inside in the A/C very much, like I suppose a lot of folks are when it's 95+ degrees.......

I’ve been down here a little over 5 years now. And it’s defiantly to hot to do yard work. But I only pay $80 a month to have it mowed. It’s not to hot for me to go golfing thou.

And people are still moving down, In just the last 5 years it’s been growing at a steady pace. Lots of building going on. Of coarse it takes forever to get a new home built. And prices are rising.

We take vacations during the summer, but it seems to be hot everywhere in July and August. It doesn’t generally get above 94, but it’s 94 everyday for months. It does cool down a little after the daily thunderstorms.

Don't complain about the temperatures in Florida. If you've ever been to Texas, Louisiana or even Arkansas on a Summer afternoon, temperatures will be higher than Florida and zero winds experienced.

+1

I've lived in many parts of Florida (Pensacola, Jacksonville, Cape Canaveral, Orlando, Tampa, Key West). But the hottest and most humid place I have lived was Charleston, SC.

Here in the northeast one local TV station calls their weather "First Alert Weather", even in the summer. Because a blizzard could break out at any moment.

So before you decide that you cannot tolerate any given environment you need to give it a little more than just a few months to acclimatize. The human body is very resilient and adaptable.

There is a woman at my gym who had to move to West Palm Beach for a job. She said she cried every day for about 2 weeks due to the heat, thinking she had made a terrible decision. Then her body adapted. She stayed for several years.

I have lived in Kansas and Texas when younger and never got used to the heat. Exercised outdoors in winter and inside in the summer. Got sun stroke a few times. Here if it’s higher than 80 I don’t exercise outside although I can go to a festival and be outside for maybe a hour.

Heat smeet.

30 years in New Orleans. Even lived 'on da Lake' without A/C. Used to wear a sweater to work cause they had the office too cold.

:dance: :dance::LOL::LOL::rolleyes:

heh heh heh - post 2005 working on acclimatizing high plains winters. Grin. :angel:

heh heh heh - post 2005 working on acclimatizing high plains winters. Grin. :angel:

Good luck with that, Uncle Mick! We all have to do what we have to do and I don’t know your particular reasons but I’m a Georgian married to a Minnesotan and I’ve never gotten used to those brutal winters even after 26 of them. I’ve tried living like the locals with skiing, snow shoeing, ice fishing, winter fly fishing... but the best winter sport for me remains going to Florida or Latin America for a week in February. The Missus knows the number of future winters I plan to suffer through in the future can be counted on about half of one hand.

Maybe I'm just getting old, but over my lifetime I've been warned about Communists, nuclear war, over population, running out of oil, running out of food, nuclear power plants, global cooling, global warming, acid rain, the Japanese buying up all of the US, the Saudis buying up all the US, Y2K and global financial collapse among just a few "end of the world as we know it" apocalypses. (oh! and the end of SS)

I just can't get worked up about this stuff anymore.

I'm living the same life, doing the same things and going to the same places that I have for my entire 67 years. Not much has changed in my day-to-day as far as I can see.

Yeah, no kidding. I remember most of those crises, too. This is just the latest. Alarmists sure get a lot of traction.

I'd be more worried about "Florida Man" than about flooding...

Yeah, no kidding. I remember most of those crises, too. This is just the latest. Alarmists sure get a lot of traction.

I'd be more worried about "Florida Man" than about flooding...
+1

I was wondering when he was going to make his appearance. :) It’s real, and has no counterpart on the “list of reasons not to live in Texas”. You can minimize risk of floods and hurricanes by moving away from the coastal areas, but there is no escaping Florida Man.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom