Driving a 20' U-Haul

utrecht

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
For anyone who has done it, how hard would you say it is, for someone who has no experience, to drive a 20' U-Haul moving truck 1300 miles?

I've driven moving vans across town a few times and would be totally confidant driving any vehicle, but my recovery from back surgery has not gone well at all so far, so I'm not sure I will be able to make the drive. DW is a retired police officer just like I am and very capable of handling herself, but I'm hesitant about her driving the truck and looking for possible plan B.

Last edited:
I've done it, no big deal. I did need a spotter backing into a driveway, I kept turning too late.. But using the mirrors (a lot!) will keep you out of most jams. They all have power steering/brakes now so having your wife drive shouldn't be an issue.

By the end of the first day you'll be used to it.

Did it when I was 21. No problem with driving. You do need to understand how to:

Properly adjust the mirrors, Back up,
Understand all the controls,
Understand the brakes(length to slow/stop).

Remember your driving a tall vehicle that shouldn't go into some low clearance places. Strong winds can move it around on some highways. You'll quickly get used to that.

Biggest problem was the foolish folks in cars cutting it too close. Just take your time and give them plenty of room.

🐑

Last edited:
Ditto to what the others said. You really want to be extra careful when you find yourself in congested places like gas stations and cafes.
Every bit as important is getting a good packing job done so the cargo will survive all the twists, turns, and bumps.

I know this is gonna sound sexist, so I apologize in advance, but you guys would be OK with your wife making that 1300 mile drive alone when she's never driven a large heavy truck before? We have exactly one month, but if my back doesn't heal in time, I wont even be able to be in the truck.

She's 45, in good health and highly capable of handling difficult situations, but it still makes me nervous. Just driving a car 1300 miles alone is not all that easy. Maybe I'm just over protective?

Watch out for covered car ports in Apartment/Condo parking lots.

I know this is gonna sound sexist, so I apologize in advance, but you guys would be OK with your wife making that 1300 mile drive alone when she's never driven a large heavy truck before? We have exactly one month, but if my back doesn't heal in time, I wont even be able to be in the truck.

She's 45, in good health and highly capable of handling difficult situations, but it still makes me nervous. Just driving a car 1300 miles alone is not all that easy. Maybe I'm just over protective?

She is a retired police officer, right?

And I thought that America is far too protective of "The Children....

-gauss

I once drove a 16' U-haul about 20 miles. Too big for my taste -- thought I was gonna kill someone. The only good thing is cars, large and small dodged me instead of the other way around.

You'll get used to it. I had never driven one before and did an 1800 miler.

Presumably she has her LEOSA card, a cell phone, and a GPS? But I'd think if she's a retired officer she could handle it. She has certainly been in more difficult situations.

As others have noted the main issues will be gas stations and the like where things are crowded. Open highways will be just boring.

But to ease your mind, ask her to phone you at every gas stop if you can't make the trip. That is, if she doesn't call you a chauvinist pig and to shove it.:D

Long ago I let my then GF drive my Winnebago Motorhome 24'. Prior to that she never drove anything bigger then a big Buick. With a bit of coaching she did well, got a little nervous when we hit a section of highway construction with Jersey barriers on both sides, a slight more coaching and noting " a tad more to the left" and she managed that too.

Perhaps a few laps around town before the big trip to acclimate. She will do just fine.

Last edited:
Do you have a trusted friend, neighbor, or relative that could go in the truck with her? It would cost you money for some extra lodging, food and a return plane ticket, but might ease both of your minds.

Utrecht,

How does DW feel about the drive? If she's confident and capable why not? If she doesn't feel good about it, you'll need plan b.

🐑

Do you have a trusted friend, neighbor, or relative that could go in the truck with her? It would cost you money for some extra lodging, food and a return plane ticket, but might ease both of your minds.

That's a possibility we are thinking about also.

Utrecht,

How does DW feel about the drive? If she's confident and capable why not? If she doesn't feel good about it, you'll need plan b.

🐑

She feels confidant that she can do it, but she's never tried it so I'm not sure how she can be so confidant. If she had driven a moving truck across town before and was confidant that she could drive it the much longer 1300 miles, I would be confidant in her confidence. I'm starting to feel a little better about it after posting this thread though.

I was recently driving my SUV up one of the steepest hills in British Columbia (from the snowshed up to the Coquihalla summit on Hwy 5) and there was a heavy semi groaning up the slow lane, with a UHaul behind it. All of a sudden, the UHaul decided to overtake the semi and pulled out into my lane without looking or indicating. Fortunately I was able to brake and avoid a collision.

Not directly relevant to your situation, but the UHaul driver was clearly not a professional and probably got distracted while trying to process too many pieces of information.

If I thought I could physically drive a car the 1300 miles, then driving a 20' UHaul would not worry me too much. A bigger truck might be a bit rougher ridding, depending on the truck, but I have never found them hard to drive. I usually drive bigger vehicles, slower and easier and pay particular attention to wide turns. Another thing to be aware of, that I have not seen mentioned, is to be sure your load is secured and properly distributed in the truck. UHaul should be able to help you understand how to properly distribute and secure the load in their particular trucks.

Last edited:
Take your time and watch your clearance and it is no biggie. Much easier than the 40 foot long pickup/travel trailer combo DW and I regularly drive this time of year.

Not a problem. You or your wife will likely be able to drive it 1300 miles without a hitch. The trickiest issues are backing up (only ever do this slowly with a spotter helping) and watching out for low overhangs.

Do be sure you have properly packed and secured your load. Nothing that you "place" in the truck will be in the same place unless you securely tie it down.

When we moved from OH to CT in 1989, I drove the largest available U-Haul. I think it was about 36 feet. It was not too difficult actually maneuvering it, but one thing you will notice while driving it is how incredibly stupid some car drivers can be. You wouldn't believe the number of people who zipped in front of me as if I could stop on a dime. Ever since, I have been very considerate of truck drivers on the highway. They have a very tough job.

One other thing about UHaul Trucks...Reserve early and make an effort to bag a new (er) vehicle. Our last move was in an almost new truck. It just felt better, tighter, and I felt less likely to give me problems. I pestered them big time 3 days before pickup to be sure they knew what I wanted.

Check out getting a pod, packing it and letting a truck get it and deliver it to your destination. There are many levels between U-Haul and Allied Van Lines.

Ha

When we moved from OH to CT in 1989, I drove the largest available U-Haul. I think it was about 36 feet. It was not too difficult actually maneuvering it, but one thing you will notice while driving it is how incredibly stupid some car drivers can be. You wouldn't believe the number of people who zipped in front of me as if I could stop on a dime. Ever since, I have been very considerate of truck drivers on the highway. They have a very tough job.

Take the CDW and it is "make my day" time...

The idiots zipping in front, that is the reward for leaving a safe distance to stop in front of you !

Check out getting a pod, packing it and letting a truck get it and deliver it to your destination. There are many levels between U-Haul and Allied Van Lines.

Ha
On the same type of alternative, old dominion freight lines, and some others will leave a commercial box trailer in front of your house , and you load, they pick it up when you are ready, and transport for you. You only pay for the space and weight of your stuff. Might not be cheaper than u-haul, but cheaper then movers,

Back
Top Bottom