Ex Colleague Passed Away

Yeah, get used to it. The older you get the more common it becomes... until it stops.

Yeah, probably better not to look at the actuarial tables. They're depressing. I do kind of like the tables used by the gummint when figuring my RMDs. According to them, I'm good for a long time! Since they did away with the RMD for 2020, does that mean we get another year of life tacked on?:facepalm:

Yeah, probably better not to look at the actuarial tables. They're depressing. I do kind of like the tables used by the gummint when figuring my RMDs. According to them, I'm good for a long time! Since they did away with the RMD for 2020, does that mean we get another year of life tacked on?:facepalm:

I hope so! :D

Back when I was stationed in the UK while in the Air Force, I received a reunion notice that included a list of class members who had passed away. The name that stood out to me was my own!

A few weeks ago I learned of an old girlfriend that had passed away fifteen years ago at age 48. That hit me hard.

I left Orlando in '66 the day after HS graduation. Then about 25-30 years ago a rumor was going around that I had died in Viet Nam and another rumor was I had become a priest.

Neither one was true. :D Thank goodness! Both would have been a bummer.

Cheers!

Interesting how several people in this string referenced dead friends who were fitness oriented.

Well, if this whole thread isn't spookily coincidental. Last Wed, the day this thread was started, in fact within the hour the first entry was posted I had a major heart attack and spent 3 days in the hospital. Now I have 3 stents in me. I work out all the time and mowing the lawn in the heat of the day is something I do every week. I never have a problem with it. At 2 months from 63 I was thinking if I was setting up for a heart attack I'd know it or I'd have already died. And earlier that morning I had been to the urologist to close out the recent "Kidney Stone Surgery Affair." I thought nothing could be worse than kidney stone surgery!

On the bright side I know the best time to take social security. All those 30 year calculations and probably the 20 year ones appear to be laughably passe.

I am so glad I quit working early and have just been cruising for 24 years.

Last edited:
Razztazz
Wow, so glad you are ok! What a reminder that Life is short.
Enjoy every day!

^ glad all went well for ad are on the recovery side, and back to normal.

It is amazing all the people I know that have passed. Another one this week he was 65, went to a funeral a couple of weeks ago.

I check a few local funeral home obit almost daily and I know a lot of the people.

Razztazz
Wow, so glad you are ok! What a reminder that Life is short.
Enjoy every day!

Really. I am just wanting to get through the next 4-8 weeks till I start feeling recovered and as back-to-normal as I am going to be. I wonder if I will conduct myself any differently. The last time I had a medical scare I said "if I get through this I'm going to really start doing all those things blah blah blah..."
As soon as they said "It's nothing" I just went back to life as normal. Everything can wait and nothing is all that important.

I hope you get through it OK! I’m sure it’s a wake up call of some kind to you, or it would be to me. On the other hand, for what, I wonder, since it sounds like you do things “right”? Maybe it’s to enjoy and value what time you/we have. Regardless, best wishes for your recovery.

Thank goodness you made it, Razztazz! And I guess you have a little downtime to plan the Next Big Thing. Make it something celebratory.

FWI, my brother on Tuesday and DW's sister on Wednesday. What a week, last week was.

Thank goodness you made it, Razztazz! And I guess you have a little downtime to plan the Next Big Thing. Make it something celebratory.

I'm actually a little bit hacked because all those painting projects I had on the list for the summer are now off the table. The deck and bathrooms can wait but the cheap particle board cabinets need a make-over. And I need a new air conditioner too! Was joking with a friend last night. "I wonder which will end up costing me more? The heart attack or the new A/C?"

Along similar lines, a high school classmate keeps track of all 72 of our graduating class, sending out emails of the obituary whenever we lose someone. Got one of those emails last week.

Now that we are in our 70's, they are becoming more frequent.

My high school has a memoriam page, sometimes, I'm sorry I hooked up with it. After 47 years, I don't recognize anyone, except for an occasional name.

Well, if this whole thread isn't spookily coincidental. Last Wed, the day this thread was started, in fact within the hour the first entry was posted I had a major heart attack and spent 3 days in the hospital. Now I have 3 stents in me. I work out all the time and mowing the lawn in the heat of the day is something I do every week. I never have a problem with it. At 2 months from 63 I was thinking if I was setting up for a heart attack I'd know it or I'd have already died. And earlier that morning I had been to the urologist to close out the recent "Kidney Stone Surgery Affair." I thought nothing could be worse than kidney stone surgery!

On the bright side I know the best time to take social security. All those 30 year calculations and probably the 20 year ones appear to be laughably passe.

I am so glad I quit working early and have just been cruising for 24 years.

Wow...talk about timing! Glad to hear that you came out of it and able to post about it!

Wow...talk about timing! Glad to hear that you came out of it and able to post about it!
Yes. The timing. I was thinking "What if I have a heart attack during the operation or maybe during the recovery?" It's painful, stressful, and surgery is always a little scary. And you have to walk around with a stent in the tube that leads from your kidney for a week after the surgery. Then they have to go back in a remove that.

Afterwards my sense of near-invulnerability went up dramatically since I had weathered the whole thing. Less than two weeks later ... Whammo!

Yes. The timing. I was thinking "What if I have a heart attack during the operation or maybe during the recovery?"

A good friend of mine was in for an angiogram to examine a suspected blockage, and he had a heart attack while on the table.
Talk about being in the right place at the right time! His heart surgeon, who was doing the procedure, simply rearranged things in the OR and fixed him up.

Back
Top Bottom