Guys who have tried dying their hair and/or beard, would you reccomend it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to use "Just For Men" for beards. It works pretty well. It lasts quite a while. I think you're supposed to use one package for one treatment, but I could seal the two tubes and make them work at least 3 times though by the third time, it didn't work as well. What I liked best was that the color "tamed" my beard which, without coloring, goes every which way. I think the box cost about $8 or $9. Not too bad - but smells kinda like chemicals. YMMV

These days I just let it go.

Yeah, JFM works but I also trim on a daily basis so new gray hairs grow and defeats the purpose.

I started coloring my hair 13 years ago when I was 55 and between jobs. A friend talked me into trying it. I was about 3/4 grey at the time. I'm still doing it after all this time and don't plan on stopping. To be honest, I know I'm the only 68 year old walking around with all brown hair and I don't care. I do this because when I look in the mirror I see a younger guy. There really is a psychological effect. What others see is their business. Nobody has ever walked up to me and asked if I color my hair. Of course I do. I'm really amazed that 99% of the guys out there aren't doing it. My wife likes it.

I have a cousin who is a hairdresser that sells me the color she uses on women's hair and I put it on myself once a month. It starts to fade a bit in a week or two and maybe you can see my silver roots if the wind is blowing. So what. I might switch to the Just For Men product that shows some grey at some point. I joke that if I saw myself with a head full of my natural grey hair the shock of seeing my real age would probably give me a heart attack.

Last edited:
I'm considering it and want to know if people concluded it's too much of a hassle, does it potentially look fake, etc? Also, did you use a straight dye or one of the dye shampoos? Did you keep some grey or go full color?

I'm assuming that any NDA I signed has expired, but I was part of a group that tested a shampoo-in hair color for men from a major manufacturer, which is now a product. It worked gradually over time and did a good job. They paid me to use it and I got free product, so the added bonus was that didn't need to buy shampoo. I was also trying their beard product, which they applied for me in their salon. One time, one of their employees applied too much of the beard product and I had a bad reaction, ended up at the dermatologist (who couldn't figure what caused it). They tossed me from the testing group because I'd had an adverse reaction, and I went back to my natural hair color, which at this point is probably 75% gray with some black, but at least I still have a pretty full head of hair. Anyway, I would have no qualms recommending the shampoo-in stuff. It's much easier to use than the hair coloring kits, and you can determine how much gray you want to lose by how often you use it each week.

Interestingly, I know two men older than 68 who have full heads of not-white hair. One had sandy light brown hair into his 60's, and became a natural blond because of a mix of white and pigmented hair. His hair looks gold in the sun. I also know a woman, 64, whose hair is a beautiful - natural - light reddish brown. Most people would assume she colors it, but nope.

Genes rule, what can ya do?

To be honest, I know I'm the only 68 year old walking around with all brown hair and I don't care.

I used to use "Just For Men" for beards. It works pretty well. It lasts quite a while. I think you're supposed to use one package for one treatment, but I could seal the two tubes and make them work at least 3 times though by the third time, it didn't work as well. What I liked best was that the color "tamed" my beard which, without coloring, goes every which way. I think the box cost about $8 or $9. Not too bad - but smells kinda like chemicals. YMMV

These days I just let it go.

+1 ... AND it depends on the audience you're trying to show. I used it, post 58+ as I was single and looking. It works great. Now, I love the grey, love the Grateful Dead song "Touch of Grey". Listen, and be confident with you.

My wife does my hair color with two tones (dark and light brown highlights). I used to get my hair stylist to color my hair for after a cut. However after the pandemic, my wife took over. She uses Schwarzkopf Professional Igora Royal. I don't have a beard.

Interestingly, I know two men older than 68 who have full heads of not-white hair. One had sandy light brown hair into his 60's, and became a natural blond because of a mix of white and pigmented hair. His hair looks gold in the sun. I also know a woman, 64, whose hair is a beautiful - natural - light reddish brown. Most people would assume she colors it, but nope.

My 60 year old brother has no more gray hair than my daughter, who is in her mid-20s. My brother is the family outlier.

Genes aren't always consistent, I guess.

My 60 year old brother has no more gray hair than my daughter, who is in her mid-20s. My brother is the family outlier.

Genes aren't always consistent, I guess.

Mother died at 87 with mostly dark hair (nice "highlights" of gray) and dad still had some black with the white at 82. Older sis' hair is about like mine - still mostly dark but going gray at 78. I do get asked if I color my hair. YMMV

Yes it works well. I used to use Just for Men hair dye when I was working..too much trouble, and the results were dramatic. This is a gradual change, and is only a shampoo.

No roots but when I get a haircut the grey shows up a little more because I think the product is working on the longer hair that gets cut. After about a week it's back to not showing.

I still have a full head of hair, and it seemed most guys my age at MegaCorp (at least in my department) were using JFM... I gave it a try about 15 years ago with very good results. Now that I'm retired I've been thinking about trying Control GX (I would prefer a more salt/pepper look). Do you use the shampoo or the shampoo/conditioner?

Speaking as a woman: the color of a man's hair (or even if he has any) is far down the list of what I find attractive.

Has coloring the hair helped anyone here with getting women?

Last edited:
I still have a full head of hair, and it seemed most guys my age at MegaCorp (at least in my department) were using JFM... I gave it a try about 15 years ago with very good results. Now that I'm retired I've been thinking about trying Control GX (I would prefer a more salt/pepper look). Do you use the shampoo or the shampoo/conditioner?
I would pick whatever you use now. Do you currently use a conditioner?

I use the JFM shampoo/conditioner. It isn’t that strong. I rather have full black hair. Max you can put on is 2 minutes in the shower. Wonder if we can use this twice a day?

I agree - if the man already does the other things that make a man look younger (maintain college weight, work out, dress to suit his build and coloring, keep haircut up to date, avoid smoking, etc.) These, in case anybody cares, are things that attracted me to my husband although he was quite a bit older.

Facial hair, by the way, can be aging. A clean face, to me, looks years younger. This is only one woman's opinion, though I hold it pretty strongly and it goes back to my teens.

It does make the look younger though.

I agree - if the man already does the other things that make a man look younger (maintain college weight, work out, dress to suit his build and coloring, keep haircut up to date, avoid smoking, etc.) These, in case anybody cares, are things that attracted me to my husband although he was quite a bit older.

Facial hair, by the way, can be aging. A clean face, to me, looks years younger. This is only one woman's opinion, though I hold it pretty strongly and it goes back to my teens.

So colored hair makes the guy look younger right?

To be honest, I know I'm the only 68 year old walking around with all brown hair and I don't care.

My oldest brother, who is 72, has a 99% black hair. His hairline has receded on his forehead and temples, but not to the point where it would be considered bald. He insists he does not dye it, and I have seen him enough to know that he does not. He has a very small gray "cluster" on the hair in the back, at the bottom of his neck.

My 71 year old brother's hair is completely white and bald on the top. My 59 year old brother has mostly dark hair with a bald spot on the top and upper back of his hear. So genes wise we are all over the place. :D.

Only if the man's overall looks support relative youth.

If they don't, then the colored hair just raises the question "Does he dye it?"

F.I.R.E.,

From another post here, I deduce you are coloring your hair black.

From my observation, very few to no people (male or female) look younger (= good) with full-on dyed-black hair as they age.

Our skin, hair, eye colors all start to soften/lighten a bit as we get into our senior years. And full-on black hair looks harsh and aging, imho.

omni

I just use the shampoo a few times per week. You can experiment with how many days you need it for the results you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom