Handicap Parking Rant

Snidely Whiplash

Recycles dryer sheets
As I indicated previously, wife has a terminal cancer diagnosis, but is doing very well. Many more good days than bad of late for which we are very grateful.

We have a handicap placard for our vehicle which we rarely use. We moved into a condo building of about 20 units with an immediately adjacent parking lot for residents. All residents have an assigned space in the lot with one handicap space for the building (I bet everyone can guess what's coming now, eh?).

One resident of the building (lady with a walker) uses the handicap space for a car that is rarely used. Rarely as in maybe once every three months. Lady with a walker lives in a condo next to her son and his family who, when the lady with a walker uses her car (she doesn't drive, one of the family members drives her), promptly move their suv into the space to save same until lady with a walker's car returns home. Ninety percent of the time the lady with a walker's family drive her in their suv, but once every three months or so the car is moved with the son / family moving their suv into the space to save it. I guess they have acquired a duplicate handicap placard somehow.

I'm pretty good at the problem ownership thing and limiting my concerns to things that only directly affect me and letting everything else go, but the selfishness of this really plucks my nerves for some reason. I'm not bashful about being direct and stating my position (rather bluntly if need be) but in this instance I cant bring myself to harangue an old woman with a walker.

My wife would hardly ever need to use the space, and truthfully we can work around not having it available, but it bothers me a good bit looking out the window at a car that isn't moved but once every three month. Complaining to the condo board isn't really an option (and not really my style) because the son is the head of the condo association.

I'm just venting, as much as anything, but certainly open to creative options other than sitting on my porch cleaning my scary black guns regularly and making belligerent comments about the selfish neighbors, which wont go over well with my (too kind) wife.

How many handicap parking spaces are required in the lot?
Every state has a different formula, so you should be able to look that up easily.

1 in 20 sounds low to me, so maybe you have justification for getting another space marked.

yeah, 1/20 sounds crazy low. Start with city/county/state info, and then appeal to your condo board.

Stoke the proposal with a good bottle of whiskey

I'll hazard a data-free guess that your designated space isn't in a convenient location, but that there might be several spaces that would be.

Would it be a huge problem for the other condo owners if your reservation were reassigned to a more accessible space (currently owned by someone else), complete with handicap markings?

Perhaps it would be of negligible consequence to the current assignee, but make a world of difference to you. Under that scenario, I believe 90% of people - and 99.9% of good people - would agree to it.

Do you know for sure they have a duplicate handicap placard, as in you have seen it ?

IF they don't have one, next time they save the spot, phone the cops to get them ticketed. It will feel good.
Then if they stop saving the space , because the cops keep getting called and fining them, you can take the spot for when they return to find it occupied. They can learn to share.

Do you know for sure they have a duplicate handicap placard, as in you have seen it ?

IF they don't have one, next time they save the spot, phone the cops to get them ticketed. It will feel good.
Then if they stop saving the space , because the cops keep getting called and fining them, you can take the spot for when they return to find it occupied. They can learn to share.

Yes, it does smell a bit fishy that they have a handicap placard for the SUV as well as the legit person's car. Likely, the serial number of the placard used for the SUV does not relate to the SUV. Or, if it does, it may have been obtained fraudulently.

I'd call the police while the SUV is parked in the spot and see what they do. Handicap parking spot violations are rampant in most areas, so they may not do much.......

I'd also go to the condo board and ask that accommodations be made for your wife. While OP feels that the "son" as board president won't do anything, that may not be correct. Since the son is going out of his way to ensure "legit handicapped mom" has the handicap spot, he might be sympathetic to adding another couple spots or getting your regular spot reassigned. He seems to understand the importance.

If the condo board doesn't cooperate, contact your town authorities. Don't make it personal. Don't mention that one person is dominating the single handicap spot. Just say there is only one spot and it's never available causing hardship to your wife. Ask them if this single spot fulfills the legal requirements.

Last edited:
Many states allow you to petition your city or town to provide a handicap parking space for homeowners if there is insufficient parking available.

Good replies and I'm appreciative for the suggestions.

Florida (our state) requires 3 handicap spaces per 100 private condominium units. The entire complex is 300 units and their are at least 9 spaces overall.

That requirement is only a minimum.

See paragraph 4c of this relevant Florida statute:

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

The number of parking spaces for persons who have disabilities must be increased on the basis of demonstrated and documented need.

Under the ADA, you should have an excellent chance of getting an extra space allocated.

A handicapped person is using the handicapped parking space. That sounds proper, or did I misunderstand something? If there's a need for more handicapped parking that seems a worthy request of the management.

A handicapped person is using the handicapped parking space. That sounds proper, or did I misunderstand something? If there's a need for more handicapped parking that seems a worthy request of the management.

Not quite IMO.... I would say that a handicapped space is for temporary parking for a handicapped person... if they have an assigned space then they should take that space...

Since they have family at the location there should not be any problem... my mom has a handicapped placard and we sometimes use it when we take her out, but a good number of times we just drop her off at the handicapped space and then go park in a normal spot...

I agree with the people who say that they should request another handicapped space be added... the question would be does this infringe on someones assigned space...

OH, just remembered... my mom's condo has an assigned space but also public parking at the front of the building (assigned space is below the bldg).... the condo rules do not allow residents to park for more than 24 hours in the public parking... this prevents the people who have more cars than assigned spaces from keeping their extra car there... and they will tow you....

As I indicated previously, wife has a terminal cancer diagnosis, but is doing very well. Many more good days than bad of late for which we are very grateful.

We have a handicap placard for our vehicle which we rarely use. We moved into a condo building of about 20 units with an immediately adjacent parking lot for residents. All residents have an assigned space in the lot with one handicap space for the building (I bet everyone can guess what's coming now, eh?).

One resident of the building (lady with a walker) uses the handicap space for a car that is rarely used. Rarely as in maybe once every three months. Lady with a walker lives in a condo next to her son and his family who, when the lady with a walker uses her car (she doesn't drive, one of the family members drives her), promptly move their suv into the space to save same until lady with a walker's car returns home. Ninety percent of the time the lady with a walker's family drive her in their suv, but once every three months or so the car is moved with the son / family moving their suv into the space to save it. I guess they have acquired a duplicate handicap placard somehow.

I'm pretty good at the problem ownership thing and limiting my concerns to things that only directly affect me and letting everything else go, but the selfishness of this really plucks my nerves for some reason. I'm not bashful about being direct and stating my position (rather bluntly if need be) but in this instance I cant bring myself to harangue an old woman with a walker.

My wife would hardly ever need to use the space, and truthfully we can work around not having it available, but it bothers me a good bit looking out the window at a car that isn't moved but once every three month. Complaining to the condo board isn't really an option (and not really my style) because the son is the head of the condo association.

I'm just venting, as much as anything, but certainly open to creative options other than sitting on my porch cleaning my scary black guns regularly and making belligerent comments about the selfish neighbors, which wont go over well with my (too kind) wife.

I would suggest to everyone involved that you share by rotating weeks. I think a simple empathetic conversation to the lady, her son, both or even possibly the neighbors, maintenance man, condo board and anyone that will listen would change the tune.

It shouldn't be a matter of more handicapped or less handicapped, it should be a matter of both handicapped and need to share whats available. Of course that's not how the entitled world around us always works.

DF has a handicapped plate and never uses it. Go figure.

You know you can talk to people without it being called a complaint.

You assume since the car belongs to a board members Mother you can't ask a question about rules for the handicapped space?

Perhaps there are no rules, perhaps they are breaking the rules, perhaps they haven't even thought that it could be an inconvenient issue to other people.

Is there some reason you can't just go to the meeting and ask what the rules are for the handicapped spot. In my mind the issue I'd have the problem with is how they apparently "save" the space. Now for all you know they might have 2 handicapped people in that family and then you are hosed. Even though its not your style ask anyway so you can see what kind of people you are dealing with. The problem today is no one wants to even ask to be treated fairly so the jerks get to run the world.

Have to admit that I would be a bit miffed too. Even if I didn't have a handicapped wife. The space is almost certainly meant for temporary parking for visitors and dropping off handicapped residents. What is happening with the lady with walker's assigned spot. It isn't that the family actually has one extra vehicle that needs to be parked? I like the idea of getting spaces reassigned - yours or the lady's or both. Calling the cops seems a bit extreme prior to having a face to face with the son who is likely the enabler. It seems unlikely to me that one of the greatest generation would be inconveniencing others to such a degree but certainly could be wrong. More spaces sounds like a good idea - especially in Florida! ;)

That requirement is only a minimum.

See paragraph 4c of this relevant Florida statute:

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

Under the ADA, you should have an excellent chance of getting an extra space allocated.

Thank you for posting this!

A handicapped person is using the handicapped parking space. That sounds proper, or did I misunderstand something?

Nothing inappropriate about that, I agree. The issue I have is leaving the car in it, unused, for 3 months at a time and then replacing it with another vehicle to "save" the space on the few occasions the car is used. I just find it to be incredibly selfish.

It shouldn't be a matter of more handicapped or less handicapped, it should be a matter of both handicapped and need to share whats available. Of course that's not how the entitled world around us always works.

Interesting that you used the word entitled. I agree 100% and that's my only reluctance to approaching the other party. I'm generally a pretty easy going person but I tend to be blunt and irritable when dealing with selfish and entitled people. I'm certainly no shrinking violet - perhaps a bit too forward when my feathers get ruffled. I'm not sure that's an appropriate course of action with an elderly woman with a walker, so I'm trying to think of alternatives. I can approach the son but given the lack of consideration for others in taking up the space with an unused car for months at a time, I have a pretty good feeling for what direction the conversation will take.

I really think you should bring this up to a board meeting. Disregard the issue of the existing spot and who is using it and how, and just present your wife's condition and needs and that you have a handicapped tag that you would like a space to use. The other residents are likely not aware of her condition and need for a handicapped space.

So sorry about your DW :(.

I'd call the police while the SUV is parked in the spot and see what they do. Handicap parking spot violations are rampant in most areas, so they may not do much.......

It depends on the agency and perhaps even the individual officer, but when I was a police officer on the road that and idiots parking in fire lanes were two of the violations that I always wrote tickets for.

Off topic, but a funny story about a guy who parked in a fire lane during a time when there was an actual call for a fire. The fire dept. broke out two windows and ran a fire hose through the car. Then they charged the line (turned on the water) and when done made sure to dump about five gallons inside the car. I loved it!

Complaining to the condo board isn't really an option (and not really my style) because the son is the head of the condo association.
Going to an association meeting and discussing the issue in the open would be my suggestion. But it sounds like that wouldn't be your style.

I'm just venting, as much as anything
Yup. Sometimes life is like that. If I were king of the world, things would be different.

I wish you and your wife the best and hope these annoyances don't dampen your daily life too much.

Last edited:
Off topic, but a funny story about a guy who parked in a fire lane during a time when there was an actual call for a fire. The fire dept. broke out two windows and ran a fire hose through the car. Then they charged the line (turned on the water) and when done made sure to dump about five gallons inside the car. I loved it!

My father drove the fire truck for our local volunteer FD and they did that routinely when someone parked in front of the hydrant they wanted to use.

He also said they had a hook on the truck and could drag the car out of the way in a matter of seconds, usually causing considerable damage to the car. Oh, darn!

Wait a minute (unless I missed this being mentioned)...

... when the lady with a walker uses her car (she doesn't drive, one of the family members drives her),...

Do a search on your State laws (and I think Fed laws cover this), but I'm 99.9% sure that a handicap sticker/placard does not apply for a driver who is not handicapped.

Think about it - if the driver isn't handicapped, they don't need to park close. They drop the person off, and then go park the car. My Mom got threatened with a ticket for doing that when she was driving around her handicapped friend. And when my SIL drives her Mother (who is handicapped and has a sticker, but does not drive), SIL just drops her Mom off, and parks in a regular spot - because the driver is not handicapped.

She might pull into the handicap spot to drop her off though? But most places have a handicap access drop off point anyhow, IIRC.

-ERD50

Do a search on your State laws (and I think Fed laws cover this), but I'm 99.9% sure that a handicap sticker/placard does not apply for a driver who is not handicapped.

Not true.
That's why there are two types. A permanent sticker (or special license plate) for the person to use on their own car when driving. And a tag that hangs from the rear view mirror. The mirror tag can be temporary (for a temporary disability) or permanent, and can be used when the disabled person is just a passenger in someone else's vehicle.

Kind of a funny story , my father was in WWII and lost his left leg above the knee in battle . So he was either walking on his wooden leg or crutches . He refused to get a handicap placard or park in a handicap parking spot . He would always get super mad when he would see someone who he considered non handicapped using the placard .

Not true.
That's why there are two types. A permanent sticker (or special license plate) for the person to use on their own car when driving. And a tag that hangs from the rear view mirror. The mirror tag can be temporary (for a temporary disability) or permanent, and can be used when the disabled person is just a passenger in someone else's vehicle.
Thanks, I think I did get it wrong. I recall now, the issue with my Mother was, my Mother (the driver, not handicapped at the time) went into the store, and the actual handicapped passenger stayed in the car. And that is what is prohibited from what I understand. Since the actual handicapped person didn't get in/out to the store, there was no need to use the handicapped spot.

Trickier, but in the OP's case, it sure seems like the driver can move the car after getting the handicapped person back in their home.

I agree with the others, OP should just bring it up that they need a handicap spot, and there is rarely ever one available. No need to call out the other person's abuse if they aren't comfortable, simply ask that the OP's needs be met.

-ERD50

Not true.

+1

We're dealing with this right now. My 23 year old daughter had major foot surgery on May 2nd. She can't put any weight on it at all for at least 3 months. We have a temporary tag, good for 6 months, that's registered to her.

She uses crutches around the house, but when I have to take her somewhere that would involve significant walking, we use a transport chair. We definitely need the use of a handicapped parking spot for loading and unloading with the chair.

I can relate to the OP's anger somewhat. There's too much demand and not enough supply of handicapped spots in many areas, even though the facilities might be following the law for minimum standards.

Back
Top Bottom