Has anyone tried imperfect food veggies?

They don't deliver to my area but if they did I would. I like their concept a lot, and from a few folks I've seen trying them they look like a nice little company.

Without seeing the prices, I can't decide if there is value. But my first reaction is, if they don't show me the prices up front, then I am probably not getting value.

I have no problem going a local food stand and buying something that is shaped a little weird, even at full price. But going to a specialty on line grocer that Specifically looks for the things? Why?

I should have included : The prices for Weekly Estimated Subtotal:$16 Regular produce 11-13 lbs + sh 4.99.

So prices are a bit high, but without knowing anyone who has ordered anything, I don't know how unique the items are. I also like the concept.

I don't think the prices are high, that's a dollar a pound plus shipping.

It's hard to understand the way it works.

The website needs an instruction video before I'd sign up.

I selected for us, and it's vegies with some "packs" of meat, dairy, etc...

But it's not clear, what if I only drink 0% milk ? what happens to my diary pack, can I pick the milk ?

Do they carry everything, or do I still need to shop elsewhere, which kills the usefulness.

If I'm at the point of picking each thing, then I can just shop at Walmart online and pick each thing...

That's all without even talking about peeling crooked twisted carrots :eek:

I signed up a few months ago when the shelter in place here started. I canceled when it came time to make the first order as the prices for my selection didn't seem any better than the regular supermarket prices, and higher than the local ethnic markets and discount stores.

I have a local produce market that has overstocks on produce with some great deals. Most of the deals are in outside bins, so I've been going there lately for the majority of my pandemic produce shopping.

Last edited:
I saw their truck in my neighborhood delivering. I haven't tried them. If they only offer boxes of veggies that would be too much volume for me to use before they go bad...

I don't think the prices are high, that's a dollar a pound plus shipping.

They aren't bad, but shopping locally I can get a wide variety & we do have frequent sales. I was wondering how different the selection might be from this service, since you seemingly just get random stuff!

It's hard to understand the way it works.

The website needs an instruction video before I'd sign up.

:LOL:

If I'm at the point of picking each thing, then I can just shop at Walmart online and pick each thing...

That's all without even talking about peeling crooked twisted carrots :eek:

Actually we just scrub carrots, roast them and eat them with the peel on- it adds a really nice savory flavor. Much of the nutrition is in the skin of root veggies (and BONUS it is easier to prepare). They are fine to snack on as well.

I signed up a few months ago when the shelter in place here started. I canceled when it came time to make the first order as the prices for my selection didn't seem any better than the regular supermarket prices, and higher than the local ethnic markets and discount stores.

I have a local produce market that has overstocks on produce with some great deals. Most of the deals are in outside bins, so I've been going there lately for the majority of my pandemic produce shopping.

Hmmm... If there was a more convenient outdoor farmers market I'd go, but they get crowded here, and you can't count on your neighbors to be wearing a mask & socially distancing... So we've been doing curbside only up to now.

My main complaint about that is that the WM & HEB pickers aren't choosy like I am when looking at produce or at things that expire. I've had to initiate refunds for old or damaged produce, things that went out of date too quickly, etc. I'd have rather just had the good items.

I guess I'll have to mull this over for a bit. :popcorn:

My wife has been ordering from Misfits Market (misfitsmarket.com). It's produce only, "factory seconds" and organic. So far we've received about 3-4 orders and we have been moderately pleased. Many of the items are a bit misshapen or somehow less than perfect in appearance but otherwise fine. Yesterday she got a cauliflower that she thought was past its prime (as opposed to being aesthetically flawed). She felt it looked like something she'd see on the markdown cart at the super market. She took a picture of it, sent it to the company with a remark to that effect. She received an email back promptly giving her a 10% discount off her next order. We will still use the cauliflower - she will feed it to her aesthetically-flawed husband!. (That's the first time something like that has happened - everything else has been fresh.) It hasn't become our primary source of produce but we will continue to use it.

Hmmm... If there was a more convenient outdoor farmers market I'd go, but they get crowded here, and you can't count on your neighbors to be wearing a mask & socially distancing... So we've been doing curbside only up to now.

My main complaint about that is that the WM & HEB pickers aren't choosy like I am when looking at produce or at things that expire. I've had to initiate refunds for old or damaged produce, things that went out of date too quickly, etc. I'd have rather just had the good items.

I guess I'll have to mull this over for a bit. :popcorn:

This market is actually a brick and mortar store, just with an outside area under tarps. They seem to get surpluses from the local farmers. They have some real bargains, like blood oranges in perfect shape that were 25 cents a pound recently. They do get crowded but I use the Google app to show when they are least busy and go in the off hours, and then limit my inside store shopping. But, yeah, it is not as safe as curbside pickup and no matter what store I go into I rarely see 100% mask compliance, though usually it is around 90%.

One of my friends who doesn't want to go into stores paid for the monthly plan for Instacart and has been happy with their delivery service.

Last edited:
My son did, but even the smallest box was more than he would use. He also is not a cook, so many of the "unknown or unrecognized" veggies went to waste.

DGF gets the Misfit Market box once a week. Only one tomato past its prime so far. Kind of nice having different veggies come in that we have to figure out how to use.
A buck a pound isn't to bad for organic, but I don't usually buy organic.

Back
Top Bottom