Here's looking at you, kid.

Move your mouse around. Her eyes will follow. That's all I was able to figure out.

I'm going to have nightmares. I never want to see it again.

Can't make her focus. Put mouse on her nose, looks down bot there is no convergence of the eyes. Got a robotic smile by moving the mouse pointer around the head fast.

A good beginning to human facial expression. Long ways to go.

If you go to モーションポートレートæ*ªå¼ä¼šç¤¾, it gets even stranger. This girl is featured in the upper area. If you place the cursor on her, she shouts someting in Japanese at you. (You can also place the cursor over each of the two ladies in the right side column for more unintelligible noise.

I had Google translate the page but it didn't really help much... well maybe it did. It seems to be a list of iPhone Apps.

Here's an interesting one that ages the person pictured in a photograph: http://itunes.apple.com/jp/app/hourface/id347880622?mt=8

And a fun time was had by all.

Why do all the weird stuff come from Japan??

There was a recent BBC TV program titled "Where's my robot", featuring several robotics research groups around the world. One of the places covered was developing animated things like the 'girl' featured in the link.

Apparently the lead researcher chose his young daughter as the model for his first attempt; this was possibly not a good idea since the daughter cried uncontrollably on seeing her robot double.

I must say I'm not surprised. I find these things unsettling, even on the computer screen. I would think the 3D real life versions would be really creepy.

Peter

Back
Top Bottom