How did avocados get so incredibly expensive?

haha

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I had an uncle in Santa Barbara who had an avocado tree in his back yard. No way could they ever eat all of them, or give them all away to family.

I have always enjoyed avocados, but suddenly they seem to have doubled in price. What gives?

Ha

I have seen several articles about the price increase. I am not sure why. Thankfully, we are still able to get a bag of 5 or 6 at Costco for about $6. We eat them most days.

FN

It's because Australian and American millennials have made avocado toast a meme - Millionaire to millennials: Lay off the avocado toast if you want a house - May. 15, 2017

I love avocados, but they have definitely doubled in price, even at Costco. Those 5 for $6 bags used to cost $3 a year or so ago. When I get back to FL this fall I am putting in an avocado tree. I was debating between that and an orange tree, but I eat more avocados than oranges.

Viral sheep. Get used to it. Some article goes viral, or some iPhone app says "Do this", and the next thing you know the sheep are going crazy over it.

Sometimes it is a good thing, like when your neighborhood gets on some phone app radar saying it is a good place. Boom. 10% price rise overnight.

Hass Avocados are a buck each, all day long here at all the fruit stands. Im not an avocado expert so these might be small scrawny ones, just I saw them this morning next to my Italian frying peppers I bought. I remember a story when the "Mob" controlled the price of Artichokes. Lotsa money in some of these green fruits and veggies.

Last edited:
At the big grocery store near me, small Hass avocados are about $1.25 each. I eat a couple of these each week, and one is the perfect size for an avocado-centric lunch. Even if they were half that price, I'd only be saving about $60/year. I've never thought they seemed particularly expensive.

Haas avocados have been $1 each for about as long as I can remember for at least the last decade, in any state I've been in, and I have one every day. The last few weeks they've consistently been $1.49, unless you get a bag of 4-6, then they're around $1.25.

I cannot wait to have a house so I can grow my own avocado tree. If they'll even grow here.

Haas avocados have been $1 each for about as long as I can remember for at least the last decade, in any state I've been in, and I have one every day. The last few weeks they've consistently been $1.49, unless you get a bag of 4-6, then they're around $1.25.

I cannot wait to have a house so I can grow my own avocado tree. If they'll even grow here.

I have often been able to buy them for 49 cents to 69 cents each individually a year ago,
NOW they are $1.25 or more, so I don't buy them.

I basically make guacamole, so instead I buy it ready made $2.99 for 16 oz at Aldi.

You made me look at my receipt. Just bought one at the grocery store, decent size, $1.99.

The grocery business is one of the most competitive in the world, and constantly changing.

I was just reading a piece on Aldi's expansion and it contained the tidbit that Aldi has owned Trader Joe's since 1979. I had no idea.

I buy them when I want to and never even consider the price, don't even look at it. Too busy squeezing to get just the right firmness.

I had a roast chicken sandwich at lunch, that had a lot of avocado in it, probably half of a big one or all of a smaller avocado. It was delicious!

The sandwich cost the same as it always has. Sounds like the price is going to start going up.

Costco bundles of avocados still $6, but they are from Peru right now which aren't nearly as good as the ones from Mexico.

Just had an avocado in a chicken sandwich. Yum.

Price for avocado (bought at grocery store) was about $1.49. A lot healthier than a giant sized Big Gulp :).

Same here, up until a couple months ago I paid $.50/each for a small Hass, now it's close to a buck. I use to put a whole one in my morning smoothie, now I cut them in half.

We've noticed a real decline in the quality of the avocados over the past year. The number that seem fine but are rotten in the center has risen along with the price, and we're more bothered with the waste.

Ever increasing demand is straining agricultural production.

"The average American eats 7 pounds of guacamole a year, up from 1.1 pounds in 1989"

"A standard box of 48 avocados went for $83.75 this week, the ARA reports. That's up from $37.25 in early January."

Unusually hot weather has caused harvest problems, and of course it's a very popular food now.

Avocado prices have soared 125% this year - Sep. 9, 2017

I had an uncle in Santa Barbara who had an avocado tree in his back yard. No way could they ever eat all of them, or give them all away to family.

I have always enjoyed avocados, but suddenly they seem to have doubled in price. What gives?

Ha

The millennial generation has an affinity for avocado toast (just google it) generating excess demand.

I don't know about avocado prices, but have you ever tried avocado slices with soy sauce and wasabi? When avocado was introduced in Japan years and years ago, that's how everyone used to eat them (I would say this recipe was definitely trending.) - Eating this dish is like eating Toto (the fatty belly of the tuna, which is the most expensive part of tuna) sashimi. Very close in flavor IMO and many Japanese people's opinion. The avocado is a cheap man's toro.

Last edited:
I don't know about avocado prices, but have you ever tried avocado slices with soy sauce and wasabi? When avocado was introduced in Japan years and years ago, that's how everyone used to eat them (I would say this recipe was definitely trending.) - Eating this dish is like eating Toto (the fatty belly of the tuna, which is the most expensive part of tuna) sashimi. Very close in flavor IMO and many Japanese people's opinion. The avocado is a cheap man's toro.
May all of your days be blessed!

Back
Top Bottom