into the room they come and go...

T

tozz

talking of Michelangelo...

Donner's back!

can you believe it?!  and after slogging through what most certainly was at least a few hundred backlogged messages, I see that charlie is gone.  Or is he back?  and th too!  gone or present, my head is blowing.  I'm so freakin confused.  I need a drink.  NOW.  who's on first?  who's trying to outrun the big blow??  Anyone else worried about our happy burbler, unclemick?

anyhow, after reading the charlie thread, it's apparent that it is increasingly difficult to keep track of the cast of characters here.  especially if you only participate to partake in self-absorbed prattle.  like me.  or to re-read your own own posts ("Tozz, dude--AWESOME message!").  I find it easier with puppets.  anyone else do this?  my puppets are next to my computer, so when I read a message, the puppet acts it out.  The caroline puppet has big glasses.  why?  it's why she's so good at reading between the lines.  that caroline.  then there's the puppet with all the clingy thai ladies.  or are they boys?  hey--who cares!  don't forget the marshac and laurence puppets, wise beyond their years.  crowd-pleasers too, you just want to pinch their cheeks and go goochygoochy goo.  gooch goo!  hey who's that?  the puppet with the pony tail and surfboard. does ebay sell old Ventures albums?  hey, who's the chef.  the one with the smirk, and twinkle in his eye.  ah, who is lurking in the background.  is 'gravitas' gender neutral?  it should be, cause that's what our grande dame is all about:  marsha.  Marsha, babe, talk to me!  then there's that trombone guy, the wild wild cat, the wab puppet, oh my, just too many to keep track of.  but to keep us all centered, we have th and john galt.  no, wait a second, they look like punch and judy.  only with big big brains!  And even bigger sticks! this is too freakin intense.  oh no, don't, DON'T.  put that down.  no...  whack whack! 

whackwhack!  whack whack Whack!

WHACK!

Tozz, your message reminds me of that ancient Tao wisdom:

It is better to have a bottle in front of me
Than a frontal lobotomy

Dont talk about my big stick in mixed company. Its tough enough when every supermarket cashier grabs my kid and kisses on him and then wants to ruin my marriage...

wabmester said:
Tozz, your message reminds me of that ancient Tao wisdom:

It is better to have a bottle in front of me
Than a frontal lobotomy

OK, could be a CHP. But it is  good CHP.

I'm glad to see that I am not the only reader who finds all the "I'm leaving! No. I'm back! No, wait a minute, now I really am leaving! a bit like the histrionic ravings of a 15 year old girl.

haha

I'm sure there are a hundred studies out there, but the social dynamics of on line communities are quite fascinating. For example, how much more volatile conversations can get, yet how quickly a heated exchange can be forgotten. I mean, I'm sure everyone will protest they would gladly say the things in person to whomever that they say in the comfort of an anonymous message board, but I have yet to meet anyone in person who has. I try to come across exactly as I am in person, although sometimes I re-read my posts and say, "man that was sappy!".

() said:
Gee Mikey, never realized what an expert you are on 15 year old girls... :D

Cool! This metadiscussion about bitch slapping is turning into a bitch slap!

Laurence said:
I'm sure there are a hundred studies out there, but the social dynamics of on line communities are quite fascinating. For example, how much more volatile conversations can get, yet how quickly a heated exchange can be forgotten. I mean, I'm sure everyone will protest they would gladly say the things in person to whomever that they say in the comfort of an anonymous message board, but I have yet to meet anyone in person who has. I try to come across exactly as I am in person, although sometimes I re-read my posts and say, "man that was sappy!".

Laurence, do you really say "dude" in real life? I never hear anyone really say that. Or "awesome" for that matter. Do hear "you suck" on occassion though. (no, not directed at me :))

Martha....you hang out in the wrong crowds if you don't hear that lingo.

Teen age boys really say Dude and awesome.....though Laurence is older than that....must be a carry over from his younger days ;)

(sigh) sadly, I do say, "dude!" and "awesome"...I also say "oh, snap!" and "fo' shizzle my nizzle!" but I've avoided using that phrase here, I'm actually a pretty animated person, and have a tendancy to monopolize conversations, though people say they don't mind since they find my antics amusing....yes, and I get an occasional blank stare at work. ;)

Far be it for me to deny anyone the exquisite joy of beating up on themself, but "heartfelt" or "earnest" or "sincere" etc, etc, etc might convey the same thing without a vaguely negative connotation.

Laurence said:
"man that was sappy!"

Ya, I'm usually the butt of my own jokes in person, too. People get really stressed here, and I don't want to offend anyone during my attempt to introduce some levity into the room. But earnest, yes, that word fits me well. :)

Martha said:
Translation please, I don't have my English to Dude dictionary. :p

oh, snap! is just oh sh**, like, "oh, snap! you got played!" and well , the other, now that I think about it, probably should be said by white bread like me, but the beginning is "For sure...".

Normally I speak mid-atlantic english at work, very proper. It's just when I get excited, like when we got our 60 terabyte array in that I get excited and fall back to my college lingo. It's even pretty dated, I probably sound to teenagers like I'm saying, "whoa, gnarly dude!" or "that's groovy!" :p

Number 7 had me rollin'!*

*Suge Knight founded Death Row records, which at one time recorded artists like 2pac, Snoop Dog, and other pioneers of the genre. He is persistently hounded with unsubstantiated rumors of nefarious acts like holding Vanilla Ice out a ten story window until he agreed to sign all his residuals over. He clocks in at about 6' 4" 300lbs. :)

Back
Top Bottom