Is your phone the safest place to store...

Rianne

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I understand it is next to impossible to unlock an iphone without the password. I use the fingerprint access password. When traveling, I'd like to keep CC numbers, DL number and some other secure numbers in case my wallet is stolen to call and alert the agencies.

Am I safe to put all this info in my phone notes? I have mobile Lastpass, but the full CC number does not show. I've not lost a CC in ages or had to report a stolen DL. I used to make copies of the front and back of everything in our wallet, but that's outdated and someone could steal the copy and have everything.

Some suggestions?

You don't need the credit card number to report it stolen. Just the phone number or website login credentials. However, yes I would say the phone is safer than a piece of paper.

Maybe Jeff Bezos can chime in here with his opinion on iphone security. :LOL:

Suggestion for the smartphone. I keep a little piece of paper in between back of phone and protector w name and address, landline in case I lose it. Otherwise no one will be able to return it. I lost it once and it was returned 6 weeks later, after I replaced it, and someone got it to Apple who was able to at least ID it.

I store all sorts of notes, including credit card info, in Keepass. I assume Lastpass and other password apps would have a way to enter just about anything.

I store all sorts of notes, including credit card info, in Keepass. I assume Lastpass and other password apps would have a way to enter just about anything.

+1

I use the Android version of PasswordSafe on my phone. In one of my entries, I use the notes section to store all sorts of misc information, like CC, DL, SS, DOB, Passport#, etc for DW, myself, and I even have certain info for our kids, grandkids, and people we travel with where I frequently book travel and need their full names, DOB, Passport#, etc.

Contents of phones/laptops can be legally downloaded by DHS/CBP when you reenter the US.
Aside from boarder crossings, PINs and passwords do not have to be divulged to law enforcement, but there is no protection for fingerprint access to devices.

Ignoring the above, rather than be dependent on and risk losing the phone, storing the info in an encrypted file online would allow you to access the info from any device you care to access it with, including your phone.

Suggestion for the smartphone. I keep a little piece of paper in between back of phone and protector w name and address, landline in case I lose it. Otherwise no one will be able to return it. I lost it once and it was returned 6 weeks later, after I replaced it, and someone got it to Apple who was able to at least ID it.

Same idea:

I put a photo on my phone as the background that is seen before logging onto it, and the photo has my phone number with reward offer if found.

Better yet... put your contact info on your lockout screen so if someone finds it they'll know how to contact you (and don't use your cellphone number :facepalm: :D).

https://www.komando.com/tech-tips/t...lp-you-recover-your-lost-phone-faster/417971/

When I was w*rking our IT dept did this with all of our cellphones. I lost mine while skiing in Colorado. Six months later my IT dept call me to report that a hiker had found it, charged it up, powered it on and called the IT 800 number. I called the guy and he mailed it to me and I mailed him back a $100 gift card in appreciation. I put my older Blackberry that I had shifted to when I lost the phone back into the backup rotation used the newer Blackberry phone that was found for another 18 months before replaced it. Even after about 6 months out in the elements everything worked fine... but the speakerphone was a little tinny on max volume.

Last edited:
I understand it is next to impossible to unlock an iphone without the password. I use the fingerprint access password.

This is true. I remember reading an article about how extraordinarily difficult it would be for anyone (including law enforcement and security professionals) to crack an iPhone that had been secured with a strong password. Note that "strong" means a long, alphanumeric password... not the more widely used four-digit PIN.

Am I safe to put all this info in my phone notes?

Yes. The latest version of iOS gives you the ability to lock the built-in Notes app, so that even if your phone is unlocked, you'd have to enter the password (or use your fingerprint) again to open the app and view the notes. I would consider this a safe way to store sensitive info, but probably not the very best way.

https://support.apple.com/guide/iphone/lock-notes-iphf177bb154/ios

I have mobile Lastpass, but the full CC number does not show.

Some suggestions?

I'm not a Lastpass user, but I understand it provides a "secure notes" feature that would allow you to type in whatever text you want (CC number, etc) and then access that info securely within the Lastpass app or website from any of your devices. This is what I would consider the very best solution for you.

https://www.howtogeek.com/392417/how-to-use-lastpass-for-more-than-just-managing-passwords/

Interesting thing to share... my new Android phone uses my face rather than a fingerprint to unlock... so when I pick up the phone alook at the scree it (usually) recognizes me and unlocks... every so often it requires that I input my unlock PIN.

I think that is a pretty cool feature.

I understand it is next to impossible to unlock an iphone without the password. I use the fingerprint access password. When traveling, I'd like to keep CC numbers, DL number and some other secure numbers in case my wallet is stolen to call and alert the agencies.

Am I safe to put all this info in my phone notes? I have mobile Lastpass, but the full CC number does not show. I've not lost a CC in ages or had to report a stolen DL. I used to make copies of the front and back of everything in our wallet, but that's outdated and someone could steal the copy and have everything.

Some suggestions?

Using Lastpass there are two ways I can think of to enter extra info. My preference is to use the Secure Notes section. When we go on trips out of the country I have this info on my computer (or flash drive) in an Excel (or text) file that I print out. Then I take a picture of it in Secure Notes. Or you can just enter it in the Secure Notes section from your phone.

The second way is to use the Notes section in any given Lastpass item.

Using Lastpass there are two ways I can think of to enter extra info. My preference is to use the Secure Notes section. When we go on trips out of the country I have this info on my computer (or flash drive) in an Excel (or text) file that I print out. Then I take a picture of it in Secure Notes. Or you can just enter it in the Secure Notes section from your phone.

The second way is to use the Notes section in any given Lastpass item.
Right! I take a picture of all the info. What was I thinking :)?

Back
Top Bottom