LBYM: do we have to do without then?

I never feel comfortable in restaurants. I don't like being served (serviced, on the other hand...>:D), so I guess that rules out going to most restaurants. Chinese buffetts rock though.
I don't mind being served, as long as the service is good. Be careful of those Chinese buffets, though - - a bad one can cause food poisoning.

In our area, Chinese buffet restaurants have the lowest health insurance scores - by far. I'm a big fan of Chinese food but I do not dine at these establishments.

It did take a while for me to get my head wrapped around the concept since growing up we almost never went to restaurants. Normally we didn't have the money, so it seemed a waste to me. I'll admit I only do it because it makes her smile, if I was by myself I wouldn't bother.

But you don't go for the food. You go for the experience and not having to lift a finger.

I go for the food! Everything else is secondary to me. There is nothing like a good seafood gumbo, shrimp creole, tomato basil chicken, or classic sherry turtle soup prepared by a top notch chef. We eat out on the weekends and I spend all week eating "virtuous" food so that I can do it again the next weekend.

I started with lunch at high end restaurants and worked into dinner . I was married at 24 and you ?

FWIW, I married at 23 and we'd dated from the time I was just shy of 18. So, I don't and haven't eaten by myself much at all. When I took a trip to NZ in 2002 to see some friends living there and do some sightseeing and DH couldn't get the time off to go, it took some dogged determination not to feel like an old maid when I ate. I was distinctly uncomfortable traveling alone, I'll confess. It was still a great trip, but it made me realize how much more I enjoy traveling with DH. I understand your viewpoint completely--and I think that widowhood would be a devastating blow for me.
Sarah

But you don't go for the food. You go for the experience and not having to lift a finger.
See generally Paul Fussell, Class: A Guide Through the American Status System (1983), pp. 104-107.

LADIES: We are far outnumbered on this board compared to the men. Puh-lease, let us stick together and not fight amongst ourselves. We gotta make these men see some solidarity among the gals here, so when the men argue among themselves we have a reason to snicker and mumble things like "brutes!" and "uncivilized!"
And you both are wonderful in different ways!;)

"Real Simple" makes my teeth grate! The correct phrase is really simple. :rant:

LADIES: We are far outnumbered on this board compared to the men. Puh-lease, let us stick together and not fight amongst ourselves. /quote]

That was not fighting . I was just making a statement about a uncalled for comment . Sorry Orchid Flower but the New Jersey in me could not let that pass .

LADIES: We are far outnumbered on this board compared to the men. Puh-lease, let us stick together and not fight amongst ourselves. We gotta make these men see some solidarity among the gals here, so when the men argue among themselves we have a reason to snicker and mumble things like "brutes!" and "uncivilized!"
But enough about that. We menfolk just want to know: what's for dinner? :2funny:

But enough about that. We menfolk just want to know: what's for dinner? :2funny:

We're going to mexacali border cafe with a few friends so the kitchen is closed tonight but will reopen tomorrow with stir fry beef and brocolli .

Ziggy29: Dinner is whatever YOUR buying tonight...dear. And we ladies will allow you to take us to any nice restaurant of your choosing...for a change. (Like that one?)

Moemg: The Chicago comes out in me and I realllly try to curb it, but often am fighting a losing battle on that one...ha! Somebody challenges me--when I am sure I'm right only--and I charge like the Schlitz Malt Liquor Bull. I really work on that quality all the time, tho...sigh. We is what we is, I guess. (But I did really well selling to the masses...cough)

Ziggy29: HA! This is a trick question 'cause you never ask for directions. Can't fool me with that one.

See generally Paul Fussell, Class: A Guide Through the American Status System (1983), pp. 104-107.

Yo, Milton, Fussell is one of fave writers ever. I’ve said this before here, I’m mentally stuck in the ‘80. His Class is a great book. Still have my copy, wonder how it would look as part of a parody display on my now-old (non-flat) TV.;)

Yes, Fussell is very good. And his "parody display" is a great excuse for questionable decors!

The Kink's classic song Low Budget goes back almost 30 years, but nevertheless gets my vote for the theme-song of 2008:

Cheap is small, and not too steep
But best of all, cheap is cheap
Circumstance has forced my hand
To be a cut price person in a low budget land
Times are hard, but we'll all survive
I just got to learn to economize

Excuse my shoes, they don’t quite fit
They’re a special offer, and they hurt me a bit
Even my trousers are giving me pain
They were reduced in a sale, so I shouldn't complain
They squeeze me so tight, so I can’t take no more
They're size 28, but I take 34

I’m shopping at Woolworth and low discount stores
I’m dropping my standards so that I can buy more
Quality costs, but quality wastes,
So I’m giving up all of my expensive tastes.
Caviar and champagne are definite nos,
I’m acquiring a taste for brown ale and cod roes

Low budget, sure keeps me on my toes
I count every penny, and I watch where it goes
We’re all on our uppers, we’re all going skint
I used to smoke cigars but now I suck polo mints

Art takes time, time is money
Money’s scarce and that ain’t funny
Millionaires are things of the past
We’re in a low budget film where nothing can last
Money’s rare, there’s none to be found
So don’t think I’m tight if I don’t buy a round

I look like a tramp, but don’t write me off,
I’ll have you all know, I was once a tough
At least my hair is all mine, my teeth are my own,
But everything else is on permanent loan.
Once all my clothes were made by hand
Now I’m a cut price person in a low budget land

As long as your spending is in line with your values and you are still saving enough for retirement, go for it. I'm going to pay to get my car detailed, I'm not going to wash out and reuse sandwich bags, ...

One way I handle the "living waaaaaaaaaay below your means" issue is to have a line item in my budget called contingencies. If my car needs a new battery, its cost comes out of contingencies. If I haven't spent any contingencies money recently and I see "something silly" I want to buy, I just buy it and don't agonize over the decision (but I don't make these impulse purchasing decisions very often).

Most of my non-essential purchases involve books. If I can spend $25 for a good book on investing and personal finance and the ideas in that book can make or save me thousands of dollars, I consider the purchase to have a great ROI. And besides, I enjoy reading and being exposed to new ideas and concepts even if they don't end up having an ROI.

"Real Simple" makes my teeth grate! The correct phrase is really simple. :rant:

:D:D:D

Super simple?

Super simple me: the opposite of "super size me"?

Is that the magazine filled with ads for stuff from The Container Store to make your life more organized? Useless, IMO.

Here's another one: I cringe at IMHO. I know it's an attempt to be very polite but how can an opinion be humble?

:D:D:D

Here's another one: I cringe at IMHO. I know it's an attempt to be very polite but how can an opinion be humble?
This sort of obfuscation falls under the heading of obsequiousness. :)

It is necessary for internet boards.

Kind of like, IMHO, F-U!

Ha

...We get conned into thinikng that life is continuous, or even cyclical. It isn't. It has huge discontinuities, and as we age most of them are negative.

Ha

Wow, that's one of the most sagacious things I've heard in a long time. So true, and well put.

In our area, Chinese buffet restaurants have the lowest health insurance scores - by far. I'm a big fan of Chinese food but I do not dine at these establishments.

Same thing here - the health dept. publishes the results of inspections online and the Chinese/Oriental restaurants consistently have the lowest scores.

I go for the food! Everything else is secondary to me. There is nothing like a good seafood gumbo, shrimp creole, tomato basil chicken, or classic sherry turtle soup prepared by a top notch chef. We eat out on the weekends and I spend all week eating "virtuous" food so that I can do it again the next weekend.

I understand the "virtuous" food - I'd allow myself one day of "dietary decadence" per month and that seemed to work for me. Two McDonald's fish sandwiches or double cheeseburgers, large fries, milkshake. You can hear your arteries hardening. Having to stay gluten-free took even that away.:(

For myself, I'd prefer a good salmon steak done on the grill on the deck out back over a restaurant meal, but that's just me.

Back
Top Bottom