Magic mushrooms are magic

My grand view is legalize all drugs, regulate them, and tax them, and use the taxes to fund substance abuse. It couldn't possibly be worse than what we have now. Think anybody would be doing drive by shootings to wipe out the competition if being a drug dealer if it meant working at Rite-Aid for minimum wage instead of making $1,000 on the corner? No way. Envorce DUIs, minimum ages, and quit throwing cancer patients with a joint in their pocket in jail.

Laurence said:
My grand view is legalize all drugs, regulate them, and tax them, and use the taxes to fund substance abuse.

I like your idea. Where do I sign up to have my substance abuse funded by taxes? ;)

My belief is that it is organized crime that insures that drugs remain illegal. That is the only way they stay tremendously profitable. The ocassional bust of someone above the street dealer level is just a cost of doing business. Those who profit from illegal drugs form a very powerful lobby to keep them illegal. I am for legalizing and regulating (and taxing) all drugs.

Grumpy

grumpy said:
My belief is that it is organized crime that insures that drugs remain illegal.  That is the only way they stay tremendously profitable.  The ocassional bust of someone above the street dealer level is just a cost of doing business.  Those who profit from illegal drugs form a very powerful lobby to keep them illegal.  I am for legalizing and regulating (and taxing) all drugs.

Grumpy

So true. Last night I watched the Bogart movie Key Largo. The gangsters were all talking about how they were going to get prohibition brought back, since the economic base of the mob was falling out from under them.

Luckily for them, illegal drugs were just around the corner!  :)

Ha

SteveR said:
That said, I would rather deal with the approaching death while allowing my family member to avoid as much of the reality of their approaching death as they could while still maintaining their grasp of reality.  A line line for sure but were I the one on the death bed I think I would rather be dreaming than crying.

the crying doesn't last forever. you cry. you contemplate. and then you might even have yourself a good laugh.

my view is that western society is all too good at sticking its head in the sand, especially concerning death. my suspicion is that facing & contemplating death might benefit our vision & participation in life.

i feel our western view of death is perverted. we think death is some punishment and so the ultimate wrath is capital. we think death is so horrible that we are willing to endure untold suffering and prolong an agonizing process of dieing just to avoid the inevitable end.

so to someone who has been bad we say put to death (as if it will become someone else's problem, not our own with which to deal), yet someone good, like my mother who has been only lovely, we insist on providing the best care money will buy so that her dieing lasts as long as possible.

this is insane. but we can't see it, because we desparately want to protect our loved ones from the specter of death.

"it is not considered morbid to contemplate it, but rather liberating from fear..." the dalai lama in his foreword to the tibetan book of the dead, robert a.f. thurman translation

"life is a disease with a bad prognosis because its outcome is always fatal." ~~ c.g. jung from his psychological commentary on the tibetan book of the dead, w.y. evans-wentz translation

[unhijack]i suggest if you study this subject, do not ingest mushrooms beforehand. [/unhijack]

Overall there is a smell of fried onions.

cube_rat said:
Everything is funny.

In a college town, there was a travel agent called "Trips, Inc." Amusing of a Saturday night to watch and see who immediately broke down into uncontrollable laughter upon spotting the sign. Bon voyage.

lazygood4nothinbum said:
the crying doesn't last forever. my view is that western society is all too good at sticking its head in the sand, especially concerning death.

Guess I've had more than my share of being next to death and dying.

Worst and best was when my mom died, just us in the hospital room at the time. Two days before I knew the inevitable outcome. It was one of those situations where I needed to decide when to stop the ventilator. With no doubt that ending it was the best thing to do for her, Plan A was to instruct the nurses as planned after I left the room to handle my grief. Plan B was to "gut it out" and stay in the room so that she, for all purposes completely unconscious, wouldn't die alone.

I opted for Plan B. It was a quiet and profound moment or two and suddenly I realized, after decades of ushering hundreds of patients to their final moments, that death was not so much an active event, as it was a quiet cessation of a myriad of other events, perceptions, expectations.

I left this passage completely at ease, if grief-stricken. It was much easier than I had anticipated, and I believe would have been much harder and prolonged had I left the room for those few minutes. I learned much. John Donne said it best: Death Be Not Proud. For me, death is something to confront quietly and head on, unimpaired. Life is what there is to be proud of.

And, oh -- I'd pass on the shrooms. :)

I had one bad experiment and it showed me to never ever do something like that again in my life on this brown,blue beautifull earth. Thanks for sharing Rich really difficult circumstance to go through that.

I am a pharmacist. I am not sure I would want to have to deal with dispensing any more recreational drugs.
I do think its funny that people make such a big deal about some drugs and yet things like valium are so heavily prescribed.

Oh and people in hospice are heavily medicated. Its still terrible to see them wasting away.

What do you guys thing of Kevokian going for parole ?

spideyrdpd said:
What do you guys thing of Kevokian going for parole ?

I always thought that they should give him a medal, not put him in jail.

Grumpy

If people wanted a way like that to die. Who am I to judge? I cant imagine the pain they were going through to want to die.

brewer12345 said:
What's it like? I assume no "high" as with alcohol/pot? Do you hallucinate (see things that aren't there)? Is perception altered in some way?

It's not a 'high' per se, but a euphoric experience. Extreme happiness, nothing matters, .

The laughing is SO intense for me, that when the trip is over, i felt like i got run over by a mack truck...very sluggish, eyes sore (from crying and laughing), not any energy. That used to take 2 days to go away.

I grew my own, very simple, and VERY potent. I tripped maybe 4 times while I grew them, because each 'trip' would be enough for a few months...

I did have some 'revelations', some trips with friends were very meaningful...we connected, and still aRE connected on a different level.

No hallucinations either, just lots of squggly lines...blurred viion etc. Driving would be a no-no. One time, my friend and i LOOKED for my keys for 2 hours tripping. We tore my house APART, moved couches tables, bookshelves etc. We finally wound down, and i couldnt find the keys to take him home, so my GF took him there. Woke upin the A.M. and the keys were on one of the tables we had moved (coffee table)...my GF swears they were there the whole time.

Another tiem,a neighbor in an apartment next door came by to 'hang out', little did he know my friend and i were tripping. I literally crawled, laughing hysterically to the door, cracked it open, and advised he leave and come back later (through the tears/laughter)...he never had tripped or anything, and his recant of the story is TOO funny.

I opted for Plan B.
good move ... not only the right thing, but you otherwise would likely have regretted it for many years

http://www.economist.com/world/africa/displaystory.cfm?story_id=7174096

ONCE you leave the tarmac road, the hillside hamlet of Mechkralla can be reached only after an arduous three-hour trek up a mule track, itself partly paid for by the European Union to encourage tourism in Morocco's northern mountain range, the Rif. Almost as soon as the main roads and towns are out of sight, the wild, rocky landscape turns into a patchwork of verdant cannabis fields interspersed with golden wheat and hot-pink oleander bushes.

According to the United Nations, the region exports 1,000 tonnes a year, providing 80% of European hash-smokers' needs, and nearly one-third of the world's.

A liberal weekly, Tel Quel, published in French in Casablanca, is campaigning to legalise hash. Its editor, Ahmed Ben Chemsi, calculates from official figures on the sale of loose tobacco and rolling paper that Moroccans, who number 33m, smoke a good 1.1 billion joints a year—ie, about 60 joints a year for every adult. Legalising it, he says, would fill state coffers, bring tourists to the neglected region and reduce corruption. “How can it be illegal when so many people do it?” he says. “You can't criminalise such a large part of society.”

O0

Back
Top Bottom