More on the Tesla electric car

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it is just the opposite. I think many people (most? I don't know) think that EVs will develop along the lines of computers, but that is not the case. As we've discussed, motors and batteries are already ~ 90% efficient - there just isn't much meaningful improvement available there. Yes, they can be made smaller, lighter and cheaper - but they have a long way to go to reach an ICE or ICE/hybrid value for a more median buyer. ICE/Hybrid technology is not standing still either.

It seems we are roughly doubling the wh/kg every 8 years (although it seems to be going faster recently, more like 5 years). Not great, but gasoline has a fixed energy density (around 32 MJ/L), so batteries will eventually catch up in that dimension. Might take a while though, Li-Ion batteries currently are 2.5 MJ/L, that's a ~10x difference (or ~5x if you take the higher efficiency into account of electric).

Cost-wise same thing, there is an ongoing trend to cheaper batteries. Halving every 5 years or so seems about right.

So, all in all this means that by 2024 we'll have likely a battery widely available weighing the same as the ones now, only it goes twice the distance and costs half as much.

Not quite the pace we're used to with computers, but still amazing in my book.

But you are right: barring a short-term major breakthrough small, cheap compact cars will be self-driving before they become fully electric ;)

The high-end gas-using heavy cars though will quickly meet their demise from 2020 onwards at this rate.

Sources:
Energy density - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://images.thecarconnection.com/...atteries-duke-university-2009_100424516_l.jpg
http://onclimatechangepolicydotorg.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/battery-cost-and-density.jpg

So many points good points!

ERD, I m the furthest thing from mechanically inclined. My comment about not being aware of a company increasing both efficiency and performance was a general look at offerings on the market. If you want more performance, you get a V-8 instead of a V-6, but efficiency goes down. More efficiency, generally means engine size goes down, meaning performance suffers.
If you get an AWD version of a vehicle it may gain some performance, but tends to loose efficiency. Not so for electric.

Please forgive my ignorance of the technologies you mentioned, I'll take your word for it.

Costs: I use a 3miles/kWh for consumption, 6¢/kWh for my TOU costs. That gives me 50 kWh for $3.
Subtract 10% for charging losses to get 45kWh.
Multiply by 3 to get 135 miles for $3.

Next year our TOU overnight rate should be under 3¢, doubling our "mpg"

So many points good points!

... My comment about not being aware of a company increasing both efficiency and performance was a general look at offerings on the market. If you want more performance, you get a V-8 instead of a V-6, but efficiency goes down. ...

Right - but in those cases you are mostly looking at just 'bigger' for more performance, not a real technology change to improve efficiency, which as I said, can be applied to mpg, performance, or a blend of the two.

All the things I listed, and many more are technology advancements. And I think we can call the dual-motor change by Tesla as a technological advancement, they are now making better use of regen. Or, another view would be that Tesla had a sub-optimal design, and just fixed it - which is probably more accurate, since it seems the majority of EV/hybrids that can use regen are already front-wheel drive.

Costs: I use a 3miles/kWh for consumption, 6¢/kWh for my TOU costs. That gives me 50 kWh for $3.
Subtract 10% for charging losses to get 45kWh.
Multiply by 3 to get 135 miles for $3.

Next year our TOU overnight rate should be under 3¢, doubling our "mpg"

Thanks, those are pretty low kWh rates. Yes, the previous 38 "mpg" numbers seem way out of line. Just goes to show, heh-heh, if you want economy you have to pay for it! ;)

... So, all in all this means that by 2024 we'll have likely a battery widely available weighing the same as the ones now, only it goes twice the distance and costs half as much. ...

Some of these may also be hitting diminishing returns? I tried doing some searching, too much stuff to sort through to find meaningful projections so far, I'll try again later.

As I've said earlier, if they could just increase the max instantaneous discharge rates faster than the other specs, that could be a big plus for hybrids and plug-in hybrids. Take the Chevy Volt, with ~ 40 mile range. If you doubled what you could draw short term (like for acceleration) from those batteries (all else being equal), you could remove half the batteries, and therefore lower the cost significantly, and gain some space. The electric-only range would be cut almost in half (batteries would be half the weight, so that helps range a bit), but that's not really a big deal with a 'range extended' hybrid. You'd still get the first 20 miles of all trips at the cheaper kWh 'fuel' rate, which is a significant % for many people.

That's why I think hybrids will be the dominant technology going forward for the next 15 years or more, I just don't think pure EVs are going to compete. As I said, ICE/hybrids aren't standing still, the ICE is inefficient enough that new materials and techniques might ring out considerable efficiency improvements, which is not the case with electric motors and batteries (being+90% already). There's also the potential for small turbines to replace the ICE - new materials are making these more competitive. Or some new development?

-ERD50

That's why I think hybrids will be the dominant technology going forward for the next 15 years or more, I just don't think pure EVs are going to compete.

I tend to agree. I just read a comparison of a number of small, fuel efficient autos that were not hybrids. The top ones got about 36 mpg, not bad. But..... my much larger and heavier mid size hybrid sedan gets about 40 mpg.

I won't even mention the near 50mpg Prius.

Full electric power makes the most sense in bigger, faster, heavier vehicles. That is where one sees the huge improvements in fuel economy when compared to peer vehicles near the same price. Tesla is smart to be in that market rather than trying to compete against a 50mpg $22,000 Prius.

Last edited:
What I'm very glad to see them add is the safety/semi-self drive systems. I didn't get why they didn't have those last year when I was shopping. Evidently, they just hadn't gotten it to work yet.

They are still playing catch up with Mercedes, BMW, and Audi. Each has a slightly different mix of semi-self driving systems. The only slight edge I see with the Tesla is the "engage the turn signal and it changes lanes by itself". My Mercedes makes me engage the turn signal, then actually turn the wheel enough to changes lanes, thereafter it reacquires the lane lines and then takes over again.

They mentioned they'd like it to park itself in the garage. Nice idea, though they either need inductive changing or some sort of self-plugging in system to get it to recharge in the garage. There is a nice video that Audi showed of a stock A6 (i.e. the existing sensor package) with custom software that allowed you to get out of your car and the car would park itself in a parking garage. Later it would come back to pick you up when requested.

I wonder if this stuff will be available on the model X - hope so.

That's why I think hybrids will be the dominant technology going forward for the next 15 years or more, I just don't think pure EVs are going to compete.
-ERD50

We agree on that one, although I'm more optimistic (10 years and bigger cars will switch to electric). Electric has another big advantage: simplicity. Fewer components mean higher reliability, less garage visits, faster engine design. Only thing holding it back therefore really is cost / wh capacity. That's a big reason why Tesla is building the gigafactory.

As I said, ICE/hybrids aren't standing still, the ICE is inefficient enough that new materials and techniques might ring out considerable efficiency improvements, which is not the case with electric motors and batteries (being+90% already). There's also the potential for small turbines to replace the ICE - new materials are making these more competitive. Or some new development?
-ERD50

As far as I know, ICE don't have alot of room left to improve efficiency unfortunately, and have a firm limit around 37% or so. It's inherently inferior to electric engines. I heard experts stating that a 10% increase in mpg is the most you'll get in the future. Talking about cars that are designed today with fuel efficiency in mind. You see most of them in Europe, advertised in the 50 - 60 mpg range.

Ironically, what helps the ICE the most is a decent battery: The ICE runs at an efficient constant rpm so ideally does not drive the wheels directly: it recharges the battery. That's why hybrids shine so much right now: electric for variable loads, ICE for constant loads, gasoline for low weight.

The final tipping point to go full electric is when the added cost of the ICE outweighs the cost for a large enough battery while factoring in fuel use. Not sure what that added cost is though.

Anyway, it depends on battery cost and weight evolving as it has done in the past. No garantuees there.

IMHO, The greatest risk to a Tesla owner is not the batteries, charging time or even cheap, economical hybrids. It is the small but real possibility that the company itself will fail and the owners will end up with a difficult to maintain orphan.

Much of Tesla's profit is reputed to be on the sale of ZEV credits to other auto manufacturers. While that may help finance R&D costs of future cars, at some point the car itself has to turn a profit. Or does it now? I don't know. My guess is that at some point Tesla will acquire a partner with big bucks to finance a big increase in production.

After all, Mr Musk's real goal is to drive a future Tesla on Mars. :) Right?

I know this has been mentioned before, but I will just state it again....

After you get into the 30 to 40 mpg range, getting a bit better is not that much in terms of 'savings'....

As an example.... going from 20mpg to 30mpg is a 67% savings...

Going from 30 to 45 is also a 67% savings... However, the first one saves 200 gallons but the second only 133 gallons... even though you increased mpg by 15...

Going from 50mpg to 100mpg only saves 120 gallons....

All improvements have diminishing returns....

Hybrids versus full EV:
We agree on that one, although I'm more optimistic (10 years and bigger cars will switch to electric). Electric has another big advantage: simplicity. Fewer components mean higher reliability, less garage visits, faster engine design. Only thing holding it back therefore really is cost / wh capacity. That's a big reason why Tesla is building the gigafactory. ...

Simplicity is very compelling. It's one of the reasons that years ago, I really hoped I'd be driving an EV in the near future. But ICEs have made tremendous advances. Back then, you adjusted points, replaced spark plugs annually, 3000 mile / 3 month oil changes, etc. Now, you do 6 month or annual oil changes, some spark plugs are good for 100,000 miles, occasional air filter changes, and a hybrid also reduces brake replacements. Engine related maintenance on most cars today is really pretty minimal.

As far as I know, ICE don't have a lot of room left to improve efficiency unfortunately, and have a firm limit around 37% or so. It's inherently inferior to electric engines. I heard experts stating that a 10% increase in mpg is the most you'll get in the future.

Yes, the Carnot Limit I think is around 37% (googled and found this from MIT : Today’s car engines have efficiencies of 20 percent or less, compared to their Carnot Limit of 37 percent. But that puts them at ~ 54% of theoretical, so there is some room. Plus, there are other ideas for secondary systems to recover that waste heat. And I've read about adding a 5th power cycle to pull energy from the remaining heat, and free-piston engines for series hybrids. And we don't need to limit ourselves, small turbines might be a better source in the future - those are also very low maintenance.

Talking about cars that are designed today with fuel efficiency in mind. You see most of them in Europe, advertised in the 50 - 60 mpg range.

But getting a significant percent of the US fleet up near those levels would be a big improvement for the US. Fuel savings above 50 mpg is diminishing returns (better measured in gallons per 1,000 miles) [edit/add: as Texas Proud also pointed out - I cross posted this].

Ironically, what helps the ICE the most is a decent battery: The ICE runs at an efficient constant rpm so ideally does not drive the wheels directly: it recharges the battery. That's why hybrids shine so much right now: electric for variable loads, ICE for constant loads, gasoline for low weight.

Exactly. Like if we could build a 20 mile plug-in series hybrid as I mentioned earlier.

The final tipping point to go full electric is when the added cost of the ICE outweighs the cost for a large enough battery while factoring in fuel use. Not sure what that added cost is though.

Anyway, it depends on battery cost and weight evolving as it has done in the past. No garantuees there.

Yes, we will see. But it is years out, and then many years before enough are purchased to make up a significant percentage of the fleet (cars last a long time these days). So people who are flag waving for EVs won't see any significant benefits for even longer. As I've pointed out way back in this thread, the environmental benefits of EVs over a current hybrid are marginal at best, and far worse by many other measures (SOx and NOx).

And all the hoopla over lower oil imports - by the time EVs make up 10% of total annual miles (long distance cars and trucks aren't going EV as quickly, if ever), increased efficiency of the other 90% of the miles driven will swamp that out.

IMHO, The greatest risk to a Tesla owner is not the batteries, charging time or even cheap, economical hybrids. It is the small but real possibility that the company itself will fail and the owners will end up with a difficult to maintain orphan.

Much of Tesla's profit is reputed to be on the sale of ZEV credits to other auto manufacturers. While that may help finance R&D costs of future cars, at some point the car itself has to turn a profit. Or does it now? I don't know. My guess is that at some point Tesla will acquire a partner with big bucks to finance a big increase in production.

After all, Mr Musk's real goal is to drive a future Tesla on Mars. :) Right?

I have also read that much of their revenue comes from these credits from other manufacturers. I don't know enough about their financials to say what happens as those phase out. Clearly, Elon Musk is a brilliant and pragmatic guy with a track record - I'm guessing he has plan, and selling it off could be it. Hey, then he could get that Hyperloop started!

I do expect Tesla to have a 'trickle down' effect for all of us. He has taken some innovate approaches that the old more stagnant car companies just couldn't seem to pull off. But they will copy him.

-ERD50

Last edited:
Also reduce CO2 and other emissions for more gas efficient cars.

To go 100 miles at 20 MPG = 5 gal
To go 100 miles at 30 MPG = 3.33 gal

savings = 1.66/5 = 33% . Right?

Opps... got my math backwards... should have said uses 67%...

Me too.

Exactly. That corvette would be cruising along with half a tank of gas after 300 miles while the tesla is looking for a place to recharge.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Who cares about 300 miles on the highway.... lets do a track day and see which one comes out ahead....

I would like to see how the tesla would do on a road course track. It seems like it has a good front/back weight ratio that should make it a great handling car. My guess is that the corvette would easily outperform a tesla on a road course

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Ouch!
Based on cost, I am getting around 135mpg. We are moving within a year and that will change to about 270mpg.

If they haven't already, I would suggest to your friend to check to see if their utility has an off peak or time of use billing rate.

Although 38mpg isn't bad I suppose. Much better than average.

You must be headed to a place with really cheap electric. And it shows how one needs to know their cost of electric power. In my Ford Focus Electric car in 12,268 miles I have averaged 239.1 watts per mile. I have a cheap TOU meter and am charged 8 cents per KWH (plus a standard fixed fee of $20 per mo, paid by all customers). I figure quite accurately that I get 110 MPGe when charging at the lowest rate. When I have to use commercial chargers it can go as low as 60MPGe. I can see the Tesla doing 135 MPGe as it would have a very efficient charging system, less parasitic losses. But 270 MPGe would have to be cheaper electric than I have encountered.

The new Tesla D is truly amazing car.

Here is Motor Trends test drive.
In the options selection, you'll be able to choose [between] three settings: Normal. Sport. And Insane." Elon Musk glanced around and grinned. More on Motortrend.com:
Tesla D is a Dual-Motor, All-Wheel-Drive Model S
"Yeah, it will actually say 'In-sane.'"

Musk chortled, along with the 2,000-strong crowd eating out of the palm of his hand. Although Wall Street analysts were soured by his Los Angeles presentation of the Dual Motor Tesla Model S P85D and the mysteriously tweeted "something else" (Musk's personal wealth dropped $500 million by the next morning), all we can say is that the Wall Street suits haven't ridden in the Model S P85D. And best they don't if they want to keep their Brooks Brothers slacks dry, because we've just tested it, and as insane goes, it makes Charlie Manson look like Charlie Rose.
At 0-60 in 3.1 seconds it's as fast a McLaren F1

Even more impressive is comes with an impressive autodrive mode, which allows the car to drive and park itself. Although I still have fun driving with my pathetic bare bones S40, so why you would let a computer drive an even more awesome car I am not sure.

A nice video of how it works is here.

Today I got to use the integrated calendar on the Tesla for the first time. I get in the car and the display says you have a meeting at 10:30 at Ka Uka. Pretty handy if you had forgotten. But certainly by next year you can tap the link and the car will drive you to your destination, in total hands freemode. To be honest the big screen and the web available are a significant distraction in heavy traffice, so I'd love the option to say. Ok car you drive I'm go read the ER board, check my stocks etc..

Tesla stock is insanely expensive, but when they make normally frugal guys like me, think about trading my really nice 15 month old car for this years model, maybe not so crazy/

My favorite line was "...you're not so much accelerating as you are pneumatically sucked into the future.".

As for the calander, if an address is listed for the appointment it will show in the car as a link. Click the link and it is loaded into your navigation:)

I think oil can go to $15 a barrel and Tesla owners will still be wearing their watermelon smiles.

I think oil can go to $15 a barrel and Tesla owners will still be wearing their watermelon smiles.

Pretty much. I used between 300-400 gallons/year in Hawaii and even in California less than 600 gallons. So honestly the difference between $3 and $4 gallon isn't that big a deal. Its nice rationalization for buying the car and probably really fairly important if you drive say 20,000 miles.

But its the sheer convenience of never having to go to a gas station, that is one of the big appeals. Along with the sheer pleasure of driving the car and the unexpected pleasures of getting into your car and finding new features that make it a better vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom