Musicians you never saw in concert

My music bucket list getting some action this summer.

Saw Bob Seger on his final tour.

Dido this Friday

Jeff Lynne's ELO in July

Randy Bachman in August

We seen many of the R&R musicians and I have played many of the cover tunes . I think because I am a musician I have learned to appreciate all types of music . I know people will turn their noses to these people but . Next July we will pay the price to see this orchestra . These people are so talented it is like it is unfair . And to put this together you must be a music god. Andre Rieu does this parade before every show in his home town . When his show ends he has a group of bagpipes that enter the coliseum . Incredible .

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/...=812c163acaeb4d1b3c11d177d096f3d6&action=view

Last edited:
Who's wackier, Neil or the folks who paid $300 a ticket to see him?

This reminds me of a John Prine show I attended maybe 18 months ago. I'm a longtime fan, used to see him and Steve Goodman at Summerfest in Milwaukee for the price of gate admission in the 1970s. Both of them were wonderful musicians and songwriters.

So a friend said he wanted to see John on a recent tour, and DW and I agreed to join him. Balcony tickets obtained, and we learned they were $80 a pop (the cheap seats). John, sad to say, looked like h3ll. He had had throat cancer, so his voice is a croak. BTW, the place was sold out.

After the show, we concluded that at least we were funding his retirement accounts, and we'd probably never have a chance to see him again. Well, he made another stop in the area maybe nine months ago, and he just performed again in Madison last month.

I kind of regret seeing John in his diminished state. I'd much rather have retained the image of a long-haired guy with a soul patch singing about his grandpa the carpenter and the illegal smile.

None. I have never been to a concert. Nor do I plan to be. Too peopoly in those places.

This reminds me of a John Prine show I attended maybe 18 months ago. I'm a longtime fan, used to see him and Steve Goodman at Summerfest in Milwaukee for the price of gate admission in the 1970s. Both of them were wonderful musicians and songwriters.

So a friend said he wanted to see John on a recent tour, and DW and I agreed to join him. Balcony tickets obtained, and we learned they were $80 a pop (the cheap seats). John, sad to say, looked like h3ll. He had had throat cancer, so his voice is a croak. BTW, the place was sold out.

After the show, we concluded that at least we were funding his retirement accounts, and we'd probably never have a chance to see him again. Well, he made another stop in the area maybe nine months ago, and he just performed again in Madison last month.

I kind of regret seeing John in his diminished state. I'd much rather have retained the image of a long-haired guy with a soul patch singing about his grandpa the carpenter and the illegal smile.

Yea, I think I'd rather have the memories, my records, and youtube videos. And his songs are pretty simple chords, I entertain myself with my own renditions (the best rendition you'll never hear hah-hah!) of "Angel from Montgomery" and a few others. DW was asking about seeing him, as I did talk about some of his songs recently. I said I just don't think so.

But we did see Bonnie Koloc about 2-3 years ago, and she was fantastic. I don't think her voice has diminished a bit, and that's saying a lot as she sang (sings) like an angel. DW had never seen her before, and she just loved it.

-ERD50

Yea, I think I'd rather have the memories, my records, and youtube videos. And his songs are pretty simple chords, I entertain myself with my own renditions (the best rendition you'll never hear hah-hah!) of "Angel from Montgomery" and a few others. DW was asking about seeing him, as I did talk about some of his songs recently. I said I just don't think so.

But we did see Bonnie Koloc about 2-3 years ago, and she was fantastic. I don't think her voice has diminished a bit, and that's saying a lot as she sang (sings) like an angel. DW had never seen her before, and she just loved it.

-ERD50

There are some grayheads I'll still pay money to see, like Nick Lowe. He can pull tunes out of the nostalgia bag ("I Knew the Bride When She Used to Rock and Roll," "What's So Funny about Peace, Love and Understanding") but he's still cranking out some great fresh stuff, like this number (featuring abrasive comic Marc Maron):

I read this post an hour before going to see John Prine last night. Got me nervous.
While his voice isn't what it was it was still strong last night. John played a 2 hour show with about a 5 minute break. The band was extremely well rehearsed and very good. The young lady who opened for him was brought out to sing with the band for a couple songs and a duet.
The new album shows he can still write.

I read this post an hour before going to see John Prine last night. Got me nervous.
While his voice isn't what it was it was still strong last night. John played a 2 hour show with about a 5 minute break. The band was extremely well rehearsed and very good. The young lady who opened for him was brought out to sing with the band for a couple songs and a duet.
The new album shows he can still write.

I'm glad our comments didn't dissuade you! Yes, the band is excellent, and Prine does still put on a great show. It's just a little tough for some us who knew him as he was.

I saw an interview recently of some of his band members. It's impressive that some of these guys are so young, yet have so much appreciation/respect for John Prine, who got his start before they were born.

-ERD50

I'm glad our comments didn't dissuade you! Yes, the band is excellent, and Prine does still put on a great show. It's just a little tough for some us who knew him as he was.

I saw an interview recently of some of his band members. It's impressive that some of these guys are so young, yet have so much appreciation/respect for John Prine, who got his start before they were born.

-ERD50

Agreed. To be fair, I enjoyed a recent concert by Terry Reid, and Terry looked like h3ll too.

Don't ask me if I've looked in a mirror lately.

Back
Top Bottom