Musicians you never saw in concert

No Interest Now, But ...

Saw many acts back in the 70s, the golden era of rock. My biggest regret was being too wasted at the huge Watkins Glen concert in 1973 to remember, especially since the three acts were some of the greatest performers ever - Allman Bros, the Grateful Dead, and the Band. Saw the Dead other times when I was in a normal state, but never saw the Allmans or the Band again, to my eternal regret. And no desire to see the old acts that are now on tour. Most of the time they are missing key players, and they often sound nothing like they did in their prime. I'd rather listen to a good album of them instead, or watch them on YouTube in their classic years.

Worked in show biz/concert industry for close to 35 years. Have $7000 worth of hearing aids to prove it. Technician, designer and even occasionally produced shows.

First show I ever worked backstage, Jimmy Buffett opening for the Eagles in 1977. Have designed lighting for some listed and have seen many of them live because all my friends are in the touring industry.

But I have three that I wish I could have seen.....Elvis, The Beatles and The Doors.

And if I end up in heaven...I want be Jim Morrison's lighting designer for his weekend gigs.

Janis Joplin, still love her music and it must have been something to see her live.
I was lucky enough to see her three times before she died. Her recordings don’t reflect how amazing she was live. Some of the videos of her playing live are great.

I’m going to see Elvis Costello and Blondie in August. They’re touring together this summer. I’ve never seen them.

Wish I’d seen: Steely Dan, Joni Mitchell, Cream, CSNY, Eric Clapton. Probably lots of others.

Saw many acts back in the 70s, the golden era of rock. My biggest regret was being too wasted at the huge Watkins Glen concert in 1973 to remember.

Reminds me of that saying that if you can remember the 60's, you weren't there, or something along those lines :cool:

Someone mentioned Duke Ellington. My dad made a point of seeing him when we visited Disneyland in the early 70's. It was a highlight of the trip, even more than the Matterhorn.

I regret not seeing Abba. Think they passed through the Bay Area in the late 70's when I was a teenager, but I was too young to think about going, and then a year or two later they'd broken up.

As I get serious about ER I'm putting together the bucket list and thinking of things that I'll regret having not done....including see musicians in concert (very topical thread, this). So, on a whim I checked to see if a favorite French singer -- Francis Cabrel -- would be touring, since he's now in his late 60's and may be retiring soon himself. Turns out he is, and it coincides with an upcoming vacation to France. So I got tickets! Can't wait to see him next week! Just hope the jet lag has worn off enough that I can stay awake to enjoy the concert.

Band I have seen LIVE

Bands I have seen LIVE:

Grateful Dead >250 shows
Old and In The Way (October 3, 1973, Hugo’s Warehouse, Palo Alto, Calif.)
Rolling Stones (October 3rd or 4th, 1981, Folsom Field, Boulder, Colo.)
The Beach Boys (April 19, 1978, University of Texas, Austin, Texas)
Elton John
Little Feat with Lowell George (June 4th, 1978, Paramount Theater, Austin,Texas)
Ry Cooder (approx. 1977/Austin, Texas)
Willie Nelson (approx. 1977/Austin, Texas)
Quicksilver Messenger Service
Jethro Tull (approx 1969 or 1970, Fillmore West, San Francisco, Calif.)
Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young
Derek and The Dominos with Eric Clapton and Duane Allman (Kiel Opera House, St. Louis, MO)
New Riders of the Purple Sage
Diga Rhythm Devils
Canned Heat (approx. 1969/St. Louis, Mo.)
Alice Cooper (early 70s, St. Louis, auditorium adjacent to Blues Hockey Arena)
Velvet Underground (approx. 1969/St. Louis, Mo.)
David Bowie (approx. 1969/St. Louis, Mo.)
James Brown 4X (approx. 1969/St. Louis, Mo.)
Little Stevie Wonder (approx. 1969/St. Louis, Mo.)
Dan Hicks and His Hot Licks
Pat Metheny
Janis Joplin (Pearl) (approx. 1970/St. Louis, Mo.)
David Grisman
James McMurtry
Jimi Hendrix (approx. 1969/St. Louis, Mo.)
Allman Brothers
Marshall Tucker Band
Charlie Daniels Band
Doug Sahm
Richie Havens (Honolulu, Hawaii, 1975)
Fleetwood Mac (Diamondhead Crater, Hawaii, 1975)
Jefferson Airplane
Flying Burrito Brothers
Sonny Terry and Brownie McGee
Mose Allison (approx. 1972 or 1973, beach/dive bar, Moss Beach, Calif.)
Neil Young
Albert King (approx. 1969/St. Louis, Mo. 3X)
Derek and The Dominos with Eric Clapton (approx. 1970-71,St. Louis, Mo.)
Dark Star Orchestra
Jorma Kaukonen
It’s Beautiful Day with David LaFlamme
Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young
Spooky Tooth (1969, September, San Francisco, Calif.)
Dire Straits
George Thorogood and The Destroyers
Iron Butterfly (approx. 1969/St. Louis, Mo.)
Hank Williams Jr, (April 6, 2019j
Thee Dog Night (April 5, 2019)

I really wish I’d caught Pink Floyd!

I first saw them in the early 60's at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium that held either 2000 or 4000 people, (Can't remember) They could not sell out the evening concert. I was flabbergasted listening to them! I never missed another one of their converts ever.

On a different note, I saw the Beatles at the Hollywood bowl. The only problem was I never heard a note because of the screaming but at least I enjoyed the excitement.

As I look back on my life in the 60's I think my job was going to concerts, :LOL: LOL. I saw just about every big name group that decade.

Attachments

• 1968 Ticket.jpg
    1968 Ticket.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 43
Here is somebody from the 1960's , he is touring again looks pretty old . But my friend is now his lead guitar player . She is a true Badass guitar player . When Carolyn was in high School she begged to play at her graduation . She could hardly play but she stood up and played . And she played , with ZZ Top , Bob Dylan etc and now she is with John Mayall . Wow good for her and John Mayall.

Last edited:
Bob Seger was our last bucket list star and we saw him in Austin a few weeks ago...one of the best shows I've seen, even at his ripe old age

I saw him in 1976 when he opened for KISS in Ft. Worth if memory serves.

And am seeing him on his "farewell" tour Saturday, and that you thought the show was good was a consideration. Looking forward to it. We found some really good seats yesterday.

Terry Reid was in town last night and we caught his show. He was quite a phenom in prog-rock back in the late '60s, one of producer Mickie Most's proteges. Jimmy Page sought him out to front the nascent Led Zepplin but Terry was committed to tour with the Rolling Stones and Cream at the time ... instead he recommended a singer he knew, Robert Plant. Also suggested John Bonham on drums. At the time Terry was 18 years old.

Ritchie Blackmore also approached him when Deep Purple was about to sack Rod Evans, but Terry turned him down. Some troubled recording deals followed, setting him back professionally, but he remained, IMO, an incredible talent.

Here he is in a 2016 performance.

I'm an IDIOT to have passed on Tom Petty so many times

Stevie Ray
Hendrix
Led Zepplin
Kansas (had tickets but ice storm)

That being said I have seen some great ones

Fleetwood Mac (Rumours)
ZZ Top
Joe Bonamassa (many times)
Elton John (Yellow Brick Road)
AC/DC (many times)

Bruce Cockburn, a great musician in his own right, has a line in one of his songs...”no one wants to hear about something you didn’t do.”

I haven't seen Fleetwood Mac as a full band.

Saw Lindsey Buckingham solo. Stevie Nicks solo.

I saw Fleetwood Mac in Milwaukee in the 90s. Great show. Highlight was Lindsey Buckingham doing an awesome version of "Big Love" at the end, with all the lights turned down, and just a spotlight on him on stage. Wow, the man can play guitar, and he puts everything he has into it. To me, Fleetwood Mac without LB is not the same band.

Saw Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band around 2008, also in Milwaukee. Another great show..........3+ hours long, and non-stop energy.

Saw Chris Cornell perform with Audioslave, around 2004. Glad I got the chance to see him.........another great talent who has left us too early.

Saw Neil Young do a solo show in Minneapolis some years back.......enjoyed that as well.

I have not seen Pearl Jam yet, and would like to see them on of these days, if they come anywhere close to me. I've been an Eddie Vedder fan for a long time.

I saw Neil Young a couple of weeks ago for the first time. Great show.

I’ve seen Pearl Jam many times. The last time was one of their home shows last August. They put on a great show.

Next up is Cage the Elephant with Beck in July, then the Stones in August and Of Monsters and Men in September. It’s been a good year for concerts. :)

I saw Neil Young a couple of weeks ago for the first time. Great show.

I’ve seen Pearl Jam many times. The last time was one of their home shows last August. They put on a great show.

Next up is Cage the Elephant with Beck in July, then the Stones in August and Of Monsters and Men in September. It’s been a good year for concerts. :)

I heard Neil was getting a bit wacky lately with his causes. Have seen him three times and is probably my biggest influence on playing guitar

Back
Top Bottom