NFL: 2014 Season

I must have backed the DVR up at least 10 rimes and watched it again and again. That one was close and could be argued either way IMO. It's just unfortunate that the outcome of a game this important has to be decided on a call like that. You win some and you lose some.

However, it was one hell of a game.

Truly great teams don't get themselves in a situation where one bad call can cost them the game. Just my 2 cents.

Playoff history in the modern (Super Bowl) era says otherwise. The "truly great teams" would be those winning (or perhaps playing in) the most Super Bowls. Based on SB wins, that would be:

Pittsburgh: 6
Dallas: 5
SF: 5
Green Bay: 4
NY Giants: 4
And let's throw in New England: 3 (since it's the most for any team since 2000)

That's 27 seasons.

Those "truly great teams" won the Super Bowl or their Conference Championship by <=7 points more than half the time in the 27 seasons represented by the SB championships above, and more than half of those were decided by 4 pts or less.

Those margins of victory (and the "dynasties" we as fans declare as a result) are easily determined by just one bad call. If you google 'worst NFL playoff calls', you will see that many of the [-]Top[/-] Worst 10 determined several of these games.

I'm not saying that NFL officials do a poor job on the whole. In fact, I'm amazed at how much they get right with the speed of the game and before they have the benefit of looking at instant replay.

But, the clear lesson here is that officiating matters, and it matters most when it matters most, great teams or not.

Playoff history in the modern (Super Bowl) era says otherwise.

I take exception to that definition of modern football. I remember football before the hype laden extravaganzas know as Super Bowls, and I'm not pre-historic. Modern football started when they went to plastic helmets. So there.

Well it's about time for me to make my picks for this weekends game. I broke even last weekend at 50% and my favorite two teams were eliminated:(. Okay for games this weekend, I'm going to pick New England and Green Bay. I'm not really excited about any of the remaining games/teams but as long as Seattle doesn't win the SB, I guess I'll be happy. I'm sure you Seahawks fans are saying, well be prepared to be unhappy.

Anyone else care to make their picks known before the games start?

Already picked Seattle vs NE in the SB (post #950)

Cannot see Green Bay beating the Seahawks with a hobbled Rodgers when Seattle beat them by 20 with a healthy Rodgers.

Indy lost by 22 to the PATS in Indy in week 11 and will have to score 40 points to have a shot. Last three meeting since Luck has been Indy's QB the PATS outscored the Colts 144-66.

I think any of the four teams have a legit chance to win the SB.

But since I already picked who I thought would win before the playoff started, guess there's no flip flopping allowed.

So I'm picking Seattle and the Pats.

Indy lost by 22 to the PATS in Indy in week 11 and will have to score 40 points to have a shot. Last three meeting since Luck has been Indy's QB the PATS outscored the Colts 144-66.

A lot of things have changed for the Colts since week 11, particularly on the offensive line and defensive lines. I'm not bullish on their chance to win because Foxboro is where young Colts QBs go to die, but I'd be surprised if it was a blowout.

Also, that week 11 game was 28-20 in the fourth quarter...

Even a hobbled Rodgers has me sufficiently nervous.

Yes, a hobbled Rodgers may just end up playing like GB's other legendary QB (#15) and just find a way to win, injury and all.

Last edited:
I'm picking Indy and GB to win. They are both 7 pt underdogs and if I was in Vegas I would be betting big on both of them. Those lines are way to big.

Of all the QB's, I think Luck is on a roll. But Wilson is his usual consistent self. Brady engineered a terrific comeback (pass, pass and pass some more against Baltimore), and Rodgers, gimpy leg and all was something to watch.

His 150 QB rating against a stout Carolina defense suggests Wilson is more than just the "consistent" game manager that some seem to think he is. He is as dangerous as any QB in the playoffs. Crowd the line to try to stop his runs, he will dice you like he did to Carolina...back off too much, he will put up 80 yards rushing.

Pick your poison. This is going to be fun. :dance:

I meant "consistent" in a very positive way :D

In fact, for that game, the question may not be so much can Rodgers play on a gimpy leg, but do the Packers have an answer for Wilson?

In fact, for that game, the question may not be so much can Rodgers play on a gimpy leg, but do the Packers have an answer for Wilson?
We're Pats fans and we hope they win the SB, but I don't think anyone can beat Seattle if they're playing well in all three phases.

However, even given how awesome he is, I wouldn't say it solely comes down to Wilson. Seattles's defense is as important if not more than Wilson and others. Still scratching my head over what they did to Denver's offense in last years SB, especially given how well Manning et al were playing last year.

Last edited:
I meant "consistent" in a very positive way :D

Agreed. I think Wilson will prove to be every bit of a challenge for the GB defense as Rodgers will be for Seattle's defense. The thing is, Seattle's defense is BETTER than GB's, and Rodger's is gimpy. Hard to see a scenario in which GB wins...but, as I said before, I'm nervous about this one.

Agreed. I think Wilson will prove to be every bit of a challenge for the GB defense as Rodgers will be for Seattle's defense. The thing is, Seattle's defense is BETTER than GB's, and Rodger's is gimpy. Hard to see a scenario in which GB wins...but, as I said before, I'm nervous about this one.

I respect Green Bay and Rodgers. But you have nothing to be nervous about. Seattle wins big.

Seattle is without a doubt the best team right now, but the best team doesn't always win. NFL teams are very evenly matched and a lot of games come down to one silly turnover or momentum caused by any number of things that cant be predicted ahead of time. Does anyone really think the Giants were the best team in the league when they won the Super Bowl a few years ago?

So to say that its hard to see a scenario where in which GB wins is a bit of a stretch. GB is a damned good team. If Rodgers' can loosen his leg up and be able to move to avoid Seattle's pass rush, GB could easily win. If Wilson sprains an ankle, GB can easily win. If Seattle turns the ball over more then GB, GB can easily win.

St.Louis finished 6-10 but they beat BOTH of last year's Super Bowl teams (Denver and Seattle) while playing with a backup QB. Strange things happen in football.

Now if they both play their absolute best football, Seattle will win but that rarely happens.

I'll go with GB and the Colts, with the Packers winning the SB. Totally emotional picks. But as Utrecht says, strange things.

Seattle v. NE, with Seattle the winner.

Colts beating the Pats is more likely than the Packers beating the Hawks. Would have a different opinion is AR was healthy.

But there's a reason they have to actually play the game, and on any given Sunday...

Sent from my iCouch using Early Retirement Forum

Seattle is without a doubt the best team right now, but the best team doesn't always win. NFL teams are very evenly matched and a lot of games come down to one silly turnover or momentum caused by any number of things that cant be predicted ahead of time. Does anyone really think the Giants were the best team in the league when they won the Super Bowl a few years ago?

So to say that its hard to see a scenario where in which GB wins is a bit of a stretch. GB is a damned good team. If Rodgers' can loosen his leg up and be able to move to avoid Seattle's pass rush, GB could easily win. If Wilson sprains an ankle, GB can easily win. If Seattle turns the ball over more then GB, GB can easily win.

St.Louis finished 6-10 but they beat BOTH of last year's Super Bowl teams (Denver and Seattle) while playing with a backup QB. Strange things happen in football.

Now if they both play their absolute best football, Seattle will win but that rarely happens.
9k=
Another unpredictable but fun thing about the game of football is that the ball is shaped funny. So it often bounces in an unpredictable way. And just one odd bounce and the resulting play can sometimes be the difference between a win and a loss--particularly in a close game.
9k=
12395-4.jpg

Go Hawks!

I'll go with GB and the Colts, with the Packers winning the SB. Totally emotional picks. But as Utrecht says, strange things.

+1. This is what i'm hoping for. I really want the Packers to win but i'll be content with any game other than NE vs Seattle in the SB.

+1. This is what i'm hoping for. I really want the Packers to win but i'll be content with any game other than NE vs Seattle in the SB.

I agree, last week Belichick and Brady showed their class and sportmanship with those legal plays. The sooner they get beat the better. Tom will have time to read something about karma! Anybody but NE, GB being my favorite to take the Lombardi Trophy!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Last edited:
Even a hobbled Rodgers has me sufficiently nervous.

If Rodgers is still hobbled (and I'd be shocked if he isn't), maybe GB will focus on ball control, running with Lacy and Starks, and then pick their moments with the passing game. I think GB kinda did that at times against Dallas until the 4th Qtr where it was "suck it up" time and Rodgers hobbled and passed with success :)

I agree, last week Belichick and Brady showed their class and sportmanship with those legal plays. The sooner they get beat the better. Tom will have time to read something about karma! Anybody but NE, GB being my favorite to take the Lombardi Trophy!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

It seems to me that John Harbaugh was the one whining about plays that the league confirmed were perfectly legal. He just got out coached by BB....

And hopefully Tom will be preparing for his 6th trip to the SB.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom