NFL: 2014 Season

Rest easy Seattle and get over your lucky win against Packers. Lightning does not strike twice. Although maybe it does in Seattle where it rains all the time.
Yeah, yeah, alright already. We get it! The Seahawks, in their "ugly uniforms," win only by sheer luck, while the Pats win by coaching brilliance and a highly-talented team led by the Golden Boy who can do no wrong. :facepalm:

Last edited:
This thread is getting ugly. Bye, people who get too emotionally involved in watching grown men get paid too much to play a game. I'll be back next year when the fantasy season starts again.

.....Belichick needs to be banned indefinitely and the Pats need to forfeit their entire 2015 draft. Their last punishment of $500,000 fine and loss of their first round pick didn't deter them so this one needs to be harsher.

Yeah, don't get your hopes up on that happening. To me there is a huge difference between offering bounties for players to injure other players and taking a couple pounds of air out of some footballs.
Besides, the refs who handle games balls on every play hardly noticed?

Last edited:
If I owned the Seahawks I would hire a few very experienced footballers to watch everything that goes on to make sure no cheating takes place.

This thread is getting ugly. Bye, people who get too emotionally involved in watching grown men get paid too much to play a game. I'll be back next year when the fantasy season starts again.
Yeah go back to the fire and money forum.

After the balls were inflated to specification at halftime the PATS shut out the Colts 28-0 and Brady was 8 for 8 in the third period.

And the logic of comparing coaches asking their players to deliberately inflict injuries on opposing players to taking a couple of pounds of air out of a football is a real sound logic......

Now you got it, bye bye birdie.

:LOL:
For me, this is all just friendly ribbing among fans of opposing teams of the biggest game in American sports. I know it's only entertainment by people who get paid a lot to entertain me. Reminds me of when I was a kid and had passionate debates with friends who preferred the Rolling Stones over my Beatles.

By the way, did you know that the popular 1964 song "We Love You Beatles" was based on the theme song for the 1963 movie Bye Bye Birdie?

Last edited:
Yeah, don't get your hopes up on that happening. To me there is a huge difference between offering bounties for players to injure other players and taking a couple pounds of air out of some footballs.
Besides, the refs who handle games balls on every play hardly noticed?

Have you ever played football? Taking a few pounds of air of the ball makes a MASSIVE difference especially when the ball is wet and your hands are cold. Its worse than corking a bat in baseball as far as cheating goes. Its a huge advantage. Have you seen some of the interviews with former players? On that specific day, the Pats would've destroyed the Colts anyway, but that's not the point. The Pats will do everything within and NOT within the rules to win. Belichick doesn't care about the integrity of the game or the spirit of the rules. Hes a cheater.

After the balls were inflated to specification at halftime the PATS shut out the Colts 28-0 and Brady was 8 for 8 in the third period.

And the logic of comparing coaches asking their players to deliberately inflict injuries on opposing players to taking a couple of pounds of air out of a football is a real sound logic......

Baseball players get suspended for taking steroids and corking their bats. They don't suspended for sliding hard into the 2nd baseman. One is cheating and one is not.

There is contact in contact sports. Football is a physically rough sport so coaches will always encourage players to be as rough as possible. Paying players to knock someone out is overboard obviously but should the penalty be drastically harsher than the penalty for blatantly cheating? I think not.

I'm a Steeler fan and don't really care about either of the Pats or Seahawks, but if there's one thing I hate its a cheater and the Pats have been caught numerous times now. No true sports fan can be OK with cheating especially when its over and over again by the same team.

Also, the NFL threatened to throw Marshawn Lynch out of the championship game if he wore gold cleats. Seriously? So if they will suspend a player for a game for wearing the wrong colored cleats, surely they should suspend a coach for multiple games up to an entire season for a third offense of cheating.

Baseball players get suspended for taking steroids and corking their bats. They don't suspended for sliding hard into the 2nd baseman. One is cheating and one is not.

There is contact in contact sports. Football is a physically rough sport so coaches will always encourage players to be as rough as possible. Paying players to knock someone out is overboard obviously but should the penalty be drastically harsher than the penalty for blatantly cheating? I think not.

I'm a Steeler fan and don't really care about either of the Pats or Seahawks, but if there's one thing I hate its a cheater and the Pats have been caught numerous times now. No true sports fan can be OK with cheating especially when its over and over again by the same team.

A Steeler fan....Now that explains the deep hatred for the PATS with Brady's record against the Steelers at 6-1.

Again if they are found guilty after a thorough investigation by the league they should be penalized and I'm sure they will get a harsher punishment because this would be their second offense.

But it won't matter, in the salary cap era they've proven to be the most dominant team in the league and will continue to be as long as Brady is their QB.

:horse::horse::horse:

What cheating incident, of more significance than any other team, other than Spygate?

OTOH: I hear there's a press conference this morning. If the Pats tampered with the balls, they should be punished.

The refs checked the balls before the game and didn't release them to the Pats until just before the game. So the tampering would have been on the field in front of the crowd, cameras, etc. And reports state that 11 of 12 balls were 2 psi low, how would someone on the sidelines consistency release 2 psi?

And this snippet this morning is puzzling. If they found this, why didn't they take corrective action at halftime? That is within their jurisdiction.

According to a National Football League letter about the investigation into the controversy that was shared with the Globe, the Patriots were informed that the league’s initial findings indicated that the game balls did not meet specifications. The league inspected each of the Patriots’ 12 game balls twice at halftime, using different pressure gauges, and found footballs that were not properly inflated.

:LOL:
For me, this is all just friendly ribbing among fans of opposing teams of the biggest game in American sports. I know it's only entertainment by people who get paid a lot to entertain me. Reminds me of when I was a kid and had passionate debates with friends who preferred the Rolling Stones over my Beatles.

By the way, did you know that the popular 1964 song "We Love You Beatles" was based on the theme song for the 1963 movie Bye Bye Birdie?
You are a good sport, Birdie. :greetings10:

No group compares to the Beatles:D. There is nothing that evokes more emotion and enthusiasm than football. I think college football is even more fervent vs NFL.

Folks, to quote Yoda, "Colorful language makes not for a post acceptable. Hmmmmm.".

:horse::horse::horse:

What cheating incident, of more significance than any other team, other than Spygate?

OTOH: I hear there's a press conference this morning. If the Pats tampered with the balls, they should be punished.

The refs checked the balls before the game and didn't release them to the Pats until just before the game. So the tampering would have been on the field in front of the crowd, cameras, etc. And reports state that 11 of 12 balls were 2 psi low, how would someone on the sidelines consistency release 2 psi?

And this snippet this morning is puzzling. If they found this, why didn't they take corrective action at halftime? That is within their jurisdiction.

On the flip side, I'd think if a QB wanted a football under inflated, that he'd want one under inflated by a constant amount...one less variable to consider when throwing a pass. Which leads me to believe the deflating is more a planned event instead of some guy just doing a prank in which the deflating amount would be random.

Last edited:
...snip...
...snip..

Not going to engage in any debate, but the utube shows how to consistently release pressure. I have seen gauges that automatically stop at a given pressure. Someone that handles balls all the time could probably do it with just the standard needle, much smaller, have to rely on feel. I don't think it would be hard.

All that said I've not read an official NFL release that says who, where, and how. I hope the NFL gets this straight, it's been a horrible year with all the information that's come out. This sport is looking like professional wrestling at this point in time. Fans support the game with our dollars, we deserve to know the truth.

I'm not a NE hater, I don't understand the bickering. Actually NE came to our stadium this year and were very generous to our mediocre team. The fans in this city thought they were very nice guests.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Not going to engage in any debate, but the utube shows how to consistently release pressure. I have seen gauges that automatically stop at a given pressure. Someone that handles balls all the time could probably do it with just the standard needle, much smaller, have to rely on feel. I don't think it would be hard.

All that said I've not read an official NFL release that says who, where, and how. I hope the NFL gets this straight, it's been a horrible year with all the information that's come out. This sport is looking like professional wrestling at this point in time. Fans support the game with our dollars, we deserve to know the truth.

I'm not a NE hater, I don't understand the bickering. Actually NE came to our stadium this year and were very generous to our mediocre team. The fans in this city thought they were very nice guests.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
I know it can be done quickly with a bare needle, but letting off a consistent 2 psi on 11 balls would be very difficult from an article I read yesterday. It would be easy with a gauge, but I can't believe a ball attendant would be so brazen to be using a gauge on the sidelines with cameras, refs and thousands of fans - hope we find out. Obviously from the presser this morning, I don't believe Belichick knew at all, though I realize others will believe otherwise at the drop of a hat. Think I read Brady has a presser this afternoon. But until the NFL finishes their investigation I doubt we'll know. Sad situation whether the Pats were complicit or not.

I still don't understand why the refs didn't act at halftime if the checked then as the Globe article states.

Belichick at his press conference pretty much tried to wash his hands from the whole thing and put Brady on the Spot. My expectation is that Brady will probably pretty much take the fifth too. Then it'll be up to Goodell and the NFL. Who wants to put this deflategate thing behind and have next week promoting the Superbowl game.

Belichick at his press conference pretty much tried to wash his hands from the whole thing and put Brady on the Spot. My expectation is that Brady will probably pretty much take the fifth too. Then it'll be up to Goodell and the NFL. Who wants to put this deflategate thing behind and have next week promoting the Superbowl game.

My guess is...the Patriots

Well, Brady actually said a lot more than I thought during his press conference. He did contradict himself when first saying that he like the footballs inflated a certain way, but then said he couldn't tell the difference between if a ball is under inflated or not. Which is it? :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom