NFL: 2020 Season

Came very close to turning off the Cowboys/Falcons game after the first quarter. What an unbelievable finish by the boys, especially considering how depleted they are with injuries.

The Texans are getting beat up and they look flat. Oh well, it's expected this year since they traded away their best wide receiver.

Butker deserves a raise. And Herbert is definitely one to watch.

The Texans are getting beat up and they look flat. Oh well, it's expected this year since they traded away their best wide receiver.

I don't know how the Texans are this season, but geez they started the season against the Superbowl champs followed by the divisional round loser who were expected to go far but got overrun by the unexpected super Titans.

The Dallas game today. I still don't know what to make of it. I think I'll just be happy for the W and see what happens next.

I also can't decide if that onside kick was the worst execution I've seen in ages by both teams or the best onside kick execution ever. If he actually meant to mow the grass with the football, never leave the ground, and english one way, it was brilliantly done. But in the moments before recovery I thought it was the worst kick I'd seen in memory and doubted it would make it 10 yards if nobody touched it.

I also can't decide if that onside kick was the worst execution I've seen in ages by both teams or the best onside kick execution ever. If he actually meant to mow the grass with the football, never leave the ground, and english one way, it was brilliantly done. But in the moments before recovery I thought it was the worst kick I'd seen in memory and doubted it would make it 10 yards if nobody touched it.

I have never seen that technique used for an onside kick. I think the receiving team did not know whether it would go 10 yds or if they jumped on it early were afraid of mishandling due to the spin.

Not a Cam Newton fan but I thought he played pretty well last night, though he’s a little too reluctant to give the ball to others. There were several examples, but the last play of the game is exhibit one. They could have won if they scored from the one yard line on the last play. Everyone knew Cam Newton would try to run it in, so of course he didn’t make it, not even close. I assume the Patriots coaching staff will make more of a team player out of Newton, we’ll see...

Not a Cam Newton fan but I thought he played pretty well last night, though he’s a little too reluctant to give the ball to others. There were several examples, but the last play of the game is exhibit one. They could have won if they scored from the one yard line on the last play. Everyone knew Cam Newton would try to run it in, so of course he didn’t make it, not even close. I assume the Patriots coaching staff will make more of a team player out of Newton, we’ll see...

I did not watch the game but just caught the highlight of the final play. Since the last play of the game, I think it doesn't matter whether a pass or run play is called. But I do question the call snapping the ball so far back, then trying to run.

Anyone notice the irony of Patriots vs Seahawks when back in that Superbowl pretty much everyone thought just give the ball to Lynch, he'll run the ball in. But of course that didn't happen. This time, just give the ball to Cam, and he got stopped.

easysurfer said:
Anyone notice the irony of Patriots vs Seahawks when back in that Superbowl pretty much everyone thought just give the ball to Lynch, he'll run the ball in. But of course that didn't happen. This time, just give the ball to Cam, and he got stopped.

That occurred to me as I watched the game. :eek:

The reality is nobody knows what would have happened in either case had a different play been called. We all know that. But, it sure is fun (and harmless) to speculate on sports and other people's errors. ;)

Yes was amazing. Saw stat that in NFL history teams that score 39 points with no turnovers were 440-0 going into yesterday.

Now 440-1.

I have never seen that technique used for an onside kick. I think the receiving team did not know whether it would go 10 yds or if they jumped on it early were afraid of mishandling due to the spin.

With new onside kick rules that kind of thing is what you will see.

Since it worked it must have been brilliant.

;)

I'm not a cam fan either, but I'm guessing that Cam is giving it to whoever the play calls for or keeping it where the play calls for it... I doubt that he is improvising much... so I'd blame Josh McDaniels more than Cam.

That said, I don't think to have Cam run it was necessarily a bad call since he had been successful on similar plays earlier in the game.... it is just that on that particular play the Seahawks executed well and the Patriots didn't.

I'm not a cam fan either, but I'm guessing that Cam is giving it to whoever the play calls for or keeping it where the play calls for it... I doubt that he is improvising much... so I'd blame Josh McDaniels more than Cam.

That said, I don't think to have Cam run it was necessarily a bad call since he had been successful on similar plays earlier in the game.... it is just that on that particular play the Seahawks executed well and the Patriots didn't.
You’re probably right, though I assume it was an option play, and I assumed Cam would keep no matter what.

https://heavy.com/sports/new-england-patriots/2020/09/patriots-seahawks-cam-newton-josh-mcdaniels/

(0:03 - 4th) (Shotgun) C.Newton left tackle to SEA 2 for -1 yards (L.Collier).
That's the failed play. Coach not very happy about the outcome.

In the Raiders vs. Saints game there was a goal line drive where Raiders lined up similar on 3 plays, showing run. On the 3rd attempt the tight end just slid out to the right for an easy six.

(0:03 - 4th) (Shotgun) C.Newton left tackle to SEA 2 for -1 yards (L.Collier).
That's the failed play. Coach not very happy about the outcome.

In the Raiders vs. Saints game there was a goal line drive where Raiders lined up similar on 3 plays, showing run. On the 3rd attempt the tight end just slid out to the right for an easy six.

IIRC the Pats ran that pass play for a touchdown earlier in the game but to an RB rather than a TE.

Another week, another blown game by the Falcons.

Sound familiar? Falcons pretty much had the game won but instead of running the ball to chew up time, went pass crazy allowing a heroic comeback.

Nick Foles looked the Nick Foles the magician again, coming up clutch :).

The Falcons suffered their second straight fourth-quarter collapse after leading by two touchdowns, this time to backup quarterback Nick Foles and the Chicago Bears, who rallied from a 16-point deficit for a 30-26 win on Sunday that could spell the end for Atlanta coach Dan Quinn.Foles replaced Mitchell Trubisky and threw three touchdown passes in the fourth quarter for the Bears, who improved to 3-0 for the first time since 2013.

The Falcons (0-3) became the first team in NFL history lose back-to-back games in which it led by 15 or more points in the final period, according to STATS.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...se-foles-3-tds-lead-30-26-bears-win/42697585/

Texans look bad. Now 0 - 3.

Maybe they didn't throw enough money at Watson after they traded away DeAndre Hopkins at the end of last season.

The high scoring across the board continues this week. NFL RedZone going "crazy" switching among the games, trying to capture all of the scoring opportunities. If no preseason means high scoring, I can get used to that. :)

I watch very little NFL but I watched the MN game today. What a terriable team they are and looks like they are 0-3.

Yikes! Another Seahawks' win that came down to the last second. Whew!

As a Niner fan, I actively root against the Seahawks, but it’s impossible not to be impressed by the things Russell Wilson does on the field. He’s truly a wizard out there.

Metcalf is breathing a sigh of relief that they won, after he cost them a TD (I have him on my fantasy team, so he cost me as well :mad:).

Another week, another blown game by the Falcons.

Sound familiar? Falcons pretty much had the game won but instead of running the ball to chew up time, went pass crazy allowing a heroic comeback.

Nick Foles looked the Nick Foles the magician again, coming up clutch :).

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...se-foles-3-tds-lead-30-26-bears-win/42697585/
I don’t know how the Bears can go back to Trubisky after Foles performance yesterday. But they probably will...

Texans look bad. Now 0 - 3.

Maybe they didn't throw enough money at Watson after they traded away DeAndre Hopkins at the end of last season.
I'm not watching this year but I'm happy to hear this......

Back
Top Bottom