Nice Cars... is it a vice?

Needs to be charged up..:LOL:

That's the great thing about electrics - every morning they are charged up and ready to go. You can cross visits to the fueling station off your "to-do" list. I never realized how much of a benefit this was until I bought one.

Actually, I can't take credit for this, my lovely wife came up with the idea. I thought she was crazy until I experienced it first-hand.:blush:

If you haven't seen this, Ford came out with a video casting the new Mach-E mustang. Which, BTW, they are taking orders on now. This 1,400 HP beast of an electric Mustang (not the public's version) is just for demonstration as to what Ford is doing:

Ford appears to have spent a fortune in order to convince the world that electric vehicles have nearly limitless potential.

Its latest spot promoting the Mach-E (and its current efforts to embrace battery power) include a high-powered prototype boating 1,400 horsepower and some of the most recognizable faces in motorsport attempting to challenge it — or at least help make for some quality entertainment while parodying the scientific method. The marketing campaign is so bonkers, it’s hard to be cross with the company even if Ford had taken the testing more seriously.

The video is here:

https://youtu.be/Y3846KFDmFQ

The entire article:

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2020/07/ford-reveals-literal-hype-machine-with-prototype-mach-e/

I really don't believe Tesla "created" their own SS alloy as that's not their business and if they did, please supply me/us the ASTM certification document and material specs, or at least a link to that information.

I have some new confirmation of the unique stainless steel alloy being used by Tesla and SpaceX (straight from the horses mouth):

Elon Musk:

We’re rapidly changing alloy constituents & forming methods, so traditional names like 304L will become more of an approximation

Link here:

Since they have no factory for the truck fabrication and assembly, and have not made any production units, I can't believe many of your claims made on the physical attributes of the SS material until the truck is assembled. It's just hearsay.

Yes, hearsay right from the CEO's own mouth. Here's the deal - Tesla has a proven record of rapid innovation and they always deliver a better product than the specs they initially announce. I cannot say the same about their competition who tend to have to walk back their stated EPA ranges and sometimes even the performance once the vehicle is actually produced. Tesla has always released vehicles that travel farther and accelerate faster than the announced specs. Often they upgrade them further at no cost AFTER you have already owned it for a year or more! Constant improvement. This isn't hearsay, it's fact. I know of no other automaker that does that!

I understand you are a Fanboy and that's all good, but understand that 1/2 or more of what you read on a FUTURE vehicle is pure marketing and may not be a reality. I mean, how else would Tesla be able to sell this stuff?:)

I know it's hard to believe but it's true. Tesla doesn't have a reputation for delivering less than they claimed. They can sell every car they make, almost as soon as they make it, not because they lie about the product but because they have demonstrably superior products that are cheaper and easier to operate, pollute less and last longer. Yes, plenty of people throw shade their way trying to make their vehicles seem shoddy but nothing could be further from the truth. Some people just hate those who overachieve and have outsized accomplishments. Some people throw shade towards Elon Musk because he's become a billionaire, not by pushing coal and oil or by trading stocks or selling snake oil, but by improving peoples lives, bettering the world we live in and helping humanity make the transition to cleaner forms of energy and transportation. This drives some people nuts!

The American automobile industry has been sorely lacking in real innovation for decades. Finally we have someone willing to take it to the next level for the benefit of all.

If you haven't seen this, Ford came out with a video casting the new Mach-E mustang. Which, BTW, they are taking orders on now. This 1,400 HP beast of an electric Mustang (not the public's version) is just for demonstration as to what Ford is doing:

The video is here:

https://youtu.be/Y3846KFDmFQ

The entire article:

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2020/07/ford-reveals-literal-hype-machine-with-prototype-mach-e/

You're saying I won't be able to buy the 1400 HP version? I'm not sure what the point is if it won't be made available. Then the video says I can buy a Mach-e next summer. But it's not the one they showed? Isn't that kinda like a bait and switch? What's the point of the video and all the smoke if the one you buy can't do that:confused:?

More importantly, do you really think Ford would even be offering the Mach-e if not for Tesla? Tesla has lit a fire under the behinds of the overly comfortable auto industry executives and this is a good thing!

Last edited:
I would love to get my wife a new 2021 Ford Bronco, but being fair, I would need a new 2021 Mustang GT...it would be my 5th one, I am currently driving a beautiful 2013 white Mustang, and she has a dark green Jeep Liberty Renegade.

Life is too short to drive something boring !

As my wife and I move closer to FIRE, we switched to a full electric lifestyle. She is driving a 2019 LEAF, and I have a 2019 Tesla Model 3 LR. They were both purchased used with less than 10,000, and are under warranties. As we were making the purchases, we also installed a solar array on our home, which has so far produced 100% of our transportation electricity while reducing our normal electric bills by around 30%. As we are both still commuting, the offset in the gas savings will pay for our solar in around 4 years.

Charging has not been a problem, although we do have to unplug my car around 7pm and plug her's in so we are both ready to go the next morning. Mine has enough range that I can go 2 or 3 days without needing to charge. The Tesla has been our car for road trips, and their charging network makes things easy. We did 1000 mile over 4 days a couple weeks ago, and charging was no big deal using superchargers and a hotel with a free charging spot (they had 3).

I forgot to mention that our solar inverter (Solar Edge) is also the charging station, so on sunny days we can charge directly from the solar system.

I have ok from the boss to get a Bronco. But I know it will be a while before I can order one or get one off the dealer lot.

I have ok from the boss to get a Bronco. But I know it will be a while before I can order one or get one off the dealer lot.

According to what I have read on a respectable auto blog site, the first edition of the Bronco's already all have deposits on them. Could be a long wait to get one via an order.

I looked into placing an order for a new C8 Vette and was given 18 months as a guess.

According to what I have read on a respectable auto blog site, the first edition of the Bronco's already all have deposits on them. Could be a long wait to get one via an order.

I looked into placing an order for a new C8 Vette and was given 18 months as a guess.

I knew about the deposit deal, but didn't do it. Now I wish that I had.

C8 Vette 18 months out doesn't sound too bad given the Chevy corvette assembly line. I know years ago they could only put out 140 some corvettes a day.

I wouldn't mind waiting 18 months for a Bronco. I'm going to look into it.

With the delayed production on the 2020 model Vettes, many people who had orders in got shifted to the 2021 model production. I am pretty sure that's what happened to a member here, "splitwdw", who put in an order late last year.

I talked with the large GM dealer in Maryland last week who sells a lot of Vettes. He's the one who said 18 months minimum for a new order. I give up and will be looking at C5's and up used. I may just say forget it at this time and look for something else that lights my old fire. LOL

I'll have a C5 for sale when I get my Bronco.... But I need to resolve why "Active Handling" comes on by itself on dry pavement.

I think there may be a TSB on that issue related to the steering sensor. I remember reading about the issue on the Corvette forum when I was researching C5 and C6 common problems.

It may be a while before a new Bronco shows up in your driveway! But they sure look like a lot of fun!

Yep I saw the same thing about the steering sensor on Corvette forum. Brought it to a "certified Corvette Tech" at a big chevy dealer and explained it to him, but he couldn't figure out the problem. So I've lived with it for the past 3 years.

Yep I saw the same thing about the steering sensor on Corvette forum. Brought it to a "certified Corvette Tech" at a big chevy dealer and explained it to him, but he couldn't figure out the problem. So I've lived with it for the past 3 years.

I suppose you can have the wheel sensors checked too. Or just disable traction control permanently. :blush:

Some of the later model auto code readers can pinpoint ABS and traction control issues.

Elon needs to invent wireless charging on the fly for longer trips:D
If I recall correctly, the real "Tesla" was working on something like that over 100 years ago. (e.g. Wardenclyffe Tower)

As much as I dislike EV's, I will say, the real "Telsa" (a.k.a. Nikola) was absolutely brilliant and Elon seems to be cut from the same cloth, except he knows how to capitalize on his brilliance.

Last edited:
If I recall correctly, the real "Tesla" was working on something like that over 100 years ago. (e.g. Wardenclyffe Tower)

As much as I dislike EV's, I will say, the real "Telsa" (a.k.a. Nikola) was absolutely brilliant and Elon seems to be cut from the same cloth, except he knows how to capitalize on his brilliance.

Musk unlocked 2.1 Billion worth of stock options today due to Tesla's success. He certainly does know how to capitalize on it.

That's the great thing about electrics - every morning they are charged up and ready to go. You can cross visits to the fueling station off your "to-do" list. I never realized how much of a benefit this was until I bought one.

Actually, I can't take credit for this, my lovely wife came up with the idea. I thought she was crazy until I experienced it first-hand.:blush:

Considering we put less than 5,000 miles a year on our cars, we don't spend a bunch of time at the gas station.

I think it would be wise to wait a couple of years anyway. I think that's wise to work out the kinks in a brand new vehicle. I do think that the first run of them will be worth a good chunk of change in the future.

Elon needs to invent wireless charging on the fly for longer trips:D

Elon will release wireless charging on the fly as soon as Exxon-Mobil releases mobile tanker refueling stations.

The fastest Version 3 Superchargers now allow top-ups in 15 minutes but the Version 2's are already too fast for me to grab some fast food and coffee and take a leak so only of a benefit if you don't need a road break. I generally need a short break every 3 hours anyway.

I've been travelling with combustion engines my entire life except for the last 2 years. I actually prefer the EV for long trips.

Considering we put less than 5,000 miles a year on our cars, we don't spend a bunch of time at the gas station.

A Tesla will still eliminate the few trips you do have to make to re-fuel. Also, even low mileage cars need regular oil changes because oil degrades just sitting there with the acids from the combustion by-products. Tesla's do not need oil and filter changes either. You literally just unplug them and drive.:)

A low mileage driver like yourself can literally go years without doing a single thing to them. Eventually you will need to replace the tires and fill the washer fluid.

I think it would be wise to wait a couple of years anyway. I think that's wise to work out the kinks in a brand new vehicle. I do think that the first run of them will be worth a good chunk of change in the future.

As old as some of us are getting, waiting a couple of years is like leaving some fun on the table. :LOL:

As old as some of us are getting, waiting a couple of years is like leaving some fun on the table. :LOL:

I know it would be wise to wait a couple of years. But like aja8888 says, we are getting old.

So I reserved online just now.

Looks like Tesla decided to build it's new factory in Texas. Just what we don't need. Although, it does seem appropriate that they are building it near Austin.

Back
Top Bottom