Nook readers: Will you lose your ebook library?

REWahoo

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give
I don't have a Nook, but I've bought a few iBooks and Kindle ebooks both for my iPad. My only reservation is could I lose them one day (probably IMO) presumably to newer apps/compatibility? We will probably all read books via a big library in "the cloud" one day anywho...one day, not necessarily soon.

Last edited:
This was one of the considerations we factored-in when deciding between Nook and Kindle - which system was least likely to go belly-up in the long-term. We chose to go with Kindle because Amazon.com was so much bigger than B&N, and more importantly, we believed Amazon.com had much more of its long-term strategic vision wrapped up in making Kindle successful.

However, I think the article ignores one of the likely scenarios. Before Nook goes away, it'll possibly be ripe to be acquired by someone who would find a reason to keep it going. So actually the status quo - i.e., degradation of the available options (no longer supporting desktop apps) is what I expect to be the worst-case scenario.

I have a couple of Nooks and an iPad. I decrypt all of my ebooks and convert them to ePub format as needed so I can read them on multiple devices and don't have to worry about vendor viability. But I don't post those files for others to share.

Don't people normally back up their e-books on their own PC's as well as having them available in the cloud? Frank and I do. We use Kindles so I don't know if Nook folks normally do that too, but I would assume so.

Don't people normally back up their e-books on their own PC's as well as having them available in the cloud? Frank and I do. We use Kindles so I don't know if Nook folks normally do that too, but I would assume so.
Yes. I'm not worried about losing the book files themselves, I'm worried about the apps changing or disappearing in the long run - like most every software piece eventually. An old Kindle or iPad won't last indefinitely...not sure I'd be happy if I had hundreds of eBooks that became obsolete decades from now. Or a vastly superior eReader comes along that won't read Kindle or iBooks formats (same problem with iTunes).

Last edited:
I have a couple of Nooks and an iPad. I decrypt all of my ebooks and convert them to ePub format as needed so I can read them on multiple devices and don't have to worry about vendor viability. But I don't post those files for others to share.

What a great idea ! I need to learn how to do that.

Yet another reason to stick with print books.

Yes. I'm not worried about losing the book files themselves, I'm worried about the apps changing or disappearing in the long run - like most every software piece eventually. An old Kindle or iPad won't last indefinitely...not sure I'd be happy if I had hundreds of eBooks that became obsolete decades from now. Or a vastly superior eReader comes along that won't read Kindle or iBooks formats (same problem with iTunes).

Calibre is your friend. It's a slightly funky program that can manage a collection of e-books, and convert between formats. It's available for Windows, Mac OSX, and Linux.

Now, some book files from certain vendors have "Digital Rights Management", stuff to keep you from reading books where the seller doesn't want you to. Apprentice Alf is a fellow who can help with that.

http://apprenticealf.wordpress.com/...-simplest-option-for-removing-most-ebook-drm/

These plug-ins work with Calibre to let you bring DRM-loaded book files into the Calibre library, where Calibre can then convert the format to something useable on your favorite devices.

Since I use an old iPod Touch, no longer supported by e-book app vendors, as my travel e-book reader, Calibre lets me load books onto it in a form I can read.

The trend right now is toward leasing books, music and video. While the purchase option isn't going away, the leasing option gives customers the choice of reading, listening to, and seeing what they want for less money, and that works out for them as long as they're mostly enjoying the works once or twice, rather than re-reading, re-listening, re-viewing repeatedly. I personally practically never re-read, or re-view, so for me, renting books (and specifically e-books) and renting video make more sense than buying them. For music, the opposite is the case, but of course, with music and video, they've always been provided in a specific data format subject to obsolescence.

The trend right now is toward leasing books, music and video. While the purchase option isn't going away, the leasing option gives customers the choice of reading, listening to, and seeing what they want for less money,
Where can you lease books? Best sellers?

I do that today. Doesn't your library offer ebooks?
I get a lot of ebooks from the library but lots of stuff isn't licensed to libraries as ebooks - or maybe some publishers charge too much and libraries decline. I still get most of my books in solid form from the library. Almost everything I want is available that way.

We've used Amazon Prime for that. It includes the ability to borrow from a selection of books.

Just an observation, travel books like Rick Steves and Fodors suck as ebooks. We purchased a paperback copy of Rick Steve's Paris before our recent trip because it is far more usable. Ebooks need some way to fan though the pages at high speed looking for the section you want. Maybe with some of the kinetic stuff they are working on and flexible readers it will be possible some day. :)

I do that today. Doesn't your library offer ebooks?
Yes, but only since last year with a very limited selection so far in our little berg. I am sure that will improve in time...

I still check out books and read magazines at our local library on average weekly. While I've always cherished physical books, I am reluctant to buy them anymore unless it's a book I know I will refer to repeatedly (non-fiction). I've only bought a few online books so far (because of my concern with [planned] obsolescence) because they're so much cheaper than hardcover. Most of what I've downloaded has been free (some great classics mostly).

Again, I'm convinced all books will be in the cloud one day (just not sure when) except those that are collectors items, sorta like antiques. And one day brick-n-mortar libraries will be unnecessary as well (yes I know that sends shivers down some spines, but it's just a matter of time, though not soon - somewhere between 10 and 100 years).

Last edited:
I've never read an ebook although I have a nice little kindle that was a promo gift, sitting in a drawer, only because I always have a pile of library books next to our bed. (We haven't traveled for more than a few days since I got the kindle, and I'm sure I would use it then although it will kill me to have to pay for the books to get what I want).

But personally, I am done with owning books in any form unless they are special for some reason (in which case I'd be buying a paper book), so it wouldn't bother me if my electronic files were to go poof decades later.

I've never read an ebook although I have a nice little kindle that was a promo gift, sitting in a drawer, only because I always have a pile of library books next to our bed. (We haven't traveled for more than a few days since I got the kindle, and I'm sure I would use it then although it will kill me to have to pay for the books to get what I want).
If you enjoy cheap thrillers, enroll in bookbub. They send out a daily email with ebook bargains ($1-$3) and a few free ebooks from Amazon and B&N. Occasionally there is a free entry in a decent mystery/thriller series - they try to lure you in so you will buy others by the author. Check out the reviews on anything that catches your attention and "buy" it for $0 is it sounds good. No risk in trying free.

Yes, but only since last year with a very limited selection so far in our little berg. I am sure that will improve in time...

It might be worthwhile to check out some of the libraries in the other cities/counties in your area, sometimes they allow memberships from anyone living in state. My local county library here in Arizona has a limited selection of ebooks but I also have a membership (free) in the Tucson (Pima county) library system that has a much better selection. Could also get a membership in the Phoenix library system but they want a small membership fee for out of county residents.

Back
Top Bottom