Pineapple at Costco

calmloki

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Just an FYI - had one of the Maui Gold pineapples from Costlyco - I've not had anything like it before. Not that I'm a big pineapple eater, being mostly used to canned, but dang - that's some sweet mellow eating, not stringy and pucker making tangy. Dunno if they get to all the Costcos, but keep an eye out..

I learned a pineapple buying rule and perhaps Nords the grower can confirm it.

Supposedly the pineapple has a set amount of sugar in it and converts this sugar to sponsor growth of the green "top". So you choose pineapples with the smallest "leaves" and those are going to be the sweetest and juiciest.

Since I started using that method, it seems to be true.

And yeah, costco pineapples are good AND pretty cheap to boot.

I'll second that, we had a great Maui Gold recently.

Another tip: they don't get ripen or get sweeter as they sit on the counter, so there's no reason wait before eating them.

i've never done the cost/benefit analysis of the costco pineapple, they are yummy - but seem so expensive. of course, cutting up that prickly pineapple can be a pain too...but then again, there are those cool pineapple corer things...he he and we always need more kitchen gadgets i may never use...

I learned a pineapple buying rule and perhaps Nords the grower can confirm it.
Supposedly the pineapple has a set amount of sugar in it and converts this sugar to sponsor growth of the green "top". So you choose pineapples with the smallest "leaves" and those are going to be the sweetest and juiciest.
No clue-- wouldn't the sugar-free pineapples also have small green tops?

The nice thing about planting pineapples is that they take up a lot of yard space and don't need much water or attention. Fruit is an unexpected bonus.

Maui Golds are yummy, and one of the best resarch products to come out of the labs. It was supposed to help save the industry from Thai & Malaysian imports but I don't think that's gonna happen.

i've never done the cost/benefit analysis of the costco pineapple, they are yummy - but seem so expensive. of course, cutting up that prickly pineapple can be a pain too...but then again, there are those cool pineapple corer things...he he and we always need more kitchen gadgets i may never use...

You might already have all the gadget you need. Have an electric knife?

Lay the pineapple on its side, use the electric knife to remove the top and bottom, then place it on its now flat bottom and 'slice' off the skin in ~1-2" strips. Now slice between the core and the flesh four times, turning the pineapple 90 degrees between slices.

hehe, no electric knife here...but i did recently see someone on top chef cut off the top and bottom and use a large knife, and rolled the pineapple clean of the skin - might try that! the corer is still cool though because then you can use the remains and fill it up w/ something...for all those parties i cater...ha!

i love alton brown, perfect combo of geek and gourmet.

nords - he did say smaller stalk is better, half green, half yellow...mental note to self!

sniff, thump, measure...

There's nothing like fresh pineapple (and supposedly it's wonderful grilled---something on my to do list).

Calmloki, do you remember how much the pineapple is at Costco? I'm not a member, but if prices are really lower, would join. Today I bought a pineapple for $2.99 at the local Korean store.

Greg eats a lot of pineapple. Often he can find them for two for five bucks at the local grocery.

The really good ones are flown around, often labeled as "jet" pineapples. So the further east you are, the more expensive they might be.

A little over two bucks a pop at costco and sams around here.

There's nothing like fresh pineapple (and supposedly it's wonderful grilled---something on my to do list).

Calmloki, do you remember how much the pineapple is at Costco? I'm not a member, but if prices are really lower, would join. Today I bought a pineapple for $2.99 at the local Korean store.

Just checked the reciept - $3.29. My 10" kitchen knife made short work of peeling: lop the top and bottom, slice skin off in strips, 1/4, slice out the sorta woody core. I was happier with it raw than cooked, (stuck it in a covered pan with a little water, added some vanilla and some peach liquor, dolloped it all around some Breyer's vanilla ice cream - great sauce, so-so pineapple). $5.49 for the tuscan melon (read:elongated stripey cantaloupe), which was not worthwhile, perhaps because I got a pair that was too green.

The really good ones are flown around, often labeled as "jet" pineapples. So the further east you are, the more expensive they might be.

A little over two bucks a pop at costco and sams around here.

Hmm. Salem Oregon Costco here - maybe you are near a hub airport?

Not far from Sac, Fresno, San Fran and Oakland...oakland takes a lot of freight.

Eh - it's a California thing - your booze is cheaper too. I enjoy the thrill of buying hooch in Costco or Stater's and carting it back with me in the checked luggage when we fly out of Palm Springs.

Our milk's dirt cheap too. Although its gone up a bit lately. Until last month it was under four bucks for two gallons of milk.

Its been a long time since I bought booze elsewhere, but it was a big thrill when I moved here from MA to buy beer in a drugstore at 2am on a sunday.

By the way, I believe you can buy booze at costco/sams club in most states without a membership.

aah - i thought at first you were talking about the pre-cut pineapples in the fridge section at costco - that ones around $8 bucks a pack? not sure how many individual pineapples it is- maybe 1-1.5...so that is the expensive one...

WooHoo Costco pineapples are only $2 sometime $2.50. Finally something on the islands cheaper than the mainland.

Back
Top Bottom