Pitchman Billy Mays Found Dead

Few people realize how much this man contributed to the world.
Have we forgotten:
We are the Oxiclean World
Oxi Glo, She's My Girl

FAA has blamed his death on not wearing a seat belt during landing. After considerable online discussion about that - FAA spokesman now says they never said that. Maybe more to the story.

Moral: Blows to the head should be taken seriously even if you feel fine.

Yes, the FAA has jumped quickly on the "it's not our fault" bandwagon haven't they?

But why would it be the FAA's fault? If there is fault with anyone but the person not wearing the seatbelt (an idea I personally reject), it would be with the airline for not having its flight crew confirming that everyone had their seat belts on. How the FAA would be at fault is beyond me.

Having said that, as long as the passengers were duly told they needed their seat belts fastened, a competent adult should be able to assume the responsibility for their own choice to not comply.

Anyway, it seems like we're jumping the gun until and unless an autopsy confirms head injuries contributed to the death.

Last edited:
Not disagreeing with you, ziggy29, but they did jump on it fast...so fast it was like they were trying to protect the airline for wrongdoing.

Not disagreeing with you, ziggy29, but they did jump on it fast...so fast it was like they were trying to protect the airline for wrongdoing.
OK -- I can see that. Maybe they were CYA on behalf of the airline, but the FAA itself wouldn't seem to be liable for anything. I don't know that the FAA can be sued anyway.

The airlines charge for checked bags so more and more folks are putting heavy items in the overhead bins. This slows loading and unloading the plane and takes away from safety. I would be happy if we went back to under seat storage only.

As to Billy, news said autopsy results at 12 eastern. So, then we will know.

Breaking news..... no evidence of head trauma, no history of drug abuse, looks like heart related.

As an aside, when/if safety rises in importance, probably the single best way to improve the crash survivability of commercial aircraft would be to reverse the seats (have everyone face the back of the airplane). Unlike a car (where impacts can come from any direction), virtually all crash-related acceleration in an airplane pushes the passengers toward the nose of the plane. Spreading this impact over the large surface of the back and supporting the head/neck with the seatback is a much better solution than holding the pelvis with a thin strap and allowing the body to jacknife forward. This is the way seating is configured on many military passenger aircraft and it works just fine, but I'm sure commercial passengers would object. In a perfect world I'd also further restrict overhead storage, make simple smoke-hoods available for everyone, and mandate that all liferafts be located at the doors or in the wings (on some jetliners a few of the rafts are in the overhead storage area over middle seats and would have to be passed over the heads of the passengers to the door. Does anyone think that's going to work during an actual evacuation?)

Has anyone studied the health effects of swirling your naked hand around in a fishbowl full of OxiClean every day?

Then again, a slick lawyer could try to make the argument that the incident induced a stress that may have triggered his demise.

Locally 3 years back, the widow of an executive who died from a heart attack tried to sue the company he worked for, saying that stress caused his heart to fail. It didn't go far, as an expert witness described in breathless detail not only the fact that the executive was overweight, but was a smoker for 30 years and had THREE untreated medical problems........:nonono:

Has anyone studied the health effects of swirling your naked hand around in a fishbowl full of OxiClean every day?
The autopsy conducted Monday morning revealed Mays suffered from hypertensive heart disease, Adams said.
"It's not uncommon to have a sudden death with this kind of disease," Adams said.
Whew, what a relief. I'd heard a conspiracy theory that enraged fans avenged themselves on Billy Mays because they held him responsible for addicting Michael Jackson to Oxi-Clean...

Back
Top Bottom