Poll:Do You Have PPF On Any Of Your Cars?

Do You Have/Have Had PPF On My Car?

• Yes, full PPF

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Yes, front/partial PPF

Votes: 24 28.2%
  • No, or what’s PPF?

Votes: 59 69.4%

• Total voters

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I’ve never had it before, but I’m looking into it for the front bumper only.

Yes I realize most readers will say ‘what’s PPF?’ Just ignore this thread.

But I know there are some car guys/gals here too.

Last edited:
Nope - Never had any vinyl/leather/etc covers/bras but I do use ceramic coatings (if that counts in your book)

Last edited:
I have a Jeep Rubicon and the redesigned ones - 2018 and newer - have a design flaw that kicks gravel from the front tires onto the rear fender flares. So I have a partial on those. It helps.

I’ve never had it before, but I’m looking into it for the front bumper only.

Yes I realize most readers will say ‘what’s PPF?’ Just ignore this thread.

But I know there are some car guys/gals here too.

Hey, some of us are up for learning new things. I did not know what PPF was. Now I do, and I'm curious what people have to say about it.

Is it OK with you if I don't ignore this thread? :)

-ERD50

I saw various cars with this protection on front bumpers and found it to be effective at reducing rock damage. It does add additional cost when repairs are warranted due to damage. Collision repair business for 18 years.

Not sure why you would want it. That film is not going to help you if a piece of gravel is flung up by a vehicle in from of you or you pull too far forward on a concrete parking barrier. I try to remove any bug splats, bird poop, things like that when they happen. If we are on a road trip with one of the car clubs we usually clean up the cars when we get to the overnight destination. If you aren't talking about the film, the bras, if not fitted properly, can rub the paint off in spots.

There ought to be a rule, if an Acronym or sme such is used, do define it.

There ought to be a rule, if an Acronym or sme such is used, do define it.

I'd like a rule for some of the old-time references, songs, videos to be explained. Not all of us grew up with the Beatles or Betty Boop. LOL

Not sure why you would want it. That film is not going to help you if a piece of gravel is flung up by a vehicle in from of you or you pull too far forward on a concrete parking barrier. I try to remove any bug splats, bird poop, things like that when they happen. If we are on a road trip with one of the car clubs we usually clean up the cars when we get to the overnight destination. If you aren't talking about the film, the bras, if not fitted properly, can rub the paint off in spots.
There are hundreds of customers with experiences that contradict your assumption. PPF has definitely prevented, or lessened, rock chips/paint damage from gravel and other small projectiles, but that doesn't mean it will stop any and all damages from larger objects. There are actual cases all over YouTube if you want to take a look, including gravel kicked up from trucks ahead.

No one expects it to help with an actual collision...

Last edited:
Wraps and such seem to be quite popular with a younger crowd.
I don't see any point in protecting an entire car - at a cost of $5500+. But I am considering reducing the worst of it, front bumper & mirrors, for $7-800? The other surfaces will receive 'glancing' blows, not as direct as a frontal areas - on a Tesla with no grill, it's all painted surface up front. :blush: Every car I have ever owned had some small rock chips, and it is just a car after all, so I can accept some damage and prevent the worst of it maybe...

I have been putting PPF on our cars for about the last 10 years (all 3 current ones have it). I do the hoods and sometimes the bumper/front. I always put on myself (a pain, but doable). I am convinced it helps with bugs/rocks. I always use 3m scotchgard.

Is it OK with you if I don't ignore this thread? :)

-ERD50

Maybe midpack is afraid we'll go off the rails and start talking about the PPE required to pull electric meters.:LOL:

The stealth wraps are kinda of cool with their satin sheen finish while (sort of) preserving the original color.

i’ve never had it before, but i’m looking into it for the front bumper only.

Yes i realize most readers will say ‘what’s ppf?’ [-]just ignore this thread.[/-] [for those that don't know what ppf is (for vehicles) it is paint protection film.]

but i know there are some car guys/gals here too.

Fify

Last edited:
I don't see any point in protecting an entire car - at a cost of $5500+. But I am considering reducing the worst of it, front bumper & mirrors, for $7-800? The other surfaces will receive 'glancing' blows, not as direct as a frontal areas - on a Tesla with no grill, it's all painted surface up front. :blush: Every car I have ever owned had some small rock chips, and it is just a car after all, so I can accept some damage and prevent the worst of it maybe...

Hard to say. We have a few tiny chips in front. Our Model X front isn’t a solid wall either and we have a front license plate breaking it up.

DH does plan to get the touch up paint kit, but we don’t need it yet.

I must not as have never heard of that acronym :).

Yes, we have the paint protection film (?-never called it that) on both of our cars, guaranteed for life and has been replaced on one. It is on the whole front end of the car, inner door handles where nails or whatever is in your hands, might scrape. It was already on one when we bought it, and DH added it to the second. Cars are 7 years old.
It has protected the bumper on a concrete scrape--paint was OK the film was scraped, so we had it replaced.
So far, no dings, scratches, paint chips.

I must not as have never heard of that acronym :).
I looked it up, and the acronym stands for Paint Protection Film.

I couldn't care less. I don't even WASH my car regularly, much less pay for extra "paint protection". Ridiculous (IMO).

Now if I was the Queen of England, maybe. But I'm not (and neither is anyone else here, AFAIK).

Yes, we have the paint protection film (?-never called it that) on both of our cars, guaranteed for life and has been replaced on one. It is on the whole front end of the car, inner door handles where nails or whatever is in your hands, might scrape. It was already on one when we bought it, and DH added it to the second. Cars are 7 years old.
It has protected the bumper on a concrete scrape--paint was OK the film was scraped, so we had it replaced.
So far, no dings, scratches, paint chips.

How much was the replacement cost ?

How much was the replacement cost ?
From approx $800 (front only) to $6000+ (whole car). There's usually an intermediate option for about $2K (front bumper, hood, front fenders, mirrors, A-pillar). If you choose bulk vs pre-cut for a very expensive, highly shaped car it can hit $10K. Not all installers or application methods are created equal, you get what you pay for as usual.

https://ezautospa.com/services/ppf-paint-protection-film/pricing/

Last edited:
Now if I was the Queen of England, maybe. But I'm not (and neither is anyone else here, AFAIK).
Pretty safe bet, at this point in time.

I never knew that a clear wrap was shortened to PPF.

Nope. I never used it. Mine is a car, with all of it's blemishes. It is not an investment. If it were an investment, it would not be driven. I like driving. I've never seen a deduction made at tradein for a few chips on a 10 year old car. Even my fun cars haven't had PPF film.

I take that back, the dealer applied a clear PPF to the trailing door edges on my recent Hyundai purchase for an exorbitant fee that was not negotiable (last year during car availability shortages).

Actually, the paint on my older vehicle, and DH's newer vehicle (both with lots of milage) are in good shape.

Barring a really high-priced vehicle, I don't see much value in this.

Back
Top Bottom