Poll:Do You Have PPF On Any Of Your Cars?

Do You Have/Have Had PPF On My Car?

• Yes, full PPF

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Yes, front/partial PPF

Votes: 24 28.2%
  • No, or what’s PPF?

Votes: 59 69.4%

• Total voters
Added it to the front bumper and headlights for $800 shortly after getting my Tesla. 27K miles and no damage so far.

Nope. Don't drive it enough to worry about protection since retired.
With Online banking,deliveries,walking,bike,etc. there's no reason to drive much. Also travel a lot. I've spent more time in an Uber on way to the airport than in my own car last year.

Haven't even been to the gas station since topping off tank over a year ago.

PPF

I really believe in PPF had it on the front and sides of my subaru as I was worried about scratches when driving thru brush. It worked great. I will also say it is fantastic also if you go thru a car wash often. I washed it couple times a week. You could see swirl marks from the brushes whereever there was no coverage but anywhere it was covered looked perfect. Probably went through the car wash 100 times in the years I owned it. The car was totaled by a left turner and the PPF stuck right on the paint til the end. It is fantastic in protecting against abrasion and small chips in the hood. I now get all my cars done in the front end.

For my current Porsche 911, NOT having PPF would diminish the value of the car in any future resale. It's pretty essential to protect the paintwork from being shot blasted by road debris. Also living in Arizona there are always small rocks and other unmentionable things hitting you.

PPF really works and has protected my front from some significant impacts, but getting it done by a recommended independent rather than a dealer/stealer usually makes more financial sense.

There ought to be a rule, if an Acronym or sme such is used, do define it.

Seems like it used to be common courtesy to at least write it out the 1st time, the use the acronym after that.

Not so much anymore.

Luckily I’m familiar with PPF, but many of the others frustrate me. That said, I have a ZL1 that has a couple problem spots protected ��

Last edited:
What's wrong with a few dings, scrapes and scratches.

It adds character [emoji41]

We are now on our fourth modern Corvette, always red.

The first two (traded at 66k and 40k miles) had a few minor chips & scratches but nothing serious. I hadn't even heard of PPF back then and didn't really miss it.

The third one got the front bumper and hood seriously sand/gravel-blasted when almost new in just a few seconds when we suddenly drove into an area of junk all over the road. Hundreds of freckles where the red color had chipped off to expose the white primer underneath. Ugh.

I took it to a high end body shop, they said they could match the color perfectly. But they also said "Remember, the best paint your car will ever have is the paint it came out of the factory with". Hmm.
I just touched up as many of the freckles as I could, but it bothered me until the day I traded it at 102k miles.

Our current 'vette got the XPel wrap in the first week for about $2,000; did the front bumper, hood, front of front fenders, headlights, mirrors, rocker panels, and rear spoiler. Now at 5 yrs/54k, we just had the film replaced on the rockers and rear spoiler for about $500.

There are a very few very small nicks in the film, but it has protected the car very well. Even up close, it looks more like 5k miles instead of 54k.
Was it worth the money? Depends how you feel about your car. I'm not sure I'd do it on another new 'vette, but am glad I did it on this one.

We don't even consider getting it on our grocery-getters.

Ferrari 458 with PPF

I have a 2014 Ferrari 458 Spyder and have partial PPF along with ceramic coating on it. PPF covers the entire front (bumper, hood, side panels, rocker panels, door handles) as well as the rear view mirrors and immediately behind the rear wheels. Ceramic coating covers the entire car. It has absolutely been worth every penny. Considering the cost of the car and the effort to keep it looking pristine, the protection against small rock chips has been noticeable and significant. The car is 9 years old and looks like it's show room new.

Would I put PPF on a $20k Kia Forte daily driver? No. Would I put PPF on a car that I want to look great for 10+ years and protect it's value? Absolutely.

Attachments

• 20220318_100840.jpg
    20220318_100840.jpg
    560.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 20220313_123158.jpg
    20220313_123158.jpg
    933.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 20220312_113611.jpg
    20220312_113611.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 10
Last edited:
On my car, it's a section on the upper surface of the rear bumper to protect when pulling things in and out of the trunk.

Same here, I am careful, and there is a black molding put there to help, but of course it doesn't wrap over the edge of the bumper when is where drag marks will show.

Our 2017 Corvette has a rear spoiler maybe 6" high just behind the trunk. We bought what they call a "bumper protector", we call it a "diaper"- like a blanket that attaches inside the rear lip of the trunk. When loading/unloading luggage, flip it out to cover the vulnerable area; flip back inside before closing the trunk.
Works well, you can even make one from a thick blanket cut to proper size.

Yes - I've used it on multiple cars - partial and full wrap. I keep my cars for years because I buy them. It has protected against scrapes, scratches, chips and dings from road debris, protruding tree branches, etc. I care what my car looks like - it's a hobby of mine - so in my eyes it is a worthwhile investment. Using PPF is a preference - and for me it make sense.

Attachments

• 20221109_043032112_iOS.jpg
    20221109_043032112_iOS.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Questions (if I'm allowed?).

Would I notice PPF on a car in the parking lot? Is it fairly obvious, or does it take a good eye to spot it? How thick is that film?

-ERD50

Questions (if I'm allowed?).

Would I notice PPF on a car in the parking lot? Is it fairly obvious, or does it take a good eye to spot it? How thick is that film?

-ERD50
You'd be hard pressed to spot a partial* clear gloss PPF even if you're looking for it if the install was well done. It would be almost impossible for a full car PPF unless it was a horrible install. Most of the films I've looked at were 8-10 mils, evidently there's some 12 mil.

* some people just do front bumper, some front bumper-hood-front fenders-mirrors-A pillar, and some do the whole car

Last edited:
I have Xpel on my cars - runs about 7-1/2 mil thick. Self-heals if scratched unless it's a deep scratch. High gloss and in my opinion look better than the original paint. You need to look for it - so noticing it in a parking lot is unlikely. A good installer will wrap around edges, remove trim and emblems etc. so it is even more 'hidden' from view. I'd recommend looking up Xpel's website and research installers to see their work in person if you're interested in having something like this installed. Price out what you want vs. need as well to make a good decision.

2021 Toyota Highlander (Partial PPF) $618

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    20 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
I have PPF (front half and metal handles in passenger compartment) on a white car with stripe decals. The installer did not put PPF on the stripe decals - he cut around them because they were sort of iridescent and that feature would have been blocked by the film. I was worried that the PPF would not hold because it had so many edges.

The film is 10 years old now and still looks great. Just a few scuffs from deflected gravel and road debris.

10/10 would do it again

Another Q:

Seems people are very happy with their PPF. Are any car companies offering a colored PPF, skipping the paint altogether (just a primer)? Seems that would be cheaper than what some people are doing, a full body PPF. And even for those just doing a partial, the cost would be offset somewhat from the full paint and covering it with PPF.

https://nathansdetailing.com/tesla-color-ppf/

-ERD50

So how much does PPF cost versus ceramic coating?

I've just inherited an older Suburban (2011) that wasn't driven much.

Planned on just having it detailed & ceramic coated but am now considering PPF.

So how much does PPF cost versus ceramic coating?

I've just inherited an older Suburban (2011) that wasn't driven much.

Planned on just having it detailed & ceramic coated but am now considering PPF.
PPF costs from $700+ front bumper panel only to $5000+ for full car professionally applied. But they just aren’t comparable. Ceramic protects paint and maybe minor scratches, whereas PPF will protect against deeper scratches and even rock/projectile chips to a point. PPF is 7-10 miles thick, ceramic is a coating - roughly 1 micron thick. So PPF is about 200 times as thick. PPF can last 10-20 years, ceramic 1-5 years.

https://www.raynofilm.com/blog/whats-best-ppf-vs-ceramic-coating-or-both

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom