• Male

Votes: 191 66.3%
  • Other, feel free to explain

Votes: 5 1.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

omni550

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
In the ER marriage proposal thread (running concurrently) there was some wondering/discussion about the gender balance on the ER forum.

I know I ran a poll like this a long time ago, but I can't find it atm.

I think the %s have changed a bit, with more women joining the forum lately.

Here's a new poll so we can determine the gender balance of the current membership posting here.

omni

Last edited:
This will require some work on my part. I’ll have to log on thru the web site not the app but I will vote on this poll.

Moe women here than I would have thought. Good to see, since they will be living longer and running the money eventually anyway.

Yep - just checked... Still male. Maybe not as much testosterone as in years gone by, but the plumbing is present and intact! :dance:

Hell of a day. Started by waking up on this side of the dirt. Spent the day working (well, more like playing, but with expensive man toys) at the hunting camp, and now this thread!

I am trying to put as much misinformation out on the web as I can. I love getting b'day messages on one of my un-birthdays. If I vote I may vote twice so I can say I only lie half the time.

I am still waiting for the explanation for the "Other" response.

I'd like to be a hermaphrodite as I could then go ...

I am still waiting for the explanation for the "Other" response.
It said feel free to explain. It didn't say you *must* explain.

It's not me. I'm female.

I suspect, given the size of the membership here it might be someone who doesn't define their gender in a binary fashion. Nothing wrong with that.

So about 70/30 so far. I guessed 80/20, so there are more women here than I thought. That's good. It's hard to find places on the internet that aren't male dominated (at least in the circles I travel). I guess it's also part of why the culture here seems more polite and restrained than most -- or maybe it's vice versa, meaning that the polite/constrained culture feels more comfortable for women, and so they stick around here, whereas they might depart more testosteroney environments.

I'd like to be a hermaphrodite as I could then go ...

I guess you would never leave the house then, but you still can have your Alaskan sent food.:D

It said feel free to explain. It didn't say you *must* explain.

It's not me. I'm female.

I suspect, given the size of the membership here it might be someone who doesn't define their gender in a binary fashion. Nothing wrong with that.

Hi there
I actually took the response as being from one of local forum jokesters, but in reference to your response, there was no harm intended on my part if it is indeed a serious response.

So about 70/30 so far. I guessed 80/20, so there are more women here than I thought. That's good. It's hard to find places on the internet that aren't male dominated (at least in the circles I travel).

Agree. I have a sports team forum I visit regularly and we've been slowly losing all our female members because of some really loud men who are just jerks. It is heavily moderated, but the mods turned over and the most recent group are a bit too lenient. I'm visiting less and less myself.

So about 70/30 so far. I guessed 80/20, so there are more women here than I thought. That's good. It's hard to find places on the internet that aren't male dominated (at least in the circles I travel).

I think it may depend upon subjects. For example, I've been members of some groups that have tended to be more female dominated (although all have some male members) including groups that have focus on some aspects of (1) weight loss, (2) reading, (3) machine embroidery, (4) adoption -- both for adoptees and adoptive parents as I am both, (5) GT (for parents of GT kids), (6) parenting (various aspects), and (6) cosmetic surgery.

I think it may depend upon subjects. For example, I've been members of some groups that have tended to be more female dominated (although all have some male members) including groups that have focus on some aspects of (1) weight loss, (2) reading, (3) machine embroidery, (4) adoption -- both for adoptees and adoptive parents as I am both, (5) GT (for parents of GT kids), (6) parenting (various aspects), and (6) cosmetic surgery.

Yes, I'm sure that's right. Depends on the subject. I visit sites focused on politics, men's issues, videogames, religion, and psychology. All of those sites, except the psychology one, are made up mostly of men.

I've spent time on a couple of skiing forums, and a women's only skiing forum. Big difference. On the women's site, the arguments are few and generally friendly, and the disrespect, contempt, and venom are close to zero.

Not much to argue about when it comes to skiing. I get your point, though. Men do tend to be more aggressive than women, more interested in debating ideas, less conflict-avoidant, more competitive and direct. But it's not just men. Check out some feminist forums/blogs if you'd like to see some examples of female toxicity.

One of the main problems, generally speaking, is that there is a sizable percentage of young men on the internet who just enjoy being assholes. It's not most, not half, just a small minority, but they are vocal, and a little bit of that nastiness can go a long way to poisoning the well. ER.org doesn't have that problem, because by its nature it attracts an older crowd.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom