Poll: Would you stop to pick up a penny?

Would You Pick Up a Penny That You Found?

• I always would

Votes: 70 46.1%
  • I never would

Votes: 41 27.0%
  • Would depend on the situation.

Votes: 41 27.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
There was one of those news shows that did a segment on picking up actual dollars...

But, it was buried in dog poo....

I can not remember it that well, but there were a number of people who did pick it up... I think the higher the value, the more took it...

Yes, I pick up pennies. They are tax free!

I pick them up as I say, "I'm working on my next million $".

omni

We do, and the reason is . . . a closely held secret known only to DW, I and a select few around us. Has something to do with june bugs, singing do wah diddy and the color orange. That's all I am saying about it. ;)

If I was younger, maybe..but heck just last year, my back went out on me for a week, just because I picked up a tshirt off the floor. I have a $5000 deductible, not risking the deductible for a penny!

Yes! Recently counted up my pennies (nickles, dimes, quarters) that I picked up from several years of walking / running and had over $35.

My penny story from teen years:

Friend drops a penny, I pick it up for her, but she doesn't seem to want it back.

I play with it, flip it, catch it, while chatting, then, absent mindedly pocket it.

NOW she says "where's my penny"!

Yes, I will pick it up. That penny is equal to the interest paid on my checking account each month.

I still do, but it's somewhat superstitious. I figure if there's a God and he see's me ignore the free penny, he'll go..."Oh, too good to pick up a penny eh? Now I'm going to really rain some financial Hell on you!" :LOL:

A part time teacher in the UK lived on a pound a day for a year. She picked up any money she saw on the ground and it covered a third of her annual budget. I tried to copy and paste a link but I am a bit useless, hopefully it will work . I dont often pick money up myself but maybe I should start. find.http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1052710/How-cash-strapped-teacher-beat-credit-crunch-living-1-day-YEAR-drunken-bet.html. Sorry didn't work google pound a day for a year.

Last edited:
I do pick up quarters and things, but when it comes to pennies, I leave for the same reason. Someone either needs it more, or wants it more. A million and one people could get more joy out of that penny than I ever would, whether it's someone excited to retire a nanosecond earlier :)coolsmiley:) or a young kid who wants a bit of luck.
YouTube calculation on the subject.

A penny? You gotta be kidding me. I would pick up a nickle or a dime, maybe a quarter but probably not that either. I'd pick up a dollar and that's worth almost nothing so pennies, nickle and dimes so far down the list of value not gonna happen.

I've been poor enough that I always pick them up. You never know when it might be the last cent you ever get. In fact, I picked one up this week when I was walking. Old and corroded, but it still spends the same.

In fact, I picked one up this week when I was walking. Old and corroded, but it still spends the same.

You shouldn't talk about yourself like that!

;)

I definitely wouldn't pick up a penny.

Probably not a nickel, maybe a dime. Those would depend on the circumstance.

A quarter is the lowest denomination I can say I'd "definitely" pick up.

I will always pick up a penny. When DW is with me, she usually spots the penny first and she picks it up.

We love the real copper wheat penny.

Last edited:
I used to pick up every penny I saw. Lately, it's been not worth it to me. The ground is a long way down for me and a penny is just not worth the discomfort. If i'm already on the ground or have another reason to go to the ground then i'll pick up a penny.

I used to, but I don't as often now. I end up using the antibacterial gel after I touch money, and it's just not worth it.

When I was a paperboy it was always fun to sort through all the coins customers paid their weekly bill with and find the collectible ones. Amazing what you could find back then. Nowadays I still pick up coins wherever and always check the date and condition. They are then, along with the rest of the loose change, dropped into a can that gets turned into real money once a year or so.

A penny? You gotta be kidding me. I would NOT pick up a nickle or a dime, maybe a quarter but probably not that either. I'd pick up a dollar and that's worth almost nothing so pennies, nickle and dimes so far down the list of value not gonna happen.

editted to add NOT. jeesh it really does make a difference in the meaning of the post! :facepalm:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom