Rats..... too smart for my own good

Nuiloa

Recycles dryer sheets
I just got back from 6 weeks of camping in absolutely perfect weather. It was so good, in fact, that I decided to move up retirement to this coming January.

So, I go in to talk to the director and tell him that I can either retire or, if they prefer, I would work 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off, which would allow me to travel (and would boost my income by about 10%) I NEVER thought he'd buy into the idea.

Turns out, he thinks it's brilliant, although he did warn me that there's a danger that people will think me redundant if they manage to survive without me for long periods. He said I may need to compromise, but I don't think he quite got what I was saying: it's either 50/50 or 100/0. Either way, I win.

Anyone here ever try that 2 week/month thing?

Nui

My previous company had a option (if you were approved) that you could wo*k a 30, rather than 40 hour week (of course, there was no thing as a 30/40 hour week, in our area - as is normal at a lot of places these days).

Regardless of the option you took, you did have to get your assignments done, regardless of actual time spent.

Those who took the option (mostly for family type support issues) seemed to be as intense - somewhat more so, since their assignments still needed to be completed on time, and they were reviewed, just as the rest of us.

75% pay (100% benefits) but 25% less time to get your "stuff" done? In my case (also discussed during my pre-retirment period), I declned the option.

Just my observation.

I had a friend who had worked at Honeywell. He told me a story of a co-worker there who just quit showing up one day. Evidently it took months and months to figure out what happened, and stop the paychecks that went out to this fellow.

No need to formerly retire... Just quit coming and see how long it takes em' to figure it out.

Then when you get the angry call come in for another day or week or whatever. Then repeat this process.

Money for nuthin' and your checks for free

For the last few months before retirement, I took a lot of vacation time. I was pretty much working one week, then vacationing for two weeks, and repeat.

The stress reduction was outstanding, and for me it really eased the transition to retirement.

Management loved it because the new hire could learn to work independently, but knowing that I would arrive like the cavalry on white horses every two weeks "to the rescue"if there were problems.

I think you will love it. :)

Last edited:
Maybe you'll be lucky and you can compromise your way into a severance package if the company decides you're redundant. But til then, your schedule sounds wonderful!

Back
Top Bottom