Remember These Chain Restaurants ? They're Still Hanging On

The one I've thought about most often and absolutely loved as a kid is Zantigo. Kind of like a Taco Bell, but (IMHO) much, much better. Their specialty was the Chilito, which they described as a "soft flour tortilla painted with our famous mild red chili sauce, covered with shredded cheese."

Apparently this chain still exists, but, sadly, only in Minneapolis. Back in the late 70s they had locations all over, including my little home town near metro Atlanta. Haven't seen one anywhere, though, in well over 30 years.

https://www.zantigo.com/menu.php

My second husband proposed to me at Bennigan's . It was so romantic in an odd way . He just slid the ring over as we were eating Chicken enchilda's .

Dog N Suds was one of my main hang outs in high school. Several of my buddies worked there and so it was the natural gathering place for us.

The owner used to host a touch football game every Thanksgiving that was an annual ritual for many of us even after graduating from high school.

Craig Culver opened his first frozen custard stand in a former Dog N. Suds in Sauk City, Wis. Culver and his brother made that the basis of a very successful fast-food franchise in the Midwest.

I remember visiting the first Culver's when I lived in the area. IIRC, there was a screened-in porch above the canopy that covered the drive-up spaces. I've never seen anything like it before or since, and I don't know whether it was open to the public or part of a private residence.

Edit: Oops, my mistake, it was an A&W that morphed into the first Culver's. Still, I've never seen anything that resembled that screened porch at any A&W.

Last edited:
White Castle!!

It's either a love or hate relationship; I'm of the former, maybe because I love the fried onions on the burgers and well, grease...
I remember when the burgers were 12 cents each, with a coupon from newspaper, you got 5 for 24 cents. My Mom would bring home about a bushel of them, for an excellent cook's night off.

Last time I was back in Covington I stopped in to get a few. They taste the same, I still enjoyed them and the excellent coffee. But wow, the clientele was frightening. I have gone way too soft here in WA.

Ha

Culver's. Don't know if they're outside of the MW region, but...

Butter Burger

'Nuff said.

Lots of Culvers in our area of FLA. Pretty good burger and even better shake.

I'm surprised no one mentioned Der Weinersnitzel
(now that's one that was easily recognizable by the building shape). did any survive?

more recently, we missed Bahama Breeze, which closed quite a few years ago but had some nice meals. (maybe there's some still open down south)

I miss Herfy's Burgers, Farrels Parlor, Shakey's Pizza, and a local Mexican joint called Ricardo's (best greasy taco around!). Thinking back, maybe these joints weren't all that great, but as a kid-------YUMMY!

We had all three in our city when I was growing up. I remember them fondly.

I miss Shakey's Pizza
I loved Shakey's. Reminded me of something else I loved around that time.
29143-albums233-picture1939.jpg
:smitten:

And there is the weird sibling of White Casket (Castle). Krystal Burger. Nothing one should eat, old or sober. Only young and drunk. Really drunk. And young, sorta young, but not sober.

I'm surprised no one mentioned Der Weinersnitzel
(now that's one that was easily recognizable by the building shape). did any survive?

more recently, we missed Bahama Breeze, which closed quite a few years ago but had some nice meals. (maybe there's some still open down south)

I just remember being so shocked it was a hotdog place! I wanted a schnitzel!

I think there was one around here but it disappeared a couple of years ago?

And there is the weird sibling of White Casket (Castle). Krystal Burger. Nothing one should eat, old or sober. Only young and drunk. Really drunk. And young, sorta young, but not sober.

We ate at Krystal fairly often when I was a kid. I don't remember thinking the little square burgers were that great, but, then again, I wasn't a huge fan of hamburgers of any kind until well into high school.

The two I know of are not doing too well. They really are not a good fit in Texas.

I've been a little surprised myself that Culver's has done so well. Apparently they really screen their franchisees and make them jump through a lot of hoops to get on board. The restaurants are quite profitable, according to this somewhat dated Forbes article. https://www.forbes.com/forbes/2003/0609/175.html#2e36ba8b442d

I believe the profit margin -- to me, the menu is pricey. Frozen custard/burger restaurants are common up here, with a lot of independents, and I'd pick most of them over a Culver's. Here's a Milwaukee favorite.

View attachment 31990

Last edited:
Just for the record, the chain was called Sambo's (with nothing else added).

Supposedly named after the founders (Sam Battistone Sr. and Newell Bohnett). Story here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sambo's

Not making a judgement one way or the other, but just setting the record straight.
Used to have breakfast at one in Lafayette, CA in 1973. Similar to Denny's. And regardless of the origin of the name, I recall the decor included a graphic of a dark-skinned child being chased around a tree by a tiger, so ...

Wow. Yes, I remember them.

If I recall, they changed the name to just Sambos, then again to something completely different.

Their add with the tiger chasing Sambo around the palm tree till he jumped up in it and watched the tiger run and run around faster and faster till the tiger became tiger butter was cute. Around that time maybe 1960s, I had never seen a black person in real life, and pretty much only saw Rochester (on Jack Benny show) on TV

Used to have breakfast at one in Lafayette, CA in 1973. Similar to Denny's. And regardless of the origin of the name, I recall the decor included a graphic of a dark-skinned child being chased around a tree by a tiger, so ...

https://thehistorybandits.com/2017/...g-face-of-racism-in-the-anglo-american-world/

"Today, only the Santa Barbara location survives. Chad Stevens, the grandson of Sam Battistone, still runs it under the original name and dreams of expanding the franchise again one day. During an interview in 2014, Stevens told journalist Andrew Romano that he still does “get the occasional complaint,” but he has “a hard time” seeing how the restaurant remains offensive. He reflected, “maybe being white or Anglo-Saxon, maybe I’m not seeing something.”'

Ya' think?!

Valle's (Steak House) 1933 to 2000.

Initially Maine, then New England... later expanded to 14 states.

First encounter was in Maine, in the 1950's. Restaurants were large, serving many hundreds of customers. Low cost high volume... and excellent food. Steaks, but my favorite... Lobsters.. In Boston alone on the "double lobster" Friday night special, total lobster sales for one day... 12,000.

The rest of the week, the Lobster Dinner was $5.75... clam juice cocktail, clam chowder, fried clams, unlimited French fries, and one boiled lobster, plus dessert. (You could... and we did... always order a second lobster for an extra $.75.) The Steak dinners were equally large and inexpensive, and the initial claim to fame.

It was our go-to place when we lived in New England... R.I., Maine, and on Cape Cod.

If the number of lobsters looked large, we understand why... jeanie's sister lives on P.E.I., and our nephew works a lobster boat in season. Still a very big business.

more here on one of our best memories:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valle%27s_Steak_House

Last edited:
I believe the profit margin -- to me, the menu is pricey.
There's been a culvers in my south-central Minnesota town for about 20 years. Agree that the menu is a little pricey. They send out a flyer with coupons about 3 times a year. It contains 4 coupons for $1.00 off of value basket.
So I eat there about 12 times a year. The burger is very good, but what I love, are the crinkle cut fries.

They are around. They are part of Darden. There's a good chance an Olive Garden is close by.

Darden was doing well and then the recession hit them hard. They spun out Red Lobster. Around this time, we noticed the Bahama Breeze quality in our location slipped and we stopped going. Still, they are alive in our area.

Back
Top Bottom