Remember These Chain Restaurants ? They're Still Hanging On

This may be just a NYC thing, but does anyone remember the Horn & Hardart Automats?

You walked into this cavernous room full of big tables and all the walls were filled with glass windows showing dishes. You put your nickels in the slot and opened the window to take out a hot meal, then took it to a table and ate it.

My personal favorite was a hot dog in a dish of baked beans.

I used to eat at one in NYC when I visited friends there years ago.

At £6 in the slideshow is Tony Roma's ("A Place for Ribs"). On my first two or three visits to the US I saw their outlets, so I assumed it was a huge chain, but it seems that was a coincidence. Then about a year ago they opened one near to our apartment in Palma de Mallorca. I suppose I will have to go in there now, since Tony is clearly following me around!

Used to see Tastee-Freeez everywhere when I was a kid, even in towns too small to have any other chains...now the closest is 3 hours away, with only 23 stores left.

from wikipedia:

Tastee-Freez was founded in 1950 in Joliet, Illinois, by Leo S. Moranz and Harry Axene (formerly of Dairy Queen)...Expansion of the brand was rapid in the 1950s; in 1952, there were 315 locations, and by 1957 there were nearly 1800 locations.

In 1982, Tastee-Freez was sold to the Denovo Corporation of Utica, Michigan, which also owned the Stewart's Restaurants and root beer, Dog n Suds Root beer and drive-ins and B&K Rootbeer drive ins, and Dairy Isle ice cream shops. In 1992, there were 340 locations."

My grandparents opened one in 1953 sold it quickly for a profit and immediately opened another in 1954 in my small hometown in PA. I started working there at 14 and remember a never ending line at the counters on summer nights throughout the 70's.

This may be just a NYC thing, but does anyone remember the Horn & Hardart Automats?

You walked into this cavernous room full of big tables and all the walls were filled with glass windows showing dishes. You put your nickels in the slot and opened the window to take out a hot meal, then took it to a table and ate it.

My mom took me to one circa 1980 when I was a teenager and we went from LI into the city some sightseeing and some of her business (she freelanced). She had told me about those places she went to often when she was younger, and she wanted to show one to me. I don't think they were around much longer after that.

Always wanted to see an Automat, but they closed when I was quite young. I did find a souvenir Horn & Hardart mug at the thrift a couple of years ago...
And Lums! I started going there with my grandparents when I was using a booster seat.
Anyone remember Mister Donut? It still exists in Japan, but I think all the U.S. stores are gone.

Last edited:

My Dad used to take us to Philadelphia on the train at Christmas time . We shopped , saw Santa , went to a movie and ate at the Automat .

My mom took me to one circa 1980 when I was a teenager and we went from LI into the city some sightseeing and some of her business (she freelanced).

My Dad used to take us to Philadelphia on the train at Christmas time . We shopped , saw Santa , went to a movie and ate at the Automat .

We visited NYC somewhere around 1970. My three enduring memories were:
- The Automat
- Statue of Liberty
- The incredible forest (in NJ) at my Dad's army buddy's home

I thought the Automat was simply the coolest thing I ever saw. Pie? Got it, just put your money up and grab the slice. No pie at McDonalds, this was real pie!

I also barely remember the Empire State building trip. But for a midwest boy like me, I was amazed at the "forest" that my Dad's army buddy lived in right there in NJ. His son and I did some wandering that eventually gave me the hiking bug. Yes, to me, NJ was truly the Garden State.

At £6 in the slideshow is Tony Roma's ("A Place for Ribs"). On my first two or three visits to the US I saw their outlets, so I assumed it was a huge chain, but it seems that was a coincidence. Then about a year ago they opened one near to our apartment in Palma de Mallorca. I suppose I will have to go in there now, since Tony is clearly following me around!
I miss real pork ribs. NC is a great place, but every piece of the pig is shredded. Good ribs are hard to find.

In Florida, for a while "Bobby Rubinos" and "Tony Romas" fought it out as both had origins in the state. Both still exist in Florida, but Tony won the war, and apparently is still acquiring new territory as you found out. (5 locations in the UAE. UAE! Clearly, they branched out beyond pork ribs.*) According to the interwebs, Bobby is down to just 2 locations in FL.

[-]Maybe I should try to franchise one in NC with my retirement money.[/-] Nah, bad idea. :)

* - They did. You can view their local menus on the web. In the UAE they serve veal bacon and beef and lamb ribs. I wonder how their lamb ribs are? Of course, in Mallorca they serve pork ribs. With "Carolina Honey." Makes me laugh a bit.

Last edited:
What about Howard Johnson? Eating out at their restaurants in the 1970's with my folks was a real treat, in part because we didn't eat out often. I don't think the food was that memorable, but the eating dinner while watch cars rush UNDERNEATH the restaurant was!

The restaurant was built on an overpass above the highway. The stops had gas stations on either end. The restaurant dominated an enclosed pedestrian mall on the overpass. You definitely wanted a window seat.

The Howard Johnson also had a gift shop. Think Cracker Barrel with dim lighting and '70's orange and brown wood grain.

On a recent re-visit, the Howard Johnson is long gone, replaced by the ubiquitous food court concept. Sadly, no retro wood grain in sight.

Last edited:
What about Howard Johnson? Eating out at their restaurants in the 1970's with my folks was a real treat, in part because we didn't eat out often. I don't think the food was that memorable, but the eating dinner while watch cars rush UNDERNEATH the restaurant was!

The restaurant was built on an overpass above the highway. The stops had gas stations on either end. The restaurant dominated an enclosed pedestrian mall on the overpass. You definitely wanted a window seat.

The Howard Johnson also had a gift shop. Think Cracker Barrel with dim lighting and '70's orange and brown wood grain.

On a recent re-visit, the Howard Johnson is long gone, replaced by the ubiquitous food court concept. Sadly, no retro wood grain in sight.

Illinois Toll road Oasis? These used to all have restaurants and are now food courts. We always stop for a few minutes, sit down, and get mesmerized by the traffic. :) Pretty cool. I do remember as a kid begging mom and dad for a window seat. Now, anyone can get one since they opened it up.

I was looking to find the name of the Automat, that I remember from living in Rhode Island when i was a kid in the 40's. In poking around, couldn't find the name, but did find this 2015 article about restaurants/eating places in Rhode Island.

As we... one at a time, add our "memory" restaurants, this 2015 article lists (scroll down) the restaurants "mostly in Providence"... that have existed over the years....

400................................. :facepalm:

At that, they missed our favorite... "Edward's" nearest my house in Fairlawn. At the corner of 126 and Reservoir Avenue.

Riding Rhode Island: Eat Dust

For fun.... read the comments at the bottom of the page.. adding even more.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom