Retirement gift to self?

A new bicycle with 27 easy to select speeds, hydraulic disk brakes, and a much lighter frame than my old hulk of a bike.

I am 1 yr.3mo. older than DW so I started my SS at FRA 66 but continued w##king until my DW retired 1 yr. and 4 mo. later. All the SS money was saved until then and was then used to pay cash for our retirement camper, as our gift. Our 1st. full year was to be 2020 and we had several long trips planned. Then along came covid, so instead of long trips we had a few 3 to 5 day local trips to camp with most being less than 100 miles from home and the longest being 250 miles away on a COE lake in Alabama for 5 nights. Hopefully 2021 will be more conducive to travel, fingers crossed.

being a WNYer, treated myself to a park model, semi-permanent (skirted, connected to sewer) trailer in WAZ. 'nuff winters for me... 'cept this one; hibernating back in NY til vaccine

Retired back in May 2020 and shopping now for a higher end bicycle for endurance gravel road races. Something with a titanium frame, feathery light and tough as nails carbon fiber tubeless wheels and lightening fast electronic shifting will do nicely.

The DW was - and remains - the epitome of frugality.

When I retired, I started hinting to her about treating myself to one of those little roadsters (like the Mazda Miata).

When the hints were ignored, I finally got up the nerve to broach the subject directly. After a withering look and a brusque "forget it", I made a hasty retreat. :peace:

The DW was - and remains - the epitome of frugality.

When the hints were ignored, I finally got up the nerve to broach the subject directly. After a withering look and a brusque "forget it", I made a hasty retreat. :peace:

:LOL:

Love it. We are slightly the opposite, as I remind DW when we go past budget--but she'd have the same reaction as yours if I wanted to spend part of our travel budget on a car or tractor!

Last edited:
Retired in 2008, went on a looong road trip from California to AZ and up to Canada and the ALCAN highway including up the Dempster Highway to the arctic, had wanted to do that trip for 25 +years, never had the time. Great trip (have an old blog if anyone is interested PM and I'll send the link) It totally changed my mental framework, 7 weeks, 8,000 miles, I was in new territory and could never go back again.

I bought my Jeep Wrangler Rubicon a few months before I retired. It is made for off road trails and was totally useless in SE Virginia. A week after I retired I was back in Colorado and the Jeep is quite handy. It was a great retirement present. Unfortunately, the maintenance record has been quite poor.

When I retired from Megacorp I had a choice of a retirement dinner or a certificate for the maximum Megacorp would allot for the dinner towards a gift catalog. I chose the latter (too many restrictions on the dinner) so got a bunch of things - electronic golf GPS range finder, 10" tablet, cordless drill set, some golf balls, a drone, a few other smaller things.

My biggest "gifts" to myself from our own money are an additional vehicle (SUV), a laptop to replace the one from Megacorp (more power and 32GB of memory), and a 4 wheel golf pushcart.

Nevah thought about a retirement gift for me. lol

I have always just bought an item/product if I needed or wanted something. So, I guess I gifted myself all through life, with really no meaning behind the gift to me.

+1
The thought never occurred to me...

A few years after retirement, I realized we could travel more, so we have been doing that when possible.

Retired five years ago in April and one month later we received our Swiss permanent residency cards. That was more than enough of a gift!

-BB

Last edited:
Didn't think of it that way but I'm going to remodel the den in Tudor style oak.

in 2015, i bought the bike and 2 weeks later i retired. 2 days after retiring i rode the bike to canada and bought the trailer. i thought that was my retirement gift. then in 2016 i bought my true retirement gift. if not for that car i would not have a life. retirement has been a struggle for me mentally, and that car saves my life daily.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1436007987238.jpg
    FB_IMG_1436007987238.jpg
    565.3 KB · Views: 53
  • 32 (11).jpg
    32 (11).jpg
    523.3 KB · Views: 55
IMG_0622.JPG

My second professional model flute. The first one was purchased a few paychecks into my first pediatric job. Also, it included a trip to the Flute Center of New York. And, a year later, a bass flute.

Bought 2019 highlander with 12k on it, will give grandD my 2008 Acura RL. Just in time to snowbird with dad in fla!

We bought a Harley Trike. My DH went to the dealership because he needed a new tire for his Road King and we left with the trike. He loves to tell this story.

I'm currently shopping for a toy car. I'd decided on a Mazda Miata RF, but after driving them, I think I want something with a little more room. There wasn't anywhere to put my purse! Now I'm thinking a Subaru BRZ, or Toyota 86.

My husband told me to "forget it" but I reminded him that he currently has two boats (and has owned many others) has owned a Harley, has a travel trailer and a 4 wheeler. I have not had a vehicle for anything other than daily transportation EVER. I'm buying one. End of argument. [emoji16]

Convinced my Dad and Mom to go on a long cruise with us. I'd missed the chance to join them on their really fancy cruise in the Mediterranean because I was unable to get evil megacorp to agree to that many days in a row, so it was the first thing we did once I walked.

I was going to buy a new car. My spouse suggested it. Got as far as looking around the Acura showroom, sitting in cars.

In the end we walked out. I really liked my then 14 year old Camry and was not excited about a new car. So, it never happened. We traveled internationally for seven months instead.

No special "retirement" present for me.

I just buy the stuff I want whenever I want. No excuses needed - :)

Back
Top Bottom