Retirement gift to self?

I am perfectly capable of telling our boys that they may not drive my car till they're 25. DH is not. They talk him into the most ridiculous things. I hate to see them go to ANY store without me. DH does think I'm a bad driver. I will acknowledge that he is a better driver than me. He drives like a granny. The orange 'Vette would be wasted on him.

I am perfectly capable of telling our boys that they may not drive my car till they're 25. DH is not. They talk him into the most ridiculous things. I hate to see them go to ANY store without me. DH does think I'm a bad driver. I will acknowledge that he is a better driver than me. He drives like a granny. The orange 'Vette would be wasted on him.

I've had a few corvettes over the years. I never would my daughters drive them and they never asked. I had no sons so no worry there. That older C3 in your photo is a nice looking Vette. My DW didn't like any of my Vettes. She couldn't drive a 4 speed manual so that put her at a disadvantage.

I have a nice 2005 Mustang convertible now that I am 77. It's not a GT and has a V6 with fairly low HP. Automatic trans mission too. It's a cruiser.

Good luck finding that fun car....there's lots of choices out there. :)

Lol- thanks. I fell in love with this 1974 Corvette at a car show. I had my checkbook out, but DH said we have two teenage boys. Too dangerous. I agreed. Still shopping though.View attachment 36889

Nice!

I have an older BMW 3-series convertible, into which I put a Chevy LS1. Best of both worlds!

Good luck (and have fun) on your search.

I bought a new car about 18 months before I retired. Since then, a couple of nice pistols, some nice trips and we spend the winters somewhere reasonably warm. Looking at some new golf clubs in the near future and maybe a shotgun.

I am not retired yet.

I plan to buy a new SUV and a new laptop at the time of my retirement. They will be needed for my anticipated enhanced travel in retirement.

Ah, that reminds me.

I bought a cell phone when I retired so the dog sitter could report if needed.

Bought a new road bike the month I retired in 2015 - Trek Domane with Shimano Dura-Ace Di2. Haven't denied myself much since-iPhones every couple of years, feed the hobbies, new golf cart, let the kids drive the older cars while I buy new, etc.

Finally decided I should have better stuff than I buy for my kids :)

I am 1 yr.3mo. older than DW so I started my SS at FRA 66 but continued w##king until my DW retired 1 yr. and 4 mo. later. All the SS money was saved until then and was then used to pay cash for our retirement camper, as our gift. Our 1st. full year was to be 2020 and we had several long trips planned. Then along came covid, so instead of long trips we had a few 3 to 5 day local trips to camp with most being less than 100 miles from home and the longest being 250 miles away on a COE lake in Alabama for 5 nights. Hopefully 2021 will be more conducive to travel, fingers crossed.

We keep our fifth wheel trailer up in Helen, GA in storage at a member owned campground. We've been member/owners for 25 years. We have the truck to haul our rig, but not the desire to go anywhere else.

You have the North GA and East Tennessee mountains to camp in, and wonderful campgrounds on the Tennessee River just a short distance from your home. In these days of the pandemic, we've never experienced any virus gotten from a bear. Many campgrounds are full this year with people distancing and wanting to get out of their homes. Enjoy!

I've been retired 12 years, and the first few years of my staying home were spent moving my parents and aunt into apartments and retirement homes. Breaking down their homes for resale was quite difficult.

We did buy a Lexus just before retirement, and have taken a bunch of European vacations. 4 years into retirement, we replaced a boat and a RV that had seen better days. Then my wife decided to buy a big house that we sold after 4 years and downsized slightly a year ago.

We've been raising a 9 year old granddaughter for the last 4 years, and our lives are centered around her. Her 13 year old brother is with us every other weekend.

We keep our fifth wheel trailer up in Helen, GA in storage at a member owned campground. We've been member/owners for 25 years. We have the truck to haul our rig, but not the desire to go anywhere else.

You have the North GA and East Tennessee mountains to camp in, and wonderful campgrounds on the Tennessee River just a short distance from your home. In these days of the pandemic, we've never experienced any virus gotten from a bear. Many campgrounds are full this year with people distancing and wanting to get out of their homes. Enjoy!

I would like to have our camper in a campground parked at sometime in the future. One of our nieces have theirs in one over near Centre on the lake there, as well as several of our friends. We looked into doing the same thing in the late 90's when we had our 5ver,but we were working too much then to get a lot of use out of it. Then in 2001 I spotted a motorcycle I liked and bought it. After that if I was off on a weekend we would ride. Because of the bikes we have met and rode with people from all over the world. I hosted several "ride ins" and would lead them thru those mountains as well as the areas west of me in your neck of the woods. One of those people a guy named Don was from Huntsville and his wife didn't ride, but always followed us in her convertible so we made it her honorary bike. We still like to ride but not as many long trips hence another camper. If and when we do decide to get a park model it will be somewhere on a body of water, on a mt.stream or a lake somewhere.Give me a shout sometime if you are heading from H'ville to Helen and we might could meet for a meal or coffee. Have a great day. :)

Our retirement gift to ourselves was a new SUV and a new travel trailer, about $50,000 all in, which was equal to about half of the net of the last bonus my spouse received (I retired one year earlier, thus why only his bonus was available/used for the grand send off. My ego felt it important to clarify that. :LOL: ).

We enjoyed the holy heck out of both items, visiting every state in the western US in subsequent years.

Last edited:
The biggest luxury I ever wanted was time to indulge. I left work in July this year and we immediately spent two weeks at a cabin we love on Lake Superior rather than our usual 6 nights. Then I did a solo biking camping trip on some of our state trails. We are headed down south for two months this winter. And I bought myself a really nice omelette pan.

We moved 5000 miles to Paradise. We did have to finish up a couple of things first (oh, like last kid into university, etc.). So far, a good decision and mostly what we had hoped for. As always, YMMV.

Back in 1985, I bought my first good speakers, the Klipsch Forte I. I still have them, 35 years later (and they still sound great). This week, I ordered a significant upgrade, to the Klipsch Cornwall IV. They cost 6 times as much as the Fortes, and should be delivered next week! This is actually a 'pre-retirement' purchase, but I figured, why wait?

Let’s see:

A few months before retiring I bought myself a new SUV, which I thought would match what we were going to do once retired. (It did)

In preparation for retirement DH and I amassed some extra funds that we set aside for travel splurges over the first couple of years of retirement.

I had a lovely trip all set up for us to go on about a week after I retired. That was certainly a celebration. We continued to travel heavily for the next 3.5 years. Then we started RVing, LOL!

I am retiring on 12/31, and I didn't wait to buy myself something! I went totally wild and crazy. Someone call the spendy police. :D :LOL:

Because I plan to spend countless hours reading and doing puzzles:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RHT25ZX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And because I need comfy feet whilst indulging in reading and puzzling:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D2J2E9A/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My third small gift to myself arrived today: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LWYKKXC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have purchased this mug for 4 friends who retired in the last 5 years, and I always promised myself I would buy it for myself when my turn came! :D

Did a quick search and didn't see a thread on this. I apologize if it has been discussed.

What retirement gifts have people treated themselves to? I've been saying for years that I was going to get myself a nice watch (Omega Seamaster). I always wanted a nice (but not flashy) watch.

What have others treated themselves to?

My friend gave himself a new Bentley convertable

When I retired, my DW gave me "stuff" for my 1960's era/vintage cars.... Kept me busy for years.

I am a car guy as well. 57 Chevrolet 67 Camaro Convertible and 1930 Model A Ford Hot Rod Project. I will also be busy for many years. 😎

I am planning a gift to myself. I have been retired for a year and thinking that this summer I will get a new truck and new camper.

Several months after retiring, I bought a new vehicle (Toyota RAV4.). The only reason for buying it was that I received a decent private party price for my old Honda.

I guess old habits do not change.

I

I bought a new vehicle to replace my old Toyota pickup. It’s nice to have one new vehicle in your life. And a Japanese vehicle could very much outlive me at 4500 miles a year! DW also got a new one too.

And I got a great price for that Toyota p/u.

Last edited:
I bought a new Trek bike and the bike shop set it up for me by adjusting it for my size and riding comfort.

Back
Top Bottom