Retirement gift to self?

I haven’t stopped buying retirement gifts for myself. Lots of camera gear, ebike, and a soon to be Ford Bronco

I bought a new set of golf clubs, Mizuno MX300 irons and Callaway woods. At that time I also started to play sr softball so have not used the clubs nearly as much as I expected.

Nothing really. We are somewhat frugal. We are not into toys. Well hubby says he would like this and that but after I explain the cons- meaning expense vs. value- he changes his tune.

I need clothes desperately but with shopping not being pleasant right now I have not bought anything. I am not into jewelry or anything you would think most women enjoy.

We did move to another state so you could say it was our new little house. Our TV broke just before we moved so we splurged on a new one and new sound bar and had it installed on the wall by Best Buy.

We still kept our furniture from our former home- made it work. Being a new house, we did need to do some things to it and buy some stuff. Some were small things like medicine cabinets and grab bars, and others were things like a whole house generator and security system and radon mitigation system. But we stayed in budget from the proceeds of our other home so no extra money was spent past what we received from the sale.

We had plans for a certain lifestyle here but COVID hit a month later so that's was the end of that. Some travel was part of that plan.

At least we don't have to go to work every day.

Dynamax Isata 3 24' motor home. Bought it mainly to make the drive back and forth between Indiana and Florida easier and Covid safer. Had planned a week long trip to northern Michigan last summer when the weather forecast fell apart. Figured what the heck and drove to Yellowstone instead. Loved the trip so much, we are planning a three week trip back west next summer to see the Utah national parks and to see the northeast Yellowstone loop that was closed this year.

I'm currently shopping for a toy car. I'd decided on a Mazda Miata RF, but after driving them, I think I want something with a little more room. There wasn't anywhere to put my purse! Now I'm thinking a Subaru BRZ, or Toyota 86.

How about a Jeep Wrangler? I never owned one but they seem like a lot of fun.

How about a Jeep Wrangler? I never owned one but they seem like a lot of fun.
That's a good idea. The only thing I'd be concerned about with a Jeep, is my son (who is a car nut) tells me that the ride isn't very good (I have to admit that I don't know what he means by that. And him being 16 and not having driven many cars I'm not sure he does either. Does it not handle well? Uncomfortable to ride in?). One of the things I want to use it for is a 2 hour trip I make back and forth to my parents- I'd have to make sure it's comfortable enough for that. I have a friend who has one and has ordered herself a new Bronco. I'll ask her if I can drive it.

If I was gonna get a jeep, it'd be a fully loaded Overland version. Those look very cool. Probably more than they are worth, but I think I'd look bad ass driving it!

That's a good idea. The only thing I'd be concerned about with a Jeep, is my son (who is a car nut) tells me that the ride isn't very good (I have to admit that I don't know what he means by that. And him being 16 and not having driven many cars I'm not sure he does either. Does it not handle well? Uncomfortable to ride in?). One of the things I want to use it for is a 2 hour trip I make back and forth to my parents- I'd have to make sure it's comfortable enough for that. I have a friend who has one and has ordered herself a new Bronco. I'll ask her if I can drive it.
If you are interested in a Wrangler go with the JL Sahara Unlimited(4 door) model best ride in a Wrangler. We've owned 5 and having the newer longer wheelbase definitely helps.

Since retirement we've relocated and have done a great number of activities. The biggest purchase was a new Rubicon Wrangler for DW, I bought a Tesla Model Y to keep up with her. This year we splurged its going to be our highest income year ever!

Last edited:
Did a quick search and didn't see a thread on this. I apologize if it has been discussed.

What retirement gifts have people treated themselves to? I've been saying for years that I was going to get myself a nice watch (Omega Seamaster). I always wanted a nice (but not flashy) watch.

What have others treated themselves to?

Omega's nice - but how about those Gold Rolex ? :dance::D

T The only thing I'd be concerned about with a Jeep, is my son (who is a car nut) tells me that the ride isn't very good (I have to admit that I don't know what he means by that. And him being 16 and not having driven many cars I'm not sure he does either. Does it not handle well? Uncomfortable to ride in?).
A 16 year old boy/car nut.... Maybe he's not looking at the right Jeep... Have him checkout a Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk... Can't even imagine a 16yr old boy car nut not finding something to like about that. (Oh and it's super comfortable too!)

Last edited:
A 16 year old boy/car nut.... Maybe he's not looking at the right Jeep... Have him checkout a Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk... Can't even imagine a 16yr old boy car nut not finding something to like about that. (Oh and it's super comfortable too!)
16 year old is into sports cars. He's currently rooting for a Toyota 86, though he is also lobbying for a muscle car. 13 year old loves trucks and is rooting for the Jeep.

Omega's nice - but how about those Gold Rolex ? :dance::D

Rolex are nice. Just not my thing.

Was looking at them both. Really like a nice watch, but then I realized, I don’t wear a watch anymore. It would be like going out and buying a really nice suit. Just don’t ever wear either anymore.

Was looking at them both. Really like a nice watch, but then I realized, I don’t wear a watch anymore. It would be like going out and buying a really nice suit. Just don’t ever wear either anymore.

Yup, no watch for me since retirement. Put on a tie once.

I bought a storage building for my toys. Accountant was puzzled? He said most men but a sports-car? Well....maybe I bought the garage first :-}

I've owned 2 Miata's and one jeep wrangler. i loved the jeep, but no one else did. i kept it 2 years. the miata's are the most fun car i have ever owned. i jumped ship when miata replaced the power hardtop convertible with the RF. We had many trips in the Miata's, one being 29 days--we always camp! i jumped off the miata train for the vette. camping is great in it too. at my age, i grab fun where i can get it. convertibles keep me healthy.

Attachments

• 8 (26).jpg
    8 (26).jpg
    312.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 33 (7).jpg
    33 (7).jpg
    381.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 50.jpg
    50.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 115 (3).jpg
    115 (3).jpg